Want to know what is the hidden cost of website hosting? If that’s the case, then you’re at the right place to get the answer to this question.
Hidden costs are pain whenever you purchase anything for yourself. Many web hosting services claim that there are no hidden charges for their website hosting. It is a white lie because there are hidden charges of website hosting as well.
If you want to be aware of these hidden charges beforehand, then read this entire post on the hidden cost of website hosting. We will also explain how you can avoid these hidden costs later on.
Let’s get started right away.
Types Of Web Hosting & Their Usual Prices
There are many types of web hosting available on the internet, and they all have different pricing. Here we have explained all the web hosting types and their average prices.
- Shared Hosting: Shared Hosting is a hosting where multiple people share one server and also share the cost of it. So it can usually cost from $3 to $15 per month. You can also get lower prices if you get any promotional offer from any hosting provider.
- Cloud Hosting: Cloud Hosting is a hosting where you get access to various virtual networks and share those resources with other people. Since there are many servers, the prices usually start from $20 and can go upto hundreds of dollars every month, depending on the resources your website needs.
- VPS Hosting: VPS Hosting is a lot similar to Cloud Hosting but in this hosting, you get a dedicated virtual server which is a part of a larger physical server. VPS hosting prices usually start at $30 per month and can go up hundreds of dollars.
- Dedicated Hosting: Dedicated hosting is a hosting service where you won’t be sharing resources with anyone; you will get a dedicated physical server for your website. If you are opting for unmanaged dedicated hosting, then you have to pay an average of $80 per month, and for managed, the prices start in the hundreds.
- Managed WordPress Hosting: As the name suggests, this type of hosting is only for WordPress websites, and its prices can start from $20 and can go up to $50 per month.
Hidden Costs of Website Hosting
Here we will explain all the hidden costs of website hosting.
1. Non-Refundable Setup Fees
Many hosting providers are transparent with their pricing structure, whereas some providers don’t show their complete pricing structure. They may charge you set up fees for setting up their hosting on your website. Some might claim that this setup fee is entirely refundable, but they might back out from their word later on.
Some hosting providers charge costly setup fees that you might not want to cancel your plans. Because then you need to migrate from one hosting service to another, and you have to pay the setup fee again for the next hosting service.
2. Increase in Renewal Fees
One of the highest hidden costs of website hosting is the increase in renewal fees. Pricing is one of the most significant factors we consider when buying a hosting service. Many hosting providers offer lucrative discount offers for the first month. Example- WPX hosting offers a 50% discount on their plans for the first month.
This might confuse users a little bit because they might think that the discounted price is the actual price they have to pay every month. They end up paying more than they thought, which can be frustrating. To avoid this, you need to read the small fine print given below the discounted price so you will know the renewal fees in advance.
3. Hosting Fee Adjustments
Because of inflation, the prices of everything increase over time, and the same goes for website hosting. Hosting providers revise their pricing plans from time to time. Many hosting providers offer a price lock feature where you will need to pay the same price you first paid to purchase the hosting.
The price lock feature saves you from any new pricing changes, but there are some hosting providers who back out on their word on this as well. So you need to verify whether their price-lock promise is valid or not before purchasing their hosting plan.
4. Less Secure Hosting Environments
If you are using a shared hosting service, then you might face some security issues in the future. In shared hosting, you need to share servers with different users. If that server gets hacked or damaged, then you are looking at additional costs to recover your website’s content. That’s why you always need to make sure that the hosting you are using is completely secure or not.
5. High SSL Charges
You need an SSL certificate for your website to qualify for search ranking. It is a necessity for all websites. That’s why you need to make sure you are purchasing a hosting service that offers an SSL certificate for free. This will save you a lot of money. However, they are some hosting providers who are charging for SSL certificates as well, and they charge a lot for SSL certificates.
6. Website Migration Fees
There might be times when you get stuck with a terrible hosting provider, and you feel like you need to move on to a better option. You need to consider the migration fees as well before moving on. There are many hosting services that offer free website migration.
So you need to make sure that you are not paying anything for the migration of your website from one hosting to another. If you don’t see anything related to migration on a hosting website, then contact their support team and ask them about their migration services.
7. Need For Content Delivery Network
If your target audience is from a specific geographic location, then make sure you’re buying a hosting service that is offering the closest server to that location. This will improve the page loading time for your target visitors. But not all web hosting providers have good server locations such as shared hosting.
In that case, you need a content delivery network to improve the speed of delivery of your website. CDN is a global network of servers that can help you deliver your content as quickly as possible. You need to pay the price to get access to CDN for your website. However, Cloudflare offers access to their CDN for free with some limitations.
How To Save On Hosting Costs
There are two things you can do to save on hosting costs.
1. If you are running a single low-traffic website, then use minimal resources for your website to get better performance. You won’t require a high-powered dedicated hosting server for this type of site. You need to start small; if you exceed the resources limit, then upgrade to a better hosting solution. This will save you a lot of money.
2. Choose a hosting solution that offers hosting at an affordable price without any hidden charges. Instead of paying just for hosting, you can get started with an all-in-one solution to launch your website. Elementor Cloud Website is an all-in-one solution that can help you build your website from the ground up.
You need to pay $99/year to get the subscription to the Elementor Cloud website. For this pricing, you will get Google Cloud hosting, secure CDN by Cloudflare, free primary elementor.cloud domain, free SSL certificate from DigiCert, automatic daily backups, and more.
The best thing about the Elementor Cloud Website is that there are no hidden charges with this plan. You can also take advantage of Elementor Pro features to design your website with it in this plan.
Conclusion: The Hidden Cost Of Website Hosting (2023)
Let’s be clear about one thing is that to create and publish your website on WordPress, you will need a third-party hosting solution. But with the Elementor Cloud website, you get hosting and pre-installed WordPress for your website. So you don’t have to worry about any hidden charges. But if you opt for a third-party solution, then keep an eye out for any hidden charges.
With the above list, you can check for all the hidden costs of website hosting and make sure there aren’t any. Let me know your thoughts on the hidden costs of website hosting in the comment section below.