With the advent of various digital platforms, starting a business has become very easy. But with this development comes the problem of abundance.
The choice of platform is a crucial decision that directly affects the sale and marketing of the product. This decision depends on the development and the marketing it requires.
We are here to solve the problem for you.
After trying the various platforms available and analyzing them from the viewpoint of usage, features, reliability, security, advantages, and disadvantages, we have handpicked nine platforms from which you can choose the one which fits your needs the best.
Without further ado, let’s dive into the list!
Top 11 Platforms To Sell Digital Products – In A Nutshell (2023)
To give you a quick overview of all the platforms, here is a quick glance.
- Sellfy is best for beginners who are just entering the digital market.
- Podia is one of the best eCommerce platforms to sell online courses.
- Big Commerce is best for creating a fully functional e-commerce website.
- Sendowl is best for creating memberships and content limitations.
- Payhip is best for Connecting business to social media and making sales.
- Gumroad is best for Selling directly to customers all digital products.
- Thinkfic is best for educational digital products.
- Shopify is best for selling tangible as well as intangible goods.
- Easy Digital Download is best for beginners and WordPress plugins.
- Squarespace is best for selling physical and digital products together.
- Teachable is best for selling online courses, memberships, and other digital products.
Now you know which platforms we are going to review, let us take a closer look and understand what each offers!
|Ease of Use||4.5/5|
|Price||$22 (Starter), $59 (Business), $119 (Premium) per month.|
|Best for||Beginners and Professionals.|
Sellfy is perfect for beginners or anyone who wants a simple yet powerful platform to sell digital products; that’s why it has topped our list. Being extremely user-friendly, one can build an online store in a few minutes. Further, it comes with built-in marketing tools that track your store’s performance and incentivize users to spend more.
Whether customized print products or digital downloads, Sellfy has your back. Sellfy provides the following categories of products that can be used to manage inventory:
- digital downloads/ streams
- Digital subscriptions
- physical product
- print on demand products
Sellfy comes with many crucial e-commerce features and tools which helps a small business owner without any coding skills to not only create an online brand presence but also improve their sales.
- Let’s you create an online store and customize it according to your branding.
- Offer videos on demand.
- Various payment options like PayPal and Stripe are available
- Analytics data which helps you keep track of the traffic your site is generating
- A separate Customers category that gives the list of all your subscription and standalone purchases.
- The orders section has multiple features which make it easy to shift through all your transactions.
- You can also customize the sales, coupons, and discounts.
- For additional features like product upselling, product migration, priority support, etc., users will have to upgrade to a Business or Premium plan, which can be expensive.
- As there are only six integrations to choose from, it may not be enough for professional users.
|Ease of Use||4/5|
|Price||$33 (Mover), $75 (Shaker), $166 (earthquake) per month.|
|Best for||Selling online courses.|
Podia is a platform designed specifically for selling digital goods online. From selling online courses to digital downloads to selling coaching sessions and webinars, Podia helps you launch a website and creates a community.
Podia brings you all the features you would require to sell your product, including your email marketing and messaging tools, as well as your service for building an online storefront.
- Customize your storefront and sales pages
- Online courses
- Digital downloads
- Email marketing and drip campaigns
- Live chat
- Unlimited courses, course products, and webinars.
- Priority support and onboarding calls.
- Podia can be used for free, but an 8% transaction fee is charged.
- Many features are only available in the advanced packages, which are expensive.
- It does not have a mobile app.
3. Big Commerce
|Ease of Use||4/5|
|Price||$29.95 (Standard), $79.95 (Plus), $299.95 (Pro) per month.|
|Best for||Creating a fully functional e-commerce website.|
BigCommerce is the best e-commerce platform that can be used to sell digital as well as physical products. The platform can be leveraged to reach new customers across channels with built-in features.
The platform helps you manage your business with ease. With more out-of-the-box features, the platform has taken the complexity of setting up and managing your store, helping your business save time and money as you grow.
BigCommerce has customized templates and mobile responsive designs so that you can boost your sales right from your mobile!
- Highly customizable website builder
- 24/7 worldwide customer support
- Get eCommerce help from a certified expert
- Integration features are available through which third-party apps can be used.
- Secure SSL built-in
- Strong SEO performance
- Plenty of tools to build your website’s performance
- You will have to upgrade to the premium feature to avail all eCommerce features.
|Ease of Use||4/5|
|Price||$19 per month.|
|Best for||memberships and content limitations.|
SendOwl is all about virtual content. If you are a beginner just getting started, this platform will help you reach your goals without a problem.
Digital products, including e-books, podcasts, online courses, memberships, coaching services, live remote events, and more, may be sold by creators and companies using SendOwl.
SendOwl’s payment links, connections with Stripe and Shopify, or the use of SendOwl’s API allow users to do this on their current website or blog.
You can sell your digital goods to clients anywhere with SendOwl through email signatures and social media posts. There are numerous payment options and a variety of languages available.
SendOwl is a preferred choice for memberships and content limitations because of has outstanding file control capabilities.
- API allows an extensive marketplace for add-ons and extensions
- Multiple payment options.
- Analysis section with Discount code reports, upsell analytics, order reports, etc.
- Intuitive and beginner-friendly user interface.
- The platform may not be for you if you are an established professional and need to sell high-subscription products.
- The platform does not have an all-in-one market tool with a more sophisticated CRM.
|Ease of Use||4/5|
|Price||$29 (Plus), $99 (Pro) per month.|
|Best for||Connecting business to social media|
Payhip, like the name sounds, is a hip platform that connects your social media to your business.
You can list your products on your website or social media pages and integrate Payhip so that customers can shop there, check out, and process their money without leaving the page.
As an alternative, Payhip enables you to set up a landing page or storefront where customers may browse your merchandise and make purchases. You can market memberships, subscriptions, and digital goods, including software, music, e-books, films, photos, design resources, and more.
- To prevent piracy, the option of PDF stamping on buyer purchases is available.
- Sync your customers to your mailing lists
- As security, license keys for software can be provided.
- Discount coupons can be added
- Free trials for services can be set up.
- Lacks various features compared to other platforms for selling.
|Ease of Use||4/5|
|Price||Free but with transaction fees.|
|Best for||Selling directly to customers.|
With Gumroad, you may promote your goods, increase website traffic, and start a successful company from scratch.
The simple and quick onboarding procedure at Gumroad is why artists who want to begin their eCommerce adventure choose it. You may create a free account in a few minutes and reach out to potential customers to advertise your real or digital goods.
Gumroad has a sleek, contemporary style that is simple for business users. However, beginners who have never used an online selling platform could find it more difficult to get the hang of things.
- Easy subscriptions and payment options.
- Marketing tools
- Discount and coupon creation
- Options to generate license keys for selling software
- Customizable checkout pages
- Super-easy user interface
- The customization is not as extensive as a professional would require.
|Ease of Use||4.5/5|
|Price||$39 (Basic), $79(Pro), and $399 (Premium) per month.|
|Best for||Education content|
Thinkific is an e-commerce site that places a lot of emphasis on the advantages of online education for generating income. With Thinkific, you can build a robust online education empire using your branding and learn the benefits of imparting your knowledge.
Though it is not the cheapest platform for selling online courses available today, Thinkific is one of the complete options available.
Thinkific might be precisely what you need if you want access to a fully customizable learning environment that will help you sell more of your courses while also allowing you to promote them.
The drag-and-drop editor that enables you to modify every element of your course, from the quizzes you use to instruct consumers to the text style, particularly pleased us. Even your own Google Docs can be added to
- Assignments for individual students
- White labeling for complete branding
- customizable pages
- You have the option of using your own domain name
- Video, quiz, survey, etc. formats for lessons.
- To create your email list, you’ll need to incorporate a third-party email service.
- To automate VAT payments, you must interface with a third-party service. An alternative would be incorporating Zapier with a specific shopping cart like ThriveCart.
|Ease of Use||4/5|
|Price||$29 (Basic), $79(Shopify), and $299 (Advanced) per month.|
|Best for||Intangible as well as tangible goods.|
The primary use of Shopify is as a complete eCommerce platform. Shopify, arguably among the most well-liked e-commerce platforms in the world, lets you sell any item you want. The company hosts more than a million enterprises from around the world.
With Shopify, you have a wide range of styles to choose from and a wealth of marketing tools at your disposal to tailor your sales experience to your brand’s demands. You can also benefit from a free trial to learn more about the service before you use it. Shopify facilitates the global sale of tangible goods while assisting online vendors with its powerful features. You can use our exclusive Shopify Discount code to save a few bucks.
- Mobile commerce support
- Access to several advanced plugins and extensions
- Subscription and membership creation
- Digital download delivery
- Abandoned cart recovery
- Marketing features and email access
- Limited customization option.
- The platform is a bit expensive.
- Shopify charges a transaction fee for each sale that you make.
- Shopify does not include email hosting in its plans.
9. Easy Digital Downloads
|Ease of Use||4/5|
|Price||$499(All-access pass) $299 (Professional pass) $199(Extended Pass) $99 (Personal Pass)|
|Best for||WordPress plugin|
Easy Digital Downloads make it simple to sell digital goods. It works well as a WooCommerce substitute. As the name implies, Easy Digital Downloads is made exclusively to market digital goods.
You can sell a variety of digital goods using Easy Digital Downloads. You can market and sell software, memberships, and subscriptions in addition to an eBook you wrote. A marketplace for digital vendors can be established using Easy Digital Downloads.
Easy Digital Downloads is a simple-to-use WordPress plugin for content producers, coaches, and bloggers. The plugin is made specifically to sell digital things and does so quite well.
- supports Stripe and PayPal, for free
- customize action button text
- allows potential customer cart saving
- supports registered user or guest checkout
- requires the agreement of terms before purchase
- It can be costly for beginners.
- Needs too many plugins.
|Ease Of Use||4.2/5|
|Price||$23 (Personal), $33 (Business), $36 (Basic eCommerce), and $65 (Advanced eCommerce) per month.|
|Best For||Selling physical and digital goods together|
Squarespace is one of the best website builders to help you create attractive online stores to sell digital and physical products together. Its drag & drop feature allows you to create your dream website without any coding knowledge.
Squarespace templates & designs do most of the work for you, and they are fully responsive on mobile and desktop devices. The process of creating an online store on Squarespace is pretty simple. You just pick a template for your website and make the changes in it to transform it into your brand.
You can find templates for different niches here. You can find templates for blogs, memberships, portfolios, scheduling, one page, and also online stores. If you already have a website, then Squarespace is the best option for you. You can also sell services on your online store with Squarespace. We also have an exclusive Squarespace promo code to help you save a few bucks on your purchase.
- Create amazing websites with no coding knowledge
- Plenty of template options are available
- Integrate third-party apps to widen your reach
- Marketing features to help you promote your business
- Built-in Tax compliance tool
- The eCommerce features of Squarespace aren’t as good as other eCommerce platforms in this list.
- There is no phone support available.
|Ease Of Use||4.1/5|
|Price||$59 (Basic), $159 (Pro), and $665 (Business) per month|
|Best For||Selling online courses, memberships, and digital products|
If you want to create and sell online courses, then the best platform for you would be Teachable. It is one of the best and easiest platforms to use. Many instructors and creators are already using Teachable to sell their online courses and spread their knowledge through them.
The best thing about this platform is that you can use Teachable to create your course for free. Its free account lasts forever, but the only issue is that you can only create one course in the free plan, and you will also have to pay transaction fees to Teachable whenever someone purchases your course.
It also offers a lot of learning resources to help you create the first course on Teachable. With their subscription plans, you can create unlimited courses and enroll as many students as possible. It also gives you a lot of website customization options. We also have an exclusive Teachable coupon code that can help you save a few bucks on your purchase.
- Option to connect your Teachable website to a custom domain
- Create course completion certificates & quizzes
- Segment your students’ list
- In-built affiliate program
- Create sales pages with customizable templates
- Use marketing integrations to market your courses
- Focuses only on selling online courses, not all digital products
- Charges transaction fees even in the subscription plan
Final Verdict: Best Platforms To Sell Digital Products (2023)
Starting your online business is one of the most exciting feelings! When you want to sell digital products, you must be careful about your chosen platform when you want to sell digital products.
All the platforms mentioned in our list will help you sell your products without hassle. However, note that each platform supports different types of products. So, make sure you spend some time getting to know the platform.
Nevertheless, if you want our recommendation, we suggest going with Shopify, as it serves as an all-in-one platform. When your digital products start booming, you can shift to physical products through Shopify itself.
With that, we hope our list helped you understand different options for the best platforms to sell digital products. Over to you. Which platform are you going to explore? Let us know in the comments section below!