For years, brands have utilized various advertising techniques to boost sales, promote their services, and increase brand awareness. However, with evolving customer and their needs, brands have also evolved their advertising techniques.
Today, traditional methods of advertisement is lesser used as compared to digital advertising techniques. From artificial intelligence to virtual reality, all the latest technologies are used by brands to leave a long-lasting memory on the customer’s mind.
The following article has compiled the latest statistics related to the advertising industry. Before compiling the data, we researched and reviewed the figures from trusted sources.
Let’s dive right into it.
Advertising Statistics: At A Glance.
Advertising is a key aspect of any business, and understanding the latest statistics can help you stay ahead of the game.
- In the year 2023, the advertising industry is expected to generate a revenue of $855.9 billion. Besides, in the year 2021, it generated $758.8 billion.
- The global advertising expenditure is expected to grow by 5.4% in 2023.
- More than 70% of internet users are on social media and come across social media advertisements at least once a day.
- Every year, companies pay millions of dollars as fines for false advertising.
- 72% of people prefer video advertising over other forms of advertising.
- 31% of the people that are searching for a business find it through advertisements.
- There has been a 16.1% of growth in the digital marketing industry over the last ten years.
- On every dollar spent, businesses make between $2 to $4 on advertising.
- As of 2023, digital advertising spending is expected to reach $626.86 billion.
- The United States spent almost $285.21 billion on advertising as of 2023.
Advertising Revenue Statistics
- The advertising revenue generated by global media owners is reported to be $855.9 billion in the year 2023. While in the year 2027, the expected revenue of the advertising media owners is 1,059 billion US dollars.
The following table displays the revenue generated by advertising media owners worldwide from the year 2014 to 2027.
Global Spending On Advertising
- The global advertising expenditure is expected to grow by 5.4% in 2023.
The global advertising market experienced peak growth in the year 2021. There was an increase of approximately 20% in the advertising expenditure of the year 2021 as compared to the year 2022.
The following table displays the growth of advertising expenditure over the past year and the predicted values for the future.
|Year||Percentage Of Growth Of Advertising Expenditure.|
- In the year 2024, the spending on newspaper advertising is expected to account for 3.09% of all the advertising spending done worldwide. However, the Internet is the most favored medium for advertisement, with a share of 65.13% of the ad expenditure in a year.
The following table displays the percentage of advertising expenditure in different mediums over a year.
|Medium Of Advertising||Percentage Of Advertising Expenditure Worldwide|
Advertising In The United States.
- The United States is the largest advertising market in the world. The revenue generated by the advertising sector in the country reached approximately $ 154 billion in the year 2021.
The following table displays the revenue generated by the advertising sector in the United States over the past years.
- Amazon is leading the advertising market in the United States. Its investments in advertising reached approximately $10.4 million in the year 2021. At the same time. The investments made by Comcast corp were approximately $6.01 billion.
The following table displays the investments made by the largest advertisers in the United States.
|2||Comcast Corp.||6.01 billion|
|3||Procter & Gamble Co.||5.08 billion|
|4||American Express Co.||3.98 billion|
|5||Walt Disney Co.||3.76 billion|
|6||Alphabet (Google)||3.6 billion|
|7||Warner Bros. Discovery||3.41 billion|
|8||Verizon Communications||3.39 billion|
|10||Charter Communications||3.07 billion|
Global Advertising Trends
- United Nations is the leading global advertisement market in terms of spending. It spent almost $285 billion on advertising in the year 2021. The US is followed by China and Japan, with advertising expenditures of $97.31 billion and $51.68 billion.
The following table displays the advertising expenditure of the worlds leading market as of 2021.
|Sr. No.||Country||Advertising Spending|
|1||United States||285.21 billion|
|4||United Kingdom||38.28 billion|
|10||South Korea||12.43 billion|
Also Read: Trends In SEO (2023)
- According to the recent forecast by Statista, India is the highest-growing advertisement market around the globe, with an expenditure growth rate of 55.5% on the major media. It is followed by Egypt and Vietnam, with an expected growth rate of 48.7% and 46.3%.
The following table shows the advertising markets with the highest media expenditure growth rates between the years 2021 and 2024.
|Rank||Country||Expected Growth Rate Between 2021 And 2024.|
- In the year 2021, United States was claimed to have the most creative market around the globe with 2,451.1 points. It was followed by the United Kingdom and France in creativity with 812.2 and 413.3 points.
The following table displays the creativity points earned by different markets around the world.
|8||United Arab Emirates||285.9|
Digital Advertising Statistics
- Digital advertising spending in the year 2023 is forecasted to reach $626.86 billion in the year 2023. Besides, in the year 2021, $522.5 billion was spent on digital advertising.
The following table displays the expenditure on digital advertising around the globe over the years.
|Year||Digital Advertising Expenditure Worldwide|
- Search advertising reached $164.6 billion by the year 2022. It is expected to reach 177.363 billion in 2023.
The following table displays the internet advertising spending worldwide in different formats.
|Year||Total||Online video||Social Media||Classified||Search|
|2024||352.255 billion||95.396 billion||232.382 billion||18.277 billion||190.496 billion|
|2023||316.647 billion||83.731 billion||205.680 billion||17.533 billion||177.363 billion|
|2022||289.828 billion||74.595 billion||187.032 billion||17.346 billion||164.607 billion|
|2021||244.048 billion||62.142 billion||152.529 billion||20.545 billion||152.828 billion|
|2020||191.555 billion||48.365 billion||112.663 billion||19.764 billion||122.461 billion|
|2019||175.031 billion||45.250 billion||93.563 billion||24.970 billion||103.696 billion|
|2018||149.401 billion||36.834 billion||75.205 billion||22.763 billion||92.640 billion|
|2017||120.095 billion||30.434 billion||53.190 billion||20.681 billion||82.841 billion|
|2016||98.112 billion||24.330 billion||36.743 billion||15.613 billion||63.720 billion|
|2015||79.628 billion||19.074 billion||23.609 billion||13.995 billion||63.720 billion|
- Internet advertising spending has increased rapidly over the past years. In North America, internet advertising is expected to reach $242.54 billion in the year 2023. At the same time in the Asia Pacific region, it is forecasted to reach $151.56 billion.
The following table displays the internet advertising spending of different regions around the globe.
|Central & Eastern Europe||9,514 million||6,753 million||7,043 million||7,829 million|
|Latin America||10,304 million||11,693 million||13,292 million||14,546 million|
|Western Europe||75,321 million||82,621 million||89,840 million||96,978 million|
|Asia Pacific||124,987 million||140,860 million||151,569 million||163,797 million|
|North America||191,677 million||223,470 million||242,540 million||269,283 million|
|Middle East & North Africa||5,026 million||5,779 million||6,646 million||7,975 million|
- In the year 2023, the change in digital advertising spending worldwide for paid search is forecasted to be 7.2%. At the same, the spending on display ads and classified ads is expected to grow by 7.6% and 2.3% respectively.
The following table shows the percentage change in digital advertising spending on different formats worldwide.
Traditional Advertising Statistics
- Newspaper advertising spending worldwide is estimated to reach $27.19 billion by the end of the year 2023. While in the year 2021, $29.84 billion was spent on newspaper advertising.
The following table displays the newspaper advertising expenditure worldwide over the years.
|Year||Newspaper Advertising Expenditure Worldwide.|
- The magazine advertisement spending was responsible for 3.4% of the global advertising spending, while in the year 2022, it contributed just 3% to the advertising spending.
The following table displays the percentage share of magazine spending in the global ads spending.
|Year||Share Percentage Of Magzine Spendings|
- The revenue generated by global television advertisements is expected to reach $169 billion by the end of the year 2023. Besides, in the year 2021, it was recorded to be $162 billion in the year 2021.
The following table shows the revenue generated by the global tv advertising sector.
|Year||Revenue Generated By Global Television Advertising.|
- In the Middle East and North Africa, TV advertising spending worldwide is reported to be 2.195 billion. At the same time, TV advertising spending in Central and Eastern Europe was reported to be $5.65 billion.
The following table shows the TV advertising spending in different regions over the years.
|Middle East & North Africa||2,358 million||2,231 million||2,195 million||2,234 million|
|Central & Eastern Europe||7,284 million||5,552 million||5,655 million||5,848 million|
|Latin America||12,718 million||13,218 million||13,951 million||14,657 million|
|Western Europe||28,420 million||28,771 million||29,009 million||29,313 million|
|Asia Pacific||55,919 million||54,193 million||54,464 million||55,692 million|
|North America||64,663 million||66,812 million||64,114 million||68,965 million|
- Radio advertising spending worldwide is expected to reach $29.63 billion in the year 2023. Besides, in the year 2021, it was recorded to be 28.5 billion.
The following table shows the expenditure spent worldwide on advertising.
|Year||Radio Advertising Expenditure.|
- Out-of-home advertising spending is forecasted to reach $42.14 billion in the year 2023. Comparatively, in the year 2021, the OOH expenditure was recorded to be $35.75 billion.
The following table displays the OOH advertising spending over the years.
|Year||Out-Of-Home Advertising Spending|
Conclusion: Advertising Statistics (2023)
The digital advertising sector is acquiring a larger market share of the advertising industry. Hence, in the coming years, it will be interesting to see the decline in expenditure on traditional media and the increase in expenditure on digital media.
Above all, the usage of the latest technologies will make the advertisement more engaging in the upcoming years. Hence, the expenditure of the companies in the advertising sector will increase which will lead to increased consumers.
You can check out our website for more updates on the latest facts and figures of the industries.