Digital marketing is crucial for businesses of all sizes in current times. The global digital advertising market is expected to reach $602.25 billion this year.
If you are a business or a marketer looking for the latest insights into the digital marketing landscape, this post is for you. We’ll discuss facts and figures of Email marketing, PPC, SEO, E-commerce, influencer marketing, and a lot of other things.
Let’s get into it real quick. Shall we?
Digital Marketing Statistics 2023 (Top Picks)
- Digital advertising spending is forecasted to reach $602.25 billion in 2023.
- Search Advertising is the digital market’s biggest segment, with a volume of $202.40 billion.
- The United States will have the largest ad spending globally, with an estimated $232.70 billion.
- The average spending per user on an advertisement in the Social Media segment is forecasted to be $45.11.
- 69% of the overall advertisement spending will be generated via smartphones by 2026.
- Roughly 87% of the Digital Advertising revenue will be generated via programmatic advertising in 2026.
- Digital marketing’s compound annual growth rate is expected to be 17.6% between 2021 and 2026.
- Social Media advertisement spending will amount to over $230 billion in 2023.
Source: Statista, WordStream, PR Newswire.
General Digital Marketing Statistics
- The Digital Marketing industry is predicted to reach $807 billion by 2026.
- Desktop takes 39% of the share in ad spending as of 2023, while smartphones take the remaining 61%.
- By 2026, desktops will have 31% of the ad spending share, and mobile phones will have 69%
- Non-programmatic ad spending holds a mere 16% share in 2023, while programmatic holds 84%.
- 49% of marketers say that organic search has the best ROI.
- 20% of businesses say they measure Digital Marketing’s success by measuring the number of leads generated.
- 72% of the marketing budget goes towards Digital Marketing, according to a survey from Gartner.
- Google processes 8.5 billion searches each day as of 2023.
- Google is the world’s biggest search engine, catering to 92% of global searches.
- The marketing job demand is set to increase by 10% by 2026, as per a survey by the Bureau of Labor.
- Customers spend 50% more with businesses that respond to reviews at regular intervals.
- Over 90% of people read reviews online before making a purchasing decision.
- Digital Advertisements can increase a brand’s awareness by 80%
- 62% of marketers use software for Customer Relationship Management.
Sources: TechJury, Statista, Wikipedia, Gartner, Bureau of Labor, WordStream, Hubspot.
Email Marketing Statistics
Email Marketing is a crucial element in Digital Marketing. It can get you an ROI of $36 if you do it right. That is 3600% returns. Crazy right? When you form your email marketing strategy, keep these statistics mentioned below in mind.
You can also check our dedicated post on Email Marketing Statistics to brainstorm your next campaign.
- 4.37 billion around the globe send 347.3 billion emails every day as of 2023.
- There will be 4.73 billion email users by 2026.
- Email Marketing generates $36 for every $1 spent.
- Emails that include a call to action button have 37% higher click-through rates.
- More than a quarter of emails (36.6%) are opened by smartphone users every day.
- Mobile-friendly email is the second most popular strategy implemented by email marketers to increase their ROI.
- 20% of marketing email campaigns are not optimized for mobile phones.
- Revenue from Email Marketing is worth $8.49 billion as of 2023.
- Mondays have the highest opening rate (22%), while Sundays have the lowest with 20.3%.
- Tuesdays have the highest click-through rates (2.4%), while Saturdays and Sundays observe the lowest CTR (2.1%).
- 82% of digital marketers implement email marketing globally, out of which 65% use automated emails.
- 48% of brands make use of videos in their email marketing campaigns.
- Nearly 70% of email recipients can tell if an email is spam simply by reading its subject line.
- The conversion rate increases by 56% if an Email has an emoji in its subject line rather than plain text.
- Marketing emails have an opening rate of 18%, a CTR of 2.6%, and a CTOR of 14.1% globally.
- The unsubscription rate of marketing emails is 0.1% globally.
- Customers spend 10 seconds going through brand emails on average.
- 46% of customers prefer to be contacted by brands via emails
E-commerce Marketing Statistics
The e-commerce scene has been booming for the last decade, and the COVID-19 pandemic gave a huge push to that craziness. The E-commerce sector is now worth $4.9 billion. These e-commerce statistics are crucial for your Digital Marketing Strategy.
You can check our dedicated post on E-commerce Statistics Here.
- 2.14 billion people, equivalent to 27% of the world’s population, are shopping online.
- 69% of total eCommerce traffic comes from an organic source (Google)
- 60% of Millennials will visit Amazon before making a purchase online.
- The average conversion rate for e-commerce websites is between 1.81% and 3.71%
- People trust product reviews from their friends and family 80% of the time.
- E-commerce websites have a conversion rate of 2.90%
- Shopify has the most out of 24 million e-commerce websites globally, with 5.6 million.
- 64.7% of online shoppers prefer to buy products that have content written in their mother tongue.
- The CRO strategy is not present in 68% of small-scale businesses.
Mobile Commerce Statistics
Mobile e-commerce accounts for $3.4 trillion in retail e-commerce sales. That is HUGE! While mobile phones are now the preferred way of doing almost anything online due to the ease of use and availability, Optimizing your marketing campaigns for mobile phones is important. Here is a list of statistics that will help you do so.
- Smartphones account for 70% of all eCommerce visits.
- 93% of millennials use smartphones to compare online deals.
- 53% of smartphone users prefer to shop from their favorite business’s app.
- 65% of customers surf similar products on their mobile phones while in a store.
- $3.4 trillion worth of online retail e-commerce sales come from smartphones.
- M-commerce websites’ bounce rates increase by 32% when their loading times jump from 1 to 3 seconds.
- 32% of customers decide their position about buying something in a store after looking up a similar product online on their smartphones.
- Mobile application conversion rates are 3x higher than a mobile website.
- Over 70% of online buyers prefer to buy from well-optimized websites that offer them a smoother shopping experience.
- 62% of customers are less likely to shop with you again if they have a bad experience with your website’s functioning.
- Adding Call To Action buttons can increase clicks by 45%.
- 61% of people tend to shop on mobile websites that allow them to apply search filters.
Sources: Demandsage Survey, Lucid Advertising,
SEO is the backbone of any Digital Marketing strategy. No matter how quality leads you generate through an ad campaign if the leads are unhappy with your site’s experience, they just won’t convert. SEO is an umbrella term and has many aspects to it. The statistics below will help you understand its importance.
- The SEO industry is worth over $50 billion in 2023.
- Organic traffic is responsible for 53% of traffic to all websites.
- Brands with a dedicated blog have a 55% more traffic rate than those that don’t.
- 75% of people don’t go beyond Google’s first result page.
- Leads generated via SEO have a 15% closing rate.
- The #1 page on Google’s search results has an average 32% click rate.
- The #1 page has 1500 words on it on average.
- Nearly 50% of businesses claim that SEO is their best ROI generator.
- 86% of people ignore paid advertisements.
- More than half (55%) of the world’s internet traffic comes via smartphones.
- 92% of keywords have less than 10 searches each month.
- 25% of small business websites don’t have an H1 tag.
- Semrush is the most widely used SEO tool, with over 10 million paying users.
We reviewed Semrush with real world examples. Check it out!
Local SEO Statistics
Local SEO is important for businesses of all sizes, but it is especially important for small businesses and local businesses that have walk-in customers.
Here are some insights pointing towards the importance of local SEO.
- 88% of people who search for a local business over the web are likely to visit them within 24 hours.
- 36% of local searches result in a purchase
- Local searches contribute 22.6% of website traffic.
- 82% of consumers read online reviews for local businesses
- 93% of consumers use Google Maps when searching for a business.
- 54% of smartphone users search for business hours on Google.
- Google My Business Has an Average of 11 photos per Listing.
- Google My Business listings with contact information receive 94% of calls on working days.
- 71% of people surveyed say that positive Google My Business reviews made them more likely to use a business
Source: Ahrefs, Hubspot, Think With Google, Gitnux, Publer.io, Grazemarketing.
Content Marketing Statistics
Organic search and referral traffic is the largest and most effective source of marketing ROI for brands. In every industry — ranging from technology to manufacturing and non-profits to pharma.
And it’s all generated by content marketing. So here are some insightful facts about content marketing that will help you curate your digital marketing strategy in 2023.
Sage Reads: Insights on content marketing.
- 80% of those who considered themselves very successful in content marketing have documented their content marketing strategies.
- Nearly 80% of very successful content marketers spend more than 10% of their total marketing budgets on content. Just 52% of those who are unsuccessful spend more than 10%.
- The majority of the marketers said that “researching the audience” was the #1 factor for achieving success in content marketing.
Here is the list of other top factors that marketers consider important:
|Factor||Share of Votes Received|
|Researching the audience||47%|
|Search Engine Optimization||465%|
|Publishing More Content, Increasing Posting Frequency||45%|
|Improving The Quality and Value of Our Content||44%|
|Updating and Repurposing Existing Content||42%|
- Even though the most quality leads are generated via organic traffic and referrals, acquiring them isn’t a piece of cake. That is why marketers rate “attracting quality leads with content” as the most challenging thing while doing content marketing.
Here is a table showing the other top challenges:
|Content Marketing Challenges||Share of Votes|
|Attracting Quality Leads With Content||45%|
|Creating More Content Faster||38%|
|Generating Content Ideas||35%|
|Generating Enough Traffic Via Content||35%|
|Generating ROI and Sales With Content||34%|
|Ranking In Search Engines||29%|
- 27% of marketers have a budget of less than $1000 monthly for content marketing. 20% of marketers have a budget of 3 to 5K, while only 6% have a budget of over $20,000.
- 52% of marketers say social media and community building is a top priority, as is improving content quality, followed by audience research.
- 45% of marketers say that Videos are the top-performing content for their brands.
Here is a table showing the top-performing content for marketers globally:
|Content Type||Share of Votes|
|Long-form blog posts||24%|
|Webinar and Online Events||18%|
PPC (pay-per-click) can start driving qualified leads to your site in a quick way while you also invest in organic means. Let us take a look at some interesting figures associated with PPC advertising in this section.
- Companies are projected to spend $190.5 billion on search advertising globally in 2024.
- Over 50% of ad clicks happen on mobile devices.
- PPC generates 2x the visitors as compared to SEO.
- PPC returns $2 for every $1 spent, which means the ROI of a PPC campaign is around 200%.
- 65% of SMBs have a PPC campaign as of 2023.
- Mid-sized businesses invest between $9,000 to $10,000 on PPC every month.
- The Google Display Network is the leading PPC provider, with over 2 million sites in its program.
- 65% of all high-intent searches result in an ad click.
- Paid ads and social media account for less than 10% of B2B website traffic, leads, or sales.
Source: Statista, WebFX, Ahrefs, Google Ads.
Websites are a great way to improve your authority in the digital market. We have covered some interesting figures on how a website should be and how it affects user experience online. Have a look below:
- Users form an opinion about a website in just 0.05 seconds.
- 88.5% of people leave the website due to the slow loading of the website.
- Slow-loading websites costs retailers $2.6 billion in sales annually.
- Mobile website users expect a website to load in under three seconds.
- Videos on a website can increase the average time spent on a page by 88%.
- Website visitors spend an average of 6.44 seconds focused on the main navigation menu.
- WordPress is the most popular CMS, housing 42.4% of the internet’s websites.
- Feature and Functionality are the top factors influencing the cost of a website.
- 40% of users won’t engage with a website if its layout is unattractive.
- 50% of internet users say that they consider website design as a factor in formulating their opinion on a business.
From this brief overview, we get to understand that a website’s speed is a key factor. Next on the list is its UI and UX on both desktop and mobile devices. Make sure you optimize your website considering these facts.
We have written a detailed post on website statistics, which you might be interested in. This will give you a clearer idea!
Sources: Forbes, Demandsage, Similarweb, Neil Patel, Semrush.
Social Media Marketing Statistics
Social Media Marketing, or SMM, is a popular branch of Digital Marketing. Social media usage is growing day by day, especially short-form video consumption. Currently, an average social media user spends 2 hours and 31 minutes on social media platforms. In this section, we will discuss Statistics from various social media. This will help you plan your next SMM strategy.
- The social media marketing sector is worth $160 billion and is projected to reach $223 billion by the start of 2023.
- There are over 4.26 billion social media users globally.
- Businesses allocate around 15% of their marketing budget toward social media marketing.
- Over 90% of brands do social media marketing.
- Facebook advertising is the most popular ad program globally.
- Nearly 86% of businesses on Facebook make use of its advertising platform.
- TikTok is the fastest-growing social media.
- Below is the list of Top Social media as of 2023:
|Social Media Platform||Monthly Active Users|
|Tik Tok||1.06 billion|
|FB Messenger||988 million|
|Tencent QQ||574 million|
Sage Reads: Social Media Checklist
Sources: DemandSage, WordStream, Meta, Bytedance, Wikipedia, TikTok, Influencer marketing hub, Bloomberg, The Verge, NY Times.
Did you know? Performance Marketing is an evolving branch of marketing that drives insane results. Check out this list of the best performance marketing agencies we covered to understand more.
Social Media Platform-Specific Statistics
We have gathered statistics from all the top social media so that you can have a better idea about them.
Let’s dive into the top statistics from each social media platform in detail below.
- Facebook is the world’s biggest social media platform, with 3.03 billion monthly active users and 2.06 billion daily active users.
- 61.8% of all social media users access Facebook.
- India has the most Facebook users, with over 416.6 million people using it.
- South Asia is the region with the most Facebook users (456.8+ million users).
- 56.8% of Facebook’s users are males, while 43.2% are females.
- Facebook has an advertisement reach of 2.14 billion.
- 27% of the world’s population sees Facebook ads.
- The average age of Facebook’s ad audience is 31 years.
- People aged 25-34 comprise most of the Facebook audience, with over 705 million users.
- Over 98% of Facebook’s audience log in to the platform via mobile phones.
Source: Meta, DemandSage, Detareportal.
- Instagram has 2.35 billion monthly active users and over 500 million daily active users
- Instagram’s audience consists of 50.7% males and 49.3% females.
- 2 billion people interact with Instagram’s story feature every month.
- Instagram is the 4th most-used social media platform, with 2 billion MAUs.
- It is estimated that around 95 million (9.5%) bot accounts on Instagram.
- India is home to the most Instagram users – 326.6 million.
- An average user spends 30 minutes on Instagram.
- Cristiano Ronaldo is the most followed person on Instagram, with 604 million followers.
- TikTok is the Sixth most popular Social network in the world, with 1.1 billion MAUs.
- 57% of TikTok users are females, and 43% are males.
- It is predicted that TikTok will have 1.5 billion MAUs by the start of 2023.
- 20.83% of global internet users access TikTok
- Over 1 billion videos are viewed on the platform every day.
- TikTok’s ad reach can reach up to 885 million.
Bonus read: Learn the best time to post on TikTok 2023 with our in-depth research and get insights on getting maximum reach.
- Snapchat has 383 Million Daily Active Users as per the latest figures.
- The platform has 100 million daily active users in North America and 92 million in Europe.
- India has the most number of Snapchat users (200 million).
- The major share of Snapchat’s advertising audience belongs to the 18 to 24 age group.
- People exchange over 5 billion snaps on the platform each day.
- Snapchat’s user base consists of 51.8% females and 47.4% males.
- Users open the Snapchat app over 30 times a day.
- Snapchat registered a revenue of 4.6 billion in 2022.
- As of 2023, YouTube has over 2.7 billion monthly active users.
- Youtube is the world’s biggest video-sharing platform and 2nd biggest social media.
- 52% of internet users access YouTube at least once a month globally.
- Over 122 million users visit YouTube each day via its Website and Apps.
- India has the most YouTube users – 467 million.
- 53.9% of YouTube’s audience are males. 46.1% make up the female audience.
- People watch 1 billion hours of videos on YouTube each day.
- Most YouTube users are between the age of 25 to 34.
- YouTube is the 2nd platform of choice for Influencers. Instagram is first.
Meme Marketing Statistics
Memes are the most shared piece of content in current times. The majority of reels and TikToks are comic.
Videos and podcasts take time to record. Memes are the fastest to arrive after a major event. Many companies are capitalizing on this trend and are gaining reach.
Let us take a look at some interesting meme marketing insights in this section!
- At least 60% of social media users access the platform for content that’s funny.
- An average millennial looks up to 30 memes every day.
- 38% of the 55% of Gen-Zers and Millennials who share memes follow meme accounts.
- Memes are the second most shared content on social media after videos.
- The CTR of a meme campaign is 14% higher than email marketing.
- The global meme industry was valued at $2.3 billion in 2020 and is expected to reach $6.1 billion by 2025.
Influencer Marketing Statistics
Influencer marketing is yet another crucial part of Digital Marketing. This set of influencer marketing statistics will help you understand why your business needs to start investing in influencers ASAP!
- The influencer marketing sector is worth $14 billion.
- Influencer marketing has an ROI of 650% as marketers get $6.5 for every $1 invested.
- 72% of Gen Z and Millennials follow influencers on social media.
- Nearly 56% of marketers from the United States and the United Kingdom use Instagram to collaborate with influencers.
- Micro-influencers are more popular than mega-influencers among marketers.
- 49% of consumers depend on influencer recommendations.
- By 2028, the Influencer marketing industry will be worth $85 billion.
Did you know? An Influencer marketing agency in India can help you craft the best marketing campaigns with influencers!
You can also explore our insights on influencer earnings to understand different types of influencers and how to find the right one for your brand.
Infographics in Digital Marketing
In the fast-paced online world, where 81% of readers skim content, visuals are crucial for digital marketing. Things like infographics are especially important because they catch people’s attention, help get messages across effectively, and make a lasting impression.
They are also a way to make users stay on your page for longer, decreasing the bounce rate. Infographics stats show that Infographics are 30 times more likely to be read than a written article. Let us take a quick look on more such interesting stats on infographics in this section.
- Infographics can increase website traffic by up to 12%.
- Posts with images have a 650% higher engagement rate.
- The usage of infographics enhances the drive to read by 80%
- 45% of internet users will click on a link if they see an infographic in it.
- Infographics can be processed 60 times faster than plain text.
- Posts with infographics create 178% additional inbound backlinks.
- 70% of social media users would rather learn about a topic through infographics than text
Artificial Intelligence in Digital Marketing
AI had been around for a long time, but the adoption rates drastically increased after the launch of ChatGPT. Not only for content creation, marketers use AI for various purposes such as image generation, Podcast script writing, and even video editing.
Marketers are also adapting to this shift and are investing in AI tools for marketing.
Take a look at these interesting stats about AI usage in marketing:
- In an insider intelligence survey, 76% of marketers said they use AI for basic content creation and to write copy.
- Gartner forecasts that 30% of outgoing marketing messages from big businesses will be generated by AI by 2025.
- According to Mailchimp, 50% of marketers believe inadequate adoption of AI is holding them back from achieving their goals.
- 19.2% of marketers spend more than 40% of their marketing budget on AI-driven campaigns.
- 91% of Fortune 1000 companies are increasing their investment in artificial intelligence.
- A Statista survey shows that the adoption of generative AI is highest in the marketing and advertising sector (37%). The other two sectors showing increased use of AI are technology (35%) and consulting (30%).
- 60% of marketers implement AI to predict customer behavior and needs.
- 26% of businesses are applying AI techniques such as NLP to marketing and sales
Bonus: Discover the latest trends and statistics shaping the future of personalization in our comprehensive post on Personalization Trends and Stats.
Future of Digital Marketing (2023 & Beyond)
- It is predicted that 69% of the overall advertisement spending will be generated via smartphones. Be sure to optimize your social media campaigns for smartphones!
- One Statistic also reveals that 90% of mobile users are unaware of what they want to purchase, So they look for it online. Make sure you optimize your digital marketing campaigns for the ever-increasing mobile users.
- Over 50% of digital marketers will increase their content marketing budget in 2023, as per the marketing insider group.
- Augmented Reality is the new big thing in the marketing sector. Market Research Future (MRFR) predicts that the worldwide augmented reality market is estimated to reach $461.25 billion by 2030. These predictions were based on the CAGR of the sector, which is 41.50%.
- 61% of shoppers prefer to shop from businesses that have augmented reality offerings.
- Voice search is another thing to look at, Google found out that over 50% of baby boomers use voice assistants as a way to get information on the go.
- Digital marketing trends for 2023:
- Mobile First Approach.
- Augmented Reality.
- Voice Search.
- Use of A.I.
- Influencer Marketing, especially using Micro-influencers.
- VIDEO CONTENT! Can’t stress this enough. Bookmark this article for my predictions; all the social media platforms, including LinkedIn, will be dominated by video content.
Do you know which are the best digital marketing agencies in the United States and India? Well, we have covered the top ones in the major cities of both countries. Here is a heads up — Read our take on the best digital marketing agency in Mumbai.
How Much Do Digital Marketers Make
While talking about the art of digital marketing, let us talk a bit about their earnings as well. These figures are important for both the marketers and the employers who are looking forward to getting a digital marketer to handle their operations.
So, A digital marketing manager makes anywhere between $68k to $85k on average.
The pay scale depends on many factors, like the amount of expertise one has. An entry-level digital marketing manager may expect to earn $42,800 per year on average. Mid-level managers can earn $72,500 per year, while senior-level digital marketing managers may make an average of $82,372 per year.
Other factors include Industry and location of the job — Here, you can read how much a digital marketer earns in India on average.
Did you know? Digital marketing jobs are considered to be the best option for digital nomads.