If you’ve been monitoring the cryptocurrency scene, the emergence of DeFis against established financial services and the values of some NFT assets seem to defy plain logic. Although the crypto scene is currently in a blood bath due to recent events like the Luna crash, many of you might wonder what’s next?
Though we can’t forecast what will happen exactly, we can make informed projections about the many trends that will shape this space in the coming years. Emerging technologies surround us. Identifying a worthy strategy, evaluating its market potential, and then applying the necessary skills to develop it successfully is critical in how we do business.
These 2023 blockchain statistics will help you analyze the crypto-verse and its possible future. We are calling all marketers and crypto enthusiasts to dive into the latest facts and figures.
Let’s begin, shall we?
Top Blockchain Statistics 2023
- With a compound annual growth rate of 56.3%, the blockchain industry will be worth $163.83 billion by 2029.
- There are over 170 million blockchain wallets worldwide (Blockchain.com users + Coinbase users)
- The global spending on blockchain solutions will reach $19 billion by 2024.
- There are over 85 million bitcoin block explorer blockchain.com wallets users worldwide as of March 2023.
- Around 336,600 Bitcoin transactions are carried out in a single day as of March 2023.
- 10% of the global population own cryptocurrencies.
- 16% of Americans have invested in cryptocurrency.
- Using blockchain, financial institutions can save up to $12 billion every year.
- Blockchain technology in the healthcare sector globally is predicted to reach $231.0 million by 2023, with a 63% growth rate over the next six years.
- Moving securities to blockchains might save $17 billion to $24 billion in global trading processing fees annually.
General Blockchain Statistics 2023
- From 2022 to 2030, the worldwide blockchain technology industry is predicted to grow at an 85.9 percent CAGR.
- By 2026, the worldwide blockchain market will be worth $67.4 billion.
- Banking is the sector with the highest distribution of blockchain market value.
Here is a table showing the highest distribution of blockchain market value by sector.
- Blockchain is mostly used in cross-border payments and settlements.
- As per a Pwc “time for trust” report, By 2030, blockchain will increase global GDP by $1.76 trillion.
- blockchain-based cryptocurrencies can potentially produce up to $1 billion in income for the banking sector alone.
- The global spending on blockchain solutions will reach $19 billion by 2024.
The table shows the global spending on blockchain solutions from 2017 to 2024.
|Year||Spendings on Blockchain Solution|
- Most consumers prefer mobile wallets to other types of blockchain wallets.
- 3.937 Bitcoin transactions were carried out every second on March 17th 2023.
- The total cost of incorporating blockchain into the healthcare sector might reach $5.61 billion by 2025.
Sources: Statista, Markets and Markets, BIS, Ycharts, Economic Times, Binance, Deloitte.
Business Blockchain Statistics
- According to a Deloitte survey, 86% of people believe Blockchain technology can enhance our integration toward more touchless business processes.
- In the Same survey, 91% of respondents expected to see a quantitative, verifiable return on their blockchain investments in the next five years.
- 60% of Chief information officers across industries are on the verge of incorporating blockchain into their infrastructure.
- Blockchain was acknowledged as a critical component of corporate infrastructure by 53% of C-level executives.
- By 2026, blockchain in the food and agriculture industries will be worth $1.48 billion.
- Here are the top 10 companies that use blockchain technology. Check the complete list here on Forbes.
|Companies||Blockchain Network Used|
|Allianz||Hyperledger Fabric, Corda|
|Andreessen Horowitz||Bitcoin, Ethereum, Solana, Flow, Celo, Near, Arweave and others|
|A.P. Moller—Maersk||TradeLens, Hyperledger Fabric|
|BHP||MineHub, Hyperledger Fabric|
- The size of the industrial blockchain market will increase to $85.64 billion in 2023.
Sources: Deloitte, Forbes, BIS, Gartner, PwC, Statista, Coingecko, Finances Online.
Blockchain Demographic Statistics
- Men are twice as likely as women to invest in cryptocurrencies.
- 36% of blockchain users have an annual salary of $100,000 or more.
- The gender gap in cryptocurrencies is wider than the gap in traditional investments currently in place.
- As per a survey by CNBC and Acorn, 16% of men and 7% of women invest in blockchain technology.
Here are the findings from that survey in table form.
|Investment Type||Share of Males Investing||Share of Females Investing|
- North America receives the most cryptocurrency value compared to the rest of the world.
Here is the table showing global regions receiving the total crypto value.
|Region||Total crypto value Received|
|Central and Southern Asia||13%|
- 86 percent of Americans have heard at least once about blockchain, with 24% having heard a lot about the technology.
- 82% of crypto users hold a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- 13% of USA adults say they know nothing about cryptocurrencies.
- Asian, Black, and Hispanic American adults are more likely to have invested in, traded in, or used a blockchain technology than White American adults.
- 58% of cryptocurrency owners are under the age of 34.
Sources: Statista, Blockchain.com, Exploding topics, Binance, Economic Times, Forbes.
Essential Blockchain Trends and Other Statistics
- Secure information exchange is the most important element pushing blockchain adoption. Improved access to payments and financial instruments are other major drivers of blockchain adoption.
- Nearly 80% of central banks throughout the world are considering launching their own cryptocurrency.
- By 2030, blockchain will generate more than $3.1 trillion in commercial value.
- By 2027, the Internet of Things (IoT) will be worth around $1,463.2 billion.
- 52% of FSIs feel blockchain will be useful for customer verification.
- According to a Deloitte poll, 86% of tech-savvy teams feel Blockchain has significant benefits.
- According to a Deloitte poll, 68% of executives say data security and privacy are the areas most in need of improvement to accelerate blockchain implementation.
- By 2025, blockchain will have been used in 55% of healthcare applications.
- More than 100 Chinese companies provide blockchain applications in the real economy.
- Blockchain has been used to transfer over $270 billion in assets.
- South Korea’s blockchain market worth began at around $20.1 billion in 2016 and is expected to reach $356.2 billion in 2023.
- The blockchain gaming industry is expected to grow to $39.7 billion by 2025.
Sources: Deloitte, Coindesk, Economic Times, Binance, Statista, PwC, Gartner.
How Many People Own Bitcoin
Blockchain.com is a platform that enables buying Bitcoin, almost 85 million users had made individual Bitcoin wallets as of March 2023. This is a 102% increase in users over the previous year and an increase of 42 million people from 2019.
Another popular platform for accessing Bitcoin is Coinbase, which has more than 108 million bitcoin users. This totals more than 193 million Bitcoin wallets.
- The Bitcoin blockchain is 464.83 Gigabytes in size as of March 2023. Its size was 1.02 Gigabytes in February 2012.
- The FBI holds 1.5% of all bitcoins in the world.
- 21 million bitcoins can exist at the same time.
- As of 2023, nearly 90% of Bitcoins are already mined.
- 1 Bitcoin transaction consumes 2,188 kilowatt-hours of energy. If we compare it to VISA transactions, 100000 VISA transactions consume 148.63 kilowatt-hours of energy.
- It is forecasted that the last Bitcoin will be mined in the year 2140.
- Bitcoin is priced at $27,344.60 as of 18th March 2023.
Image Credit: Statista.
- There are 85 million bitcoin block explorer blockchain.com wallet users worldwide as of March 2023.
- Around Bitcoin transactions are carried out in a single day as of March 2023.
- There are 14,915 Bitcoin ATMs (Automated Teller Machines) globally.
- There are 11,386 Bitcoin ATMs in the United States.
- The United States has 89.4% of the world’s Bitcoin ATMs.
- Genesis Coin is the top Bitcoin ATM producer globally.
- Microstrategy is the public company with the most Bitcoins on its balance sheet.
Here is the list of Top Public Companies with the most Bitcoins on their balance sheet:
|Company||Bitcoins on the Balance sheet|
|Marathon Digital Holdings||8,133|
Image Credit: Statista.
Sources: Statista, Binance, Coindesk, OpenSea.
Ethereum Specific Statistics
- There are 120.45 million Ethereum in circulation as of March 2023.
- Ethereum doesn’t have a supply limit like Bitcoin.
- 1.043 million transactions were carried out on the Ethereum blockchain daily as of 18th March 2023.
- There are 413904 Active Ethereum Addresses as of 16th March 2023.
- Ethereum has a 63.4% market share in the overall Defi market.
- OpenSea is the most popular address on the Ethereum Blockchain.
- Ethereum’s price is $1064.81 at the time of writing this article.
- Ethereum and Bitcoin together make up over half of the cryptocurrency market.
- Over 3,000 Decentralized apps (Dapps) are currently on the Ethereum blockchain.
- There are mainly 4 types of blockchain networks:
- Private blockchain,
- Public blockchain,
- Hybrid blockchain,
- Consortium blockchain.
Sources: Statista, Ycharts, Coinmarketcap, coindesk.
Conclusion: Blockchain Statistics (2023)
That was my set of up-to-date Blockchain statistics as of 2023.
The Blockchain industry may have suffered somewhat in the second quarter of 2022 due to the great LUNA crash, but it is bouncing back. The technology is highly sophisticated and will surely make its way into web 3.0 as we enter the metaverse.
As they say in the Crypto community, #DYOR (Do Your Own Research) before investing. Let this statistical guide be your friend in #DYOR. I will keep updating this space with more facts and figures as I keep getting my hands on them. Until then, happy reading.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How many blockchains are there as of 2023?
There are over one thousand blockchains globally with four main types of networks. These networks are Public blockchain, Private blockchain, Hybrid blockchain and Consortium blockchain.
- What are the biggest blockchains in 2023?
Bitcoin, Ethereum, Tether, BNB, and USD coin are five of the biggest blockchain networks by market cap as of March 2023.
- What are the most popular blockchain networks to consider in 2023?
Ethereum, Avalanche, Cardano, and Polkadot are some of the important and interesting blockchain projects that people should consider in 2023 and beyond.