Cloud computing is growing rapidly and is being adopted by businesses of all sizes. The technology has become more mature and reliable over the years. Currently, 92% of businesses globally have adopted a multi-cloud strategy.
With such high adoption rates, global cloud computing spending is expected to reach $2.29 trillion by 2032.
Let us have a closer look at the cloud computing infrastructure and insights associated with it in this post.
Cloud Computing Statistics (Top Picks)
- 60% of the world’s corporate data is stored in the cloud.
- 94% of the companies worldwide use some type of cloud computing services.
- The global cloud computing market is expected to grow from $480 billion in 2022 to $2.297 trillion by 2032.
- With 32%, Amazon AWS owns the highest cloud computing market share.
- 39% of the businesses reported that they have experienced data breaches in their cloud environment.
- The public spending on cloud computing services worldwide is predicted to reach $597.3 billion in 2023, growing at a rate of 21.7%.
- 92% of businesses have adopted a multi-cloud strategy.
- The cloud technology market is anticipated to reach $864 billion by 2025, growing at a CAGR of 12.8% annually.
- Global data storage will exceed 200 zettabytes of data by 2025.
Bonus: Check out Big data statistics for further details about the data and data centers worldwide.
Cloud Computing Market Statistics
- The cloud computing market size in the United States is predicted to grow at a CAGR of 16.80% between 2023 and 2032.
The cloud computing market in the United States was valued at $97.44 billion in 2022. The market is predicted to reach $458.45 billion by the end of 2032.
Source: Precedence research.
- The global cloud computing market is forecasted to cross $2.297 trillion by 2032.
The market was valued at $480 billion in 2022 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 17% between 2023 and 2032.
Source: Precedence research.
- The cloud application market is valued at $153.6 billion as of 2023.
The market is anticipated to reach $168.6 billion by the end of 2025.
The following table displays the market value of the cloud application market over the years:
Cloud Computing Market Share
- Amazon AWS holds the highest share of the cloud market worldwide.
Amazon AWS owns a 32% share in the cloud computing market. Microsoft Azure follows it with an 18% market share. These are the only two players who have a market share in double digits.
Here is a table showing the market share of top cloud computing providers worldwide:
|Cloud Computing Providers||Market Share|
- North America holds 61% of the cloud computing market share worldwide.
At the same time, western Europe holds 21% of the market share, and all other regions combined hold 18%.
- The SaaS segment is dominating the cloud computing market with a share of 55%.
Cloud Computing Growth Statistics
- The DaaS sector in Cloud Computing witnessed the highest growth in 2022.
The sector grew by 30.7%. At the same time, the LaaS and PaaS sectors also witnessed considerable growth in 2022.
Here are further details about the growth rate of DaaS, IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, and BPaaS recorded in 2021 and 2022:
|Industry||2021 Market Growth||2022 Market Growth|
Cloud Computing Revenue Statistics
- In the U.S., SaaS segment revenue was $110 billion in 2022.
Here is a table showing the revenue of SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS segments from 2017 to 2022 in the U.S.
|Year||SaaS Revenue||PaaS Revenue||IaaS Revenue|
|2022||$110 billion||$44.7 billion||$51.3 billion|
|2021||$98 billion||$34.9 billion||$39.4 billion|
|2020||$86.9 billion||$26.1 billion||$28.8 billion|
|2019||$78.3 billion||$18.8 billion||$19.5 billion|
|2018||$68.2 billion||$13.1 billion||$12.9 billion|
|2017||$52.8 billion||$8.9 billion||$8.8 billion|
- Database as a service (dbPaaS) was valued at $12.1 billion in 2022.
Here is a table showing the income of cloud computing by segment in 2022:
|The Segment Of Cloud Computing||Income|
Source: Zippia, Techjury.
Cloud Computing Spending Statistics
- The spending on public cloud services worldwide is forecasted to grow by 21.7% in 2023.
With this growth, spending on public cloud services worldwide will increase from $491 billion in 2022 to $597.3 billion in 2023.
- Cloud spending in public sector services is forecasted to grow at a CAGR of 3.11% from 2019 to 2024.
- $591.79 billion will be spent on public cloud services for end-users worldwide in 2023.
That is an increase of $101.46 million since the last year. This growth is being driven by the increasing adoption of cloud-based applications and services across all industries, as well as the need for businesses to scale their IT infrastructure quickly and efficiently.
The following table displays the total spending on public cloud services end-users worldwide over the years:
|Year||Spending On Public Cloud Services End-User|
- $195.21 billion in total spending on software as a service (SaaS) end-user worldwide as of 2023.
The following table displays the total spending on software as a service (SaaS) end-users worldwide from 2015 to 2023.
|Year||Spending On SaaS End User|
Cloud Computing Adoption and Usage Statistics
- 94% of enterprises worldwide have adopted cloud computing.
9 in 10 organizations with over 100 employees have a lot of their workload in the cloud.
Source: Cloud Zero.
- 75% of CFOs carry out a more agile business system.
Here is a table showing how business leaders see cloud usage in the coming years.
|How Business Leaders See Cloud Usage In The Coming Year||Share Of Respondents|
|CFOs to carry out a more agile business system||75%|
|Employers expect higher-than-normal cloud usage||50%|
|Cloud spending will increase across all industries||37%|
- 67% of enterprises have cloud-based infrastructure.
Here is a table showing the current enterprise public cloud adoption worldwide from 2017 to 2022 by service.
- 92% of all companies have implemented a multi-cloud strategy in their workplaces as of 2023.
- An average person uses 36 cloud-based services every day.
Meanwhile, the enterprises use an average of 1295 cloud services. This number was 1022 in 2017.
- 87% of companies have a hybrid-cloud strategy.
- Google Drive is the most used cloud storage service, with 94%.
This is likely due to its integration with other Google products, such as Gmail and Google Docs, as well as its generous free storage allowance of 15 GB. One more reason is the sheer number of Android users; as well all know, Google owns Android! And the majority of the users make use of Google’s cloud storage.
Other popular cloud storage services include Dropbox, OneDrive, and iCloud.
Here is a table showing the top most used cloud storage services:
|Cloud Storage Services||Use|
- 71% of people use cloud services to store their photos.
- More than 100 zettabytes of data will be stored in the cloud by 2025 in the United States.
Source: Finance Online, Statista, saasworthy.com, Cloudwards.net, Explodingtopic.com.
Cloud Gaming Statistics
- The experts predicted the cloud gaming market will reach $7.24 billion by 2027.
The market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 47.90% from 2022 to 2027. Currently, the market is valued at $4.80 billion.
Here is a table showing the total revenue from cloud gaming recorded over the years:
|Year||Cloud Gaming Revenue|
- There is a total of 3.07 billion cloud games as of 2023 worldwide.
Here is a table showing the total number of cloud games worldwide from 2015 to 2023:
|Year||Number Of Cloud Games|
Source: Finance Online.
Cloud Computing Security Statistics
- 39% of the businesses have experienced data breaches in their cloud environment in 2023.
This was an increase of 35% compared to the previous year. Over 55% of the companies reported human errors as the leading cause of these data breaches.
- 93% of businesses said cloud security is their number one concern.
Here is a table showing the concerns of cloud computing according to business:
|Concerns||Share Of Respondents|
|Visibility in the file downloads||45%|
|DLP policy violations||50%|
|External sharing from the cloud||55%|
- 60% of all corporate data was stored in the cloud in 2022.
48% of companies have stored their sensitive data in the cloud in 2022. Besides, 51% of organizations never used encrypted protection for their data on the cloud.
- 81% of enterprises said security is their top challenge while using cloud services worldwide.
Other major challenges include managing cloud spend (79%) and governance (75%)
Here is a table showing the top cloud challenges according to enterprises worldwide:
|Top Cloud Challenge||Share Of Respondents|
|Managing Cloud Spend||79%|
- According to 68% of Cyber Security Experts, cloud infrastructure is the primary cloud security concern.
Further, 58% think unauthorized access is a major problem.
The following table displays the most pressing cloud security concerns:
|Cyber Security Concerns||Share Of Respondents|
|External data sharing||43%|
Source: Finance Online, Explodingtopics.com.
- 68% of users think misconfiguration of the cloud/wrong setup is the top challenge in cloud computing.
Here is a table showing the top 5 challenges of Cloud Computing:
|Top Challenges||Share Of Respondents|
|Misconfiguration of the cloud/wrong setup||68%|
|Hijacking of accounts, services, or traffic||50%|
|External sharing of data||43%|
Source: Finance online.
COVID-19 Impact On Cloud Computing Statistics
- 61% of organizations have already shifted their workloads to the cloud during the Pandemic in the United States.
87% of employees shifted quickly to the cloud due to the implementation of remote work during the pandemic.
Still, many people are relying on cloud storage even though the pandemic restrictions have long gone, and work resumes normally.
Did you know? 99% of digital nomads worldwide store their work on the cloud.
- The spending on cloud increased by 37% during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
During that period, the spending on the cloud was recorded to be $29 billion.
Source: Finance Online.
The total cloud computing market growth was 6.1% in 2022, 18.4% in 2021, and 18.8% in 2022.
60% of all corporate data and 48% of companies stored their sensitive data in the cloud in 2022.
The global cloud computing market was valued at $483.98 billion as of 2023, and the expert predicted that this market will grow at a CAGR of 14.10% from 2023 to 2030.