With 2 billion active users, Instagram has become the hotspot for promoting brands. Currently, at the fourth position as the most popular social media platform, Instagram has a wide variety of audiences across many nations. With such an audience, marketers are willing to spend a lot of money and get their respective brands out there. The advertisement budgets are increasing year by year and marketers are getting better at grabbing the attention of Instagrammers.
Instagram is a great place to get your product in front of more eyes. Statistics show that 500 million people log in to the platform daily. it is a goldmine for a seller.
If you are wondering how you can sell your product on the photo-sharing platform. We have got you covered. We are discussing in a stepwise manner how you can get your selling journey started on Instagram CORRECTLY!
Why correctly in all caps? Because if you follow our steps, you can beat these established money pouring marketers without spending much.
Excited to know how? Let us show you.
Step #1 Choose Your Product
If you have an existing product, make sure it is visually appealing and aesthetic. Because Instagram has built its reputation so. Most people visit the platform to inspire and learn about topics that interest them.
Making your product visually appealing will help gain extra attraction than plain simple counterparts. And who doesn’t love aesthetics? Instagrammers die for it.
If you don’t have a product already, choose a product that satisfies the above needs.
The niche of the product is also an important factor. You won’t sell water purifiers on Instagram even after making them visually appealing. Or maybe you will, but only to a certain limit, Haha.
Let us tell you some of the great niches to dive into while choosing your product.
Digital Product Niches
- Instgaram Lookup Tables (LUTs)
- Lightroom Presets
- Fonts and Typefaces
- Online courses and workshops (Photography, Yoga, fitness)
- NFTs (gallery to redirect customers to NFT platforms)
Physical Product Niches
- Beauty Products
- Home Decors
- Health and Fitness products
- Accessories (keychains, phone cases, jewelry)
Step #2 Set up Instagram Business Account
Converting your regular Instagram account to a business account grants you access to several useful selling and reporting tools. Many newbie marketers make the mistake of selling directly from a regular Instagram account and later on wonder why they aren’t performing well.
As we said, we are teaching you the CORRECT way to sell. And setting up an Instagram account is the correct way to move forward.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Go to your profile and tap in the top right-hand corner.
- Click on “Account.”
- Click on “Switch to a professional account.”
- Click on“Continue.”
- Next, choose a category for your business and click on “Done.”
- Click on “OK” to confirm.
- Click on “Business.”
- Click on “Next.” and then add your Contact Details.
Why choose this shift?
You’ll be able to obtain analytics that will help you understand who’s really connecting with your business if you have a business account. You’ll also get access to the professional console where you can track your progress, use and find professional tools, and read Instagram-curated instructional content.
Some key metrics that you will see are
- profile visits
- website clicks
- Reach & impressions
- Posts & Reels Performance
- Demographics of Visitors
Call To Action button
Located at the top of your profile, the CTA button allows visitors to contact you and obtain directions to your business.
Links in Stories
The ability to include links in your Instagram stories allows you to guide your audience to various pages on your website. This is only possible with a business account. This also helps in creating social signals for your website which will then rank higher in Google search results, win-win situation right? Do it today!
You can seamlessly connect your Facebook brand page and Instagram business account and benefit from Advertising tools available on the platform.
Step #3 Create appealing content around your product
Among the infinite amounts of Instagram posts, how can you grab the attention of potential buyers? The answer is consistent and high-quality content.
Quality content, especially visual media contributes to the unique image of your business. The more your material stands out on a constant basis, the more likely you are to establish a devoted customer base that leads to sales.
Here is your definitive guide to making your business stand out visually on Instagram
- Themes for your profile
This might include everything from a color theme, to a certain typeface or brand tone in your content. There are several tools available such as Canva, Lightroom, Snapseed, etc to assist you with this.
- Post high-quality media
Avoid shaky videos and blurred, grainy images at all costs. People will instantly scroll past your content if you don’t post visually appealing media.
- Implement creative tools
Photo editing software such as Lightroom and Canva, Video editing software like premiere pro, hyper-lapse, and more are great tools to create content. There are various applications to enhance the look of your Instagram stories as well. Browse the app store and find the best fit for you.
- Host regular polls and contests
Host interesting quizzes and polls for your audience. For example, you can host a contest around a trending topic and ask users to tag you in their posts. The best entry will win some prizes. This is a terrific approach to promoting interaction.
- Captions and #Hashtags
You should back your creative content with enticing Captions. Talking about captions, hashtags form a part of it. There are various free hashtag generators available online. Make use of them and watch your post do the numbers.
Step #4 Editing your profile bio
The first thing people will notice on your business profile is its logo and bio.
You need to make sure that you have a welcoming and product-centered bio on your profile.
One must-have thing in your bio is the link to your website. As you cannot post links in Instagram caption, you can make a call for action by saying “Visit our store for more, link in bio.”
Or simple “Link for the product in bio.”
Tip: Use Bitly or shorturl to shorten your website’s URL if it’s too long. Long URLs look shabby on your profile.
Step #5 Using the stories and reels feature to maximize sales
Instagram 2022 Statistics show that half a billion people interact with the stories and reels feature daily. We already mentioned how you can host contests and poles on stories but there is, even more, you can do. Let us tell you what.
Below are the things you can do with your stories
- Create visually appealing stories with tools like canvas. Here is a link to one of their tutorials. There are many from where it came. Surf the web, explore the new application,s and make your story stand out.
- Post BTS. No, we are not talking about the K-pop sensations here. Post Behind the Scenes of your product on your stories. This will help maintain transparency among the users and create more trust in you.
- Post Video Stories. Reels, yes. This short video feature is amazing to promote your product. Consumer polls have also shown that customers are more inclined toward a product if they see them on a reel.
Adding Links to your stories
You can add links to your stories with just a few simple steps. Let us first look at how you can do it and then we will talk about its benefits.
- Capture/upload media to your story
- You will find the sticker tool in navigation bar at the top
- Select the “Link” sticker
- Add your desired link and click on “Done”
- Place the sticker on your story and you’re done!
The benefit of adding links to stories
- Whenever a user views your story and decides to view more about the product, they need not visit your profile to go to the product page. They simply have to swipe up or click on the link. This ease of use makes more users to view your product.
Step #6 Instagram Live as a product promoter
Consider Instagram Live to be similar to webinars. Utilize the function to demonstrate an idea to your audience and then turn it into a sale for your product.
Live is Instagram’s fastest-growing feature, with a 70% rise in views.
When you start a live video, Instagram sends alerts to your followers letting them know that you’re live. It also provides a sense of FOMO because live videos typically vanish once you stop filming.
Step #7 Sell in DMs
DMs are the next stage in selling on Instagram after you’ve attracted your followers via regular posting.
The ability to send multiple links in a DM is a huge plus.
Although remember one thing, never begin a chat with the intention of selling. Add value to the customer and strengthen your connection first. If you spam links in a DM, one thing is for sure, you’re most likely to lose that customer for life.
Strategies to Sell in DMs
- Curate messages in a warm and positive tone and send them to your users on festive occasions. This should start a new conversion thread.
- You can also create a monthly newsletter and send them to your customers.
- Organize polls on your stories and DM the people who vote.
Step #8 Instagram Advertising
Many marketers believe that having a limited budget disqualifies them from running Instagram advertisements. If you are one of them, drop that thought right there. It’s always great to have an ample budget, but that doesn’t mean you cannot generate leads on a smaller budget.
If you implement it well, executing low-budget Instagram advertising will offer you more bang for your buck than building and running organic campaigns.
We recommend using Ads is because the potential to reach your customers is amplified with Instagram targeted ads and you get a high amount of ROI that exceeds your spending.
Tips to run Ads
You should have a precise goal for your campaign.
Will it be about raising brand recognition? Or is it aimed at reaching out to as many individuals as possible? Will you direct Instagram users to a website to buy your product? Select an aim that will assist you in achieving your goal and proceed accordingly.
Additional Benefits of Ads
Other than the reach you get, here are some additional features of Instagram Ads.
- Ability to post a 2-minute long video in landscape or square format.
- Ability to post up to 10 photos or videos that users can swipe through in a single ad.
- Allows your consumers to explore and discover a library of images and videos of your items.
- Every day, 200 million people visit Instagram’s Explore section; you get to take your boosted post to this section for wide exposure.
How to Start an Ad campaign
Do not just hit the “promote” button under your post. Take time to set up ad manager and run your campaign if you want to get the most out of your spending.
With ad manager, you get access to Facebook’s extensive targeting capabilities and the Reach/Brand Awareness strategy.
Here’s how you can set up an ad campaign on ad manager
First, add your Instagram profile to Facebook’s Business Manager.
- Visit Business Manager
- Click on “Accounts.”
- Click on ”Instagram accounts.”
- Click on “+ Add.”
- Enter your Instagram username and password. Click on “Next.”
- Select the ad accounts and Pages that you’d like to assign and click on “Next”.
Once done, it’s time to set up a campaign. Here how
- Visit Ads Manager.
- Select Create.
- Select an “Ad Objective”
- Click on “Continue.”
- Fill in the details for your ad set.
- Select either “Manual Placement” or “Automatic placement” whatever fits your requirements.
- Click on “Continue”
Woohoo! You’ve now chosen Instagram as an advt. Placement.
Finish your ad by including information about its identification, layout, and relevant links. After you’ve entered these facts, you’ll be able to preview your ad before submitting it for approval. Your ad will display on Instagram after it has been authorized.
Step #9 Use Instagram Shopping
Add product tags to your posts on your feed and stories to encourage users to buy your stuff. When users tap on the product, they can see the name of the product as well as the pricing.
Below every post that has product tags, users will see a shopping bag icon. This way they will know that if they tap on the product, thy can see the prices of the things shown in the image or video.
When users click on the tags that appear, they are redirected to a page with the product’s description and a call to action. They can proceed to the landing page of your website after that.
Steps to Setup Instagram Shopping
- Click on “Settings” and then “Creator”, from here you click “Set up Instagram Shopping”
- create a shop in Facebook Commerce Manager or another compatible platform. We recommend using Shopify. It is one of the leading eCommerce platforms.
- First, decide how your consumers will finish their purchases by selecting a checkout option.
- Next, decide whether you want to sell your products on Instagram, Facebook, or both.
- Connect your existing product catalog (refer to Step1) or create a new one to add goods to your business.
- Review your options, and catalog details, and submit your shop for review.
Tips for getting more from the feature
- Create a post informing your audience that they may now purchase your products directly from the app via the shopping feature.
- Try to tag more than one product in a post. At the same time remember not to include too many products in a single post.
- Play with different posting formats
- Ensure that each tag is in contact with the relevant product. This helps customers understand exactly what product is being referred to by the tag.
Benefits of Instagram Shopping
- Users can fill out the payment information without leaving Instagram.
- Users can keep track of their purchases and receive order progress updates right from the app.
- Your product appears in the Shopping section of Instagram. The shopping section is accessible right on the lower tab of the app. This is even better than the “explore” tab as people are opening the shopping section with the intent to shop.
- Demographic and Behavioural Insights.
Step #10 Implement Influencer Marketing
People tend to trust their favorite influencer more than the traditional forms of advertising. This is why Influencer is a key to sell products on Instagram. It is probably the Influencer capital of the world.
established Instagram influencers have a natural understanding of how to use the fan following to build and maintain a dedicated following. There are millions of these influencers of popularity on the app, and you can utilize them to put your product in the spotlight for a very affordable price. Most influencers charge as per their followers count.
Below we have listed the type of influencers and which businesses should utilize them
- Nano influencers
- Follower count: 1K–10K
- Ideal for Business: If you own a small to medium-sized company with a restricted marketing budget.
- Micro influencers
- Follower count: 10K–100K
- Ideal for Business: When you’ve move passed with nano influencing and are ready to begin producing more targeted leads.
- Macro Influencers
- Follower Count: 100k – 1 million
- Ideal for: Brands who want to boost their own engagement rates and reach. This is ideal for businesses with high marketing budget.
- Mega Influencers
- Followers Count: over 1 million
- Ideal for Businesses: Firmly established brands with very high marketing budget and wish to go multinational.
As this post is about Strating to sell on Instagram. We recommend you to initiate your marketing campaign with Nano influencers and if you see results, shift to Micro. Use multiple nano influencers at first. They have a good personal bond with their followers and are great way to test product launches.
Many marketers prefer Micro-influencers. It is estimated that over 50% of marketers in UK prefer Micro-Influencers.
Niche – Make sure you choose an influencer whose usual content is relevant to your product.
Benefits of Influencer Marketing
- Your product is shown to users who are already engaged in your industry.
- It increases consumer trust, brand credibility and industry reputation which is very important In order to meet sales targets.
- Cheaper than traditional advertising
- Unlike traditional advertising, you won’t face losses due to ad blocks.
Conclusion: How to Sell On Instagram (2022)
Instagram is a great platform to sell your product. The increasing active user count is not slowing down anytime soon. If you are not utilizing the photosharing platform to promote your business, you’re missing out on many things.
Get your business on Instagram today with our definitive guide.
We hope we were able to solve all your queries with this one. If you need to ask anything else. Comment below let’s chat!