Our statistics revealed there are 2.4 million podcasts globally as of 2024. With that massive number, it can become a challenge to market your podcast the right way.
Considering the high competition, it is vital to have a strong podcast marketing strategy to give your podcast a breakthrough amongst other podcasts on the internet.
In this article, we will walk you through all the best methods of podcast marketing. The guide will also contain our insider tips and suggestions that will help you kickstart your podcasting and ensure you get maximum exposure online!
After all your efforts in your podcast, your podcasts deserve the recognition you deserve!
With that, let’s get into the details!
What Is Podcast Marketing?
Before we explain how to market your podcasts, you should know what Podcast marketing is actually. Podcast marketing is a technique where you create strategies and use different tactics for marketing your podcast and reaching your audience. A newbie podcaster always asks the question: how can they grow their podcast? The first thing every podcaster knows is that growing a podcast requires consistency, effort, and time.
You can’t expect your podcast to blow up on the internet overnight. Sometimes podcasters start with proper motivation and release their podcasts regularly, but if they don’t see results, their motivation starts to fade away so does the quality of their content. By creating the best content for your audience, you should also create strategies to market your podcast properly. If you don’t use podcast marketing, then there is a chance you may never gain a single listener to your podcast.
Marketing Podcasts The Right Way: Practical Tips!
It is crucial to market your podcast right away to achieve the desired results. You can also check out our definitive podcast guide to understand how to start a podcast immediately.
Knowing the basics is the first step to successful podcasting. Once you know the ins and outs, follow the tips mentioned below!
1. Build Your Audience
Before indulging in fully-fledged podcast marketing, it is crucial to have an audience. Now, when we talk about audience, we don’t necessarily mean having an audience dedicated to podcasts themselves.
There are various reasons why you should focus on building your audience before getting started with podcast marketing. This is because once a loyal audience follows you, you can lure them in and engage with them through podcasts.
You can divert them to your podcasts, whether your audience is on social media or a website. This way, you can ensure your audience gets maximum engagement from your end while you get to make your podcast visible to your existing audience.
Focusing on building your audience is essential for both -individuals starting their podcasts and brands. As a brand, you can focus on platforms where your audience is most active. For instance, if you are into fashion, beauty, and healthcare, you will find most of your audience on social media platforms. You can focus on publishing content on these platforms simultaneously.
On the other hand, if you are an individual, focus on building your personal brand so people recognize your skills and who you are. Platforms like LinkedIn are one of the best for building a community.
Once you have a good audience, you can introduce them to your podcast.
2. Create Engaging Podcasts to Attract Audiences
Another crucial tip before you spend your time and money on marketing your podcast is to create engaging podcasts.
Let’s admit it. No one likes to listen to broadcasting or long audios. Similarly, if you deliver a podcast that seems like a monologue, your audience will likely be bored and discontinue listening.
One effective strategy that lures the audience into your podcasts is when they feel involved in your content. Keeping your podcasts conversational will allow your audience to keep listening and explore what is next in your podcasts.
Many newbies start with amazing content for podcasts. You may have a good story to tell the world, but the power of delivering your words plays a vital role here. You don’t want your audience to feel like you are reading a script. Therefore, make sure to exchange opinions and keep it conversational.
3. Create Small Promotional Clips
There are thousands of podcasts online, and making people find your podcast can be challenging.
With hundreds of thousands of podcasts running every day, how would people find your podcast, or what will make your podcast stand out from the rest of the podcasts available online? This is where promotional clips come in handy to showcase your uniqueness to the world.
Many people opt for only-audio podcasts, whereas some people prefer video podcasts. If you are going for the only-audio podcast, you can ask influencers or other people to use your audio. Additionally, small power-point slides or making an attractive short video to accompany your promotional clip will come in handy.
Once you create your promotional clip, include additional details while sharing it. You can include details of where your podcasts can be heard, links and descriptions to your podcasts, etc. Similarly, before you launch your first episode, you can share a small snippet from your podcast to create hype.
Share all across the internet so people can keep an eye on your podcast!
If you look at Jay Shetty’s podcast, he has some well-known celebrities as guests. Besides inviting A-list celebrities like Kendall Jenner, Trevor Noah, Jim Kwik, John Legend, and more, he shares small clips of these podcasts on his social media channels that go viral.
He shares a glimpse of his podcast with his guests as small promotional clips along with a link to his latest podcast. Most of these small clips go viral, helping him gain an additional audience and scale up his podcast.
4. Run Ads For Your Podcast!
When we talk about an advertisement, it doesn’t mean you necessarily have to spend thousands of dollars on advertising your podcast on someone else’s. Advertisement for your podcasts goes beyond just podcasts.
Wait. We don’t mean to confuse you. To break it simply, there are various marketing methods that you can follow to advertise your podcast. When you advertise it, you increase the chances of gaining new listeners.
Here are a few options that will help you in advertising your podcast.
- Run ads on social media platforms: Social media is one of the best ways to attract your audience. You can run social media advertisements. Find which platform your target audience uses the most and run ads. You can run paid promotions so your podcasts catch the eye of millions worldwide.
- Radio Ads: Despite being one of the oldest listening methods, radios remain highly popular. People tend to listen to the radio at least once in their day. Therefore, spending money on radio ads won’t hurt as radio listeners are likely interested in indulging in podcasts, considering similar listening habits.
- Baner ads: Another traditional marketing method that will work is banner ads. You can create an eye-catching banner, include animation or videos and display it on your website. You can also opt for billboard advertisements. This way, people can be educated about your podcasts through your website and banners across multiple locations.
- Streaming Ads: Audio streaming platforms are one of the best ways to advertise your podcasts. Since you will be hosting your podcasts with one of the streaming platforms, there is no better way to reach your audience directly on the same platform. Popular platforms like Apple, Spotify, iHeartRadio, and more offer advertisements. Your podcast will be displayed as a pop-up or banner when people open the specific application/streaming service.
Advertising your podcasts can sometimes be expensive, depending on how you opt for them. Some methods can be as simple as creating a banner and placing it on your website. At the same time, others include spending thousands on advertisements on streaming services.
Either way, you can choose the right method depending on your preference. However, if you are just getting started and are on a tight budget, you can start with a simple banner and campaign on social media. As your podcast grows with time, you can expand your advertising methods.
5. Use Social Media To Market Your Podcasts
If you are wondering which is the best way to market your podcast, social media is a way to go!
According to our latest statistics on social media users, there are approximately 4.9 billion active social media users worldwide!
The number sounds crazy, but at the same time, social media allows you to reach billions of people across the globe. When you market your podcasts via social media, you get a chance to present your work in front of billions, and there is a high chance of finding the right audience.
First and foremost, begin by creating a dedicated page for your podcast channel. Remember, a separate page for your podcast is better than marketing on your personal page. Once you have a dedicated page ready for your podcast, here are bonus tips you can follow for your social media handles.
- Create a unique profile with attractive profile pictures/headers. You can use your official logo (if you have one).
- Optimize your bio with relevant keywords. Add the link to your podcast in your bio and keep it minimal yet attractive for your readers.
- Be consistent and active on your social media profiles. You can find a significant amount of audience from your social media pages. Therefore, it is vital to keep it engaging.
- Post your promotional clips and teasers.
- Utilize the power of Instagram Reels and TikTok videos. TikTok videos and Instagram Reels have a massive reach and are one of the easiest ways to reach your targeted audience.
- When using Instagram Reels and TikTok videos for your promotional clips and teasers, ensure to keep them short yet attractive. You can give a small teaser with the release date at the end of your video. Additionally, you can use the trending audio as a background since they have a better chance of going viral and appearing on other people’s feeds.
- Engage with your audience. You can increase engagement by replying to their comments timely on your post, reverting to your messages, etc.
- Another crucial tip to increase engagement is by conducting polls and surveys. Using Instagram, Facebook, and Snapchat, you can run a poll, Q&A, Ask me Anything, and more on your stories. Doing these will help you understand what your audience is demanding. At the same time, it will help in keeping the users engaged and remind them about your podcasts. You can also use Twitter and LinkedIn polls for engagement.
- Ask freelancers and influencers to promote your posts on different social media handles. This helps in better reach as you can gain an audience from other freelancers and influencers for your podcast.
6. Invite Guest Speakers On Your Podcasts
If you are a podcast listener, you may be aware of the concept of bringing guests. Having a guest on your podcast is another excellent way to gain an audience and keep your listeners engaged. Successful podcasts usually involve bringing guests your audience demands or may be interested in listening to.
Let’s take an example. If your podcast is about financing, you can invite a financial expert with great influence to discuss finance. Similarly, if your podcast is about entertainment, you can bring a celebrity or influencer to your podcast. This not only helps you get better engagement but also brings the guests’ audience to your podcast.
Over the years, podcasts have been growing with the choice of their guests. Celebrities and influencers are in high demand, and their audience would love to listen to your podcast with enthusiasm. Besides that particular podcast, there are higher chances of the audience checking your other podcasts, thus, gaining more audience.
One of the challenges you might face when inviting guests to your podcast when you are just starting over is reaching out to them. However, on a good note, you don’t always have to pay your guest to appear on your podcast. Many collaborations happen due to the exposure the guest will get on your podcast and vice versa.
You can start with small collaborations in the beginning and eventually scale up and contact the management of bigger influencers, experts, or celebrities in your niche.
DemandSage Bonus: For precise editing, you can use these top headphones for podcasting.
7. Utilize YouTube to Grab Listeners!
According to our latest research on YouTube, it is estimated that YouTube will have an audience of 2.6 billion users. With this massive audience, the platform has become a go-to solution for anyone who wants to consume video content.
52% of internet users access YouTube at least once a month, making it one of the biggest platforms to promote your content. Ensure to use videos with your podcast. Once you have a video podcast, you can publish your podcast on your YouTube channel.
Within the description, you can add links to your Podcast’s website, social media channels, and podcast itself. This will help bring additional listeners and grant better exposure to your podcasts. You can also publish small clips of your podcasts on YouTube shorts, such as teasers, behind the scene, snaps from your old podcasts, and more.
8. Email Marketing For Podcast
Our recent research on email marketing estimated 4.25 billion e-mail users globally. Emails are another great way to reach your targeted audience and market your podcast to people. 82% of marketers implement email marketing as a part of their marketing campaign, and when it comes to a podcast, you should not hold it back, either.
Before you begin with email marketing, you need an email list. Without your audience’s emails, it is impossible to kickstart your email marketing. You will need a website to create a lead magnet where visitors can fill the pop-up with their emails.
Once you have the list, you can use the list to send emails to your audience. You can use emails to communicate with your audience and keep them in the loop of what’s happening with your podcast.
Here are a few email suggestions that you can try with your email marketing campaign for your podcast:
- Welcome: As soon as your user subscribes to your email list, your first move should be sending them a welcoming email. The email can contain eye-catching graphics, a warm, welcoming message, and what your audience should expect from you ahead.
- Newsletters: Depending on your niche, you can roll out weekly or monthly newsletters to your audience. Your newsletters can contain insightful information on your niche. Inside, you can link your podcast or promote your upcoming podcast, which will help them learn more about the topic.
- Be transparent and send regular updates: Your audience would expect transparency with your podcast if they were your dedicated audience. Whatever happens with your podcast, minor or major, you can inform your audience through emails. This will also help your audience a sense of relief and build trust.
- Use graphics and videos in your emails: 47% of business organizations use videos in their email marketing campaign to attract an audience. Using videos and graphics inside your audience will attract your readers more and make them keen to keep reading. A boring email with no graphics or videos is likely to be left unread, or your audience won’t be interested to read it until the end.
- Send reminders: Before a week of your new podcast release, ensure to roll out a reminder email with what your next episode will be about and what they should expect in the new episode. The more you create hype about your podcast, the more they will be excited to hear it.
You don’t have to hire someone separately or spend hours creating emails and sending them individually. You can use various email automation tools in the market that will save you time and energy. Many of these tools come with built-in templates allowing you to create emails with the best designs.
9. Create A Website For Your Podcast
You may not be aware, but creating a website dedicated to your podcast is one of the most important strategies for your podcast marketing. Since you will be running ads on social media profiles and other platforms, your audience needs a landing page.
Where will your audience be redirected to without a landing page after they click on your podcast ad?
This is where your website will help. Your website will also have your blogs and help generate email subscribers. For instance, you can create a pop-up on your website where users can sign up for your email list, helping you build your email subscribers.
Your website should include all the basic details about you and your podcast. Generally, your website must include a homepage, blog section, and an about us page. You might also want to create a landing page if you sell products on your website.
If you don’t have a website, we have got you covered! Gone are the days when you had to code to create a website manually. With the help of hundreds of website builders, you can create your podcast website in no time.
Additional tips for your website:
- Keep the design eye-catching. Your design will play a vital role in attracting your audience. If your website is dull, your users will have a bad experience.
- Do not make clutter for elements on your site. The more cluttered your site is, the more it will make the user experience difficult.
- Ensure you choose the best host for your site. A host that offers excellent speed and security will help you in the long run.
- Update your website regularly to keep it bug-free.
10. Host Frequent Giveaways
Giveaways are another excellent ways to grow your audience and have great engagement. Additionally, giveaways are a fantastic method to express your gratitude to your audience for their support and love for your listeners.
When we talk about giveaways, it does not necessarily have to be big. You can start with small giveaways and set your rules. This way, your audience will share your giveaway post across their social media, grabbing other people’s attention.
Furthermore, many giveaways go viral on the internet if they are attractive enough for your audience. You can host your giveaway and promote it across various channels so that more people participate and engage in it.
11. Add Transcriptions
Transcriptions refer to captions and subtitles for your podcast. For example, whatever you speak on your podcast, will also appear as text below. Transcriptions come in handy for people with hearing difficulties. They can understand your podcast with texts within.
Besides, transcriptions also help significantly in search engine optimization. Search engines like Google can’t recognize audio and show up your podcast on the top results. However, when you add transcriptions, Google quickly recognizes texts and can assist in ranking. You can use transcriptions on your YouTube video and website.
Various transcription software is available in the market to automate the transcription of your podcast instead of spending time doing it manually.
12. Be Consistent With Your Marketing
The last but most crucial tip is to be consistent with your marketing. Podcast marketing shows significant results when you maintain consistency, just like how it goes for any other form of marketing!
Continue to create amazing content and show up regularly.
Wrapping Up On Podcast Marketing!
That was all about podcast marketing methods you should implement to boost your podcasts and ensure it reaches the maximum number of people!
Remember, you won’t achieve success with podcast marketing overnight. It combines consistent marketing and efforts, eventually giving you better exposure!
So, implement the tips mentioned above for a successful podcasting journey.
Each podcast is different from than others. The best way to market your podcast is by merging different marketing methods and working consistently with your marketing and podcast. You can use the tips mentioned above to market your podcast successfully.
Various methods can help in monetizing your podcast. Some of these include advertising, giving premium content, selling paid memberships, donations, and more.
Many marketing methods need zero to little investment. You can use social media and email marketing, as it does not need investment. All you need to do is create your social media handles and start posting consistently!