When you are getting started with content marketing for your brand, deciding the types of content marketing you should go for can be confusing.
Content marketing is an excellent way to market your brand, but when you decide to step into the content marketing world, there are various options to choose from.
Undoubtedly, you can’t work on every type of content marketing altogether. In addition, each content marketing works differently for every user. For example, for small business or beginners, social media content marketing and email marketing works the best as it requires no initial investment and is less time-consuming.
Similarly, for powerful content marketing, blogs, videos, and podcasting is an excellent option.
We studied various reports and curated this article with all the facts and data to help you understand various types of content marketing.
Moreover, we have also listed tips to get started for each content type so that you can kick-start your content marketing journey by the end of this article!
With that, let’s take a look at different types of content marketing.
Top 9+ Types of Content Marketing: In a Nutshell
If you are on the go and need a quick overview of different types of content marketing, let’s see them at a glance below!
|Sr. No.||Type of Content Marketing||Key Takeaway|
|1.||Blogs||Effective long-form content that helps your audience get an idea about your brand.|
|2.||Videos||Best for making guides, educational videos, and reaching a wide audience.|
|3.||Podcasting||Best for users who want to reach a higher audience.|
|4.||Email Marketing||Best for small to large businesses for creating long-term relationships with their audience.|
|5.||Infographics||Best to present data in an engaging form.|
|6.||eBooks and Courses||Best for people who want to share in-depth information on a specific subject.|
|7.||Case Studies||Best to build reliability and trust for your audience.|
|8.||Webinars||Best for building a one-on-one relationship with your audience.|
|9.||Social media posts||Best for small businesses who want to get started with content marketing.|
Now that you have a quick overview of different types of content marketing, let us understand each of them in detail below!
Whether you want to attract your audience by showcasing your products and services or you want to educate people, videos will be your biggest aid! Video marketing can also be further categorized into various subcategories. For instance, you can use video marketing for YouTube, social media platforms, your website, or any other channel.
We studied Hubspot’s marketing report, and it states video marketing is one of the best investments for your content marketing strategy. The report also emphasizes how videos helped marketers increase up to 87% of their traffic. Since people prefer viewing engaging videos to reading long posts, videos can significantly increase your sales.
According to Hubspot’s report, up to 80% of sales directly come from your video marketing. One of the biggest perks of using videos as a form of content marketing is that you can convey your message that you will write 1,000 words for in a minute’s video.
It is also interesting to know that people love watching videos, even if they come across them at the most random time. According to Wistia, the total time people spent watching videos as of 2020 raised to 12.2 billion minutes!
Compared to long videos, short videos work better for many brands. Short-video content has an average engagement rate of 53.9%!
Image source: Wistia
Lastly, Statistica 2021 report depicts Facebook being the biggest platform for video content marketing after Google.
How to get started with video content marketing?
Your videos need to be relevant to what you do. Below are a few tips that will help you ensure successful video content marketing!
- Create a content plan before you start making videos. Check out your competitors or brands in a similar niche to analyze what they are doing.
- Understand your audience. For instance, what exactly do you want your audience to consume? This will help in jotting down what type of content you want to make -educational, informational, troubleshooting guides, or any other.
- Invest in a good photographer and videographer. Having a professional who knows how to create engaging content will help you attract your audience and build a solid online presence!
- Decide on your subject matter for your content.
- Prepare your content in advance. If you don’t have time to post manually, use scheduling tools and maintain consistency!
Blogs are one of the widely used content marketing methods. Previously, blogs were all about people expressing their thoughts on a particular subject. However, in recent years, there is been a tremendous change in almost every brand focusing on blogs.
Blogs on your website help your audience understand who you are and also assist in building a good online presence. Moreover, it will help in bringing higher traffic to your site and improve SEO.
According to Hubspot’s research, 48% of companies use blogging as their primary content marketing method.
One of the primary focus when using blogging for content marketing is to focus on the quality of your content. You must ensure your blogs provide value and help users solve their problems.
If your blogs do not help your audience in solving their intent, there are lower chances of your brand boosting from blogs. In addition, make sure your blogs are relevant to your product or services. If your topics do not match your offer, it can be another waste of time.
How to get started with blogs?
You have to ensure that your blogs speak for your brand. Here are a few tips to get started with blogs.
- Explore how your competitors are doing or see other brands in similar niches. You can browse through their blog sections to check what they are doing and how they are approaching it.
- Follow best SEO practices to ensure your content for SEO.
- Keep your topics revolving around your products.
Gone are those days when podcasting was just for fun. With 104 million Americans consuming Podcasts, you can push your content marketing strategy to the next level. Podcasting drives a higher engagement rate and is an easy medium for delivering content to your audience.
Let’s take a practical approach. Blog and video content need your audience to pay attention to understand what you want to convey. Compared to them, podcasts are easier to listen to, and your audience can consume the content while doing any other activity!
It would come as a surprise, but 52% of podcast listeners prefer listening to Podcasts while in the car, increasing your engagement significantly. You can create good scripts for your podcast and decide on what kind of podcast you would like to launch.
For an easy way, you can also divide your podcast into multiple short episodes, so your audience can easily listen to it. According to Whypodcasts, podcast listeners are one of the most loyal consumers, with 88% of podcast listeners sticking around to listen to the complete podcast.
Lastly, you can use social media platforms to launch your podcasts, as 93% of listeners are driven by social media!
Image source: Whypodcasts
Tips to get started with podcasting?
We have a complete guide on how to start podcasting which you can refer HERE. We have an in-depth guide that can help you get started.
Additional tips include:
- Analyze the type of podcast you want to publish and your audience type.
- Invest in the right tools for your podcast. Pick the right podcast host as it will help significantly in reaching a broader audience.
- Always prepare your content in advance.
4. Email Marketing
Email marketing has been one of the most common forms of content marketing. Despite being an old approach, it remains a strong and powerful content marketing type. Campaign Monitor report from 2019 states email marketing is the second-most powerful content marketing method for small businesses.
You can use email marketing in your best interest in multiple ways. For example, you can use emails to create hype about your product launch, use them for newsletters where people can subscribe, exclusive promo codes and discounts, or informational content.
Working individuals tend to open up their email as soon as they wake up. While this was common before, the shift to see people checking social media for their emails has seen a drastic increase.
What is more surprising is that Statistia reported email consumers to increase a whooping 4.48 billion by 2024. This makes email marketing the best way to maintain a healthy relationship with your consumers and keep them in contact in the long run.
If you are running a small business, starting with email marketing will be the best option since email marketing benefits every business owner. Lastly, you can utilize email marketing with other content marketing methods to make it more personalized and create a powerful content marketing strategy.
How to get started with email marketing?
If you are already running email campaigns, the first step is to analyze how your email marketing has worked until now. On the other hand, here are a few tips if you are new to email marketing.
- What kind of emails do you want to focus on -newsletters, product updates, discounts?
- Start with newsletters, to begin with. Ask your audience to subscribe to your newsletter, through which you can simultaneously give hints about your products or tools. You can also talk about the common problems and methods to resolve them so your audience will be excited about your next newsletter.
- Focus on creating personalized emails as your audience will likely open emails that they find relatable or interesting to read.
- Invest in a good email marketing tool. There are various excellent email marketing tools available in the market. These tools will help you run email campaigns that help your brand.
Whether you are a small business owner or already running a well-sized business, infographics are an excellent method to boost your content marketing game.
Infographics can help in delivering informational content to your audience with eye-catching graphics that lure your audience to read your content.
Infographics work excellently for informational content with data. When you present data, you must ensure how you display it. Having your data presented to your audience with amazing graphics will make it readable for your audience. Additionally, if you support your product with reliable data and facts through infographics, you are likely going to build a reputable image of your brand.
You can use infographics to post on your website and social media platforms at the same time. Infographic content marketing is ideal for small business owners as it is a low-cost marketing tactic and visually appealing, eventually giving a higher engagement rate.
How to get started with infographics?
Infographics work best if you follow the right practices. Here are a few steps for successful infographic marketing.
- Finalize the type of content you want for your infographics and create a content plan accordingly.
- Utilize templates for faster infographic marketing. You can use various graphic designing software. Some of this software is available for free, so you don’t have to stress about investing your money in a tool.
- Constantly test your content on social media by evaluating which infographic type is highly liked by your audience and grow accordingly.
6. eBooks and Courses
eBooks and courses are two of the most powerful content marketing types that will help build credibility. Let us understand each of them separately.
Talking about eBooks, it works differently than other content marketing types. Compared to blog posts, they hold longer value and provide in-depth knowledge about a particular subject. You can roll out your eBooks for free or charge a fee for the same, depending on how you want to deliver your content.
Additionally, eBooks become your permanent asset which you can market in different ways. You can send download links through your email newsletters, social media, blogs, and more. eBooks work best for users who want to deliver detailed content but don’t have a blog yet.
On the other hand, courses work similarly. If you are an expert or a teacher, selling courses is an excellent way to help others through your knowledge. If you want to sell your courses for free, you can easily send your course download links to your audience by merging other content marketing methods.
There are various platforms that facilitate building courses from scratch without any complicated process. Platforms like Teachable and Kajabi will allow you to create, sell, and market your course under one roof! However, make sure your course provides value to your audience. If the course provides value and helps users, only then will you be able to get a favorable result.
How to get started with eBooks and courses?
eBooks and courses do not always have to be completely new. You can utilize the existing resources on the internet and come up with something on your own. On the other hand, you can also build your eBook or course from scratch.
- Identify the topics that people are excited to read. Similarly, for courses, understand the current market for the niche.
- It is essential to understand the current market for eBooks and courses before you go ahead and create one.
- Spend time creating your eBook and course. Instead of rushing to deliver your content to your audience, spend time creating them so your audience can get valuable returns.
7. Case studies
Your primary goal in content marketing is to generate leads and sales and maintain a good relationship with your customers/audience. All these are possible when you build trust with your audience. There may be thousands of brands globally offering the same product/service as yours, and trusting one single brand is a significant challenge for the audience.
One small error can lead to you losing your customer forever since they can easily switch to other brands offering the same. For building loyalty and trust, showing case studies can work amazingly.
You can show your buyers about your journey through case studies and present your expertise well. You can conduct surveys and showcase them through your case studies. When your customers view case studies, they can learn about other users’ journeys with your brand.
Eventually, it will help in building reliability and trust with your brand.
How to get started with case studies?
Compared to other forms of marketing, case studies are time-consuming because you need to present facts and actual data instead of simple assumptions. Here are a few tips that can help you.
- Ask your previous customers for their testimonials and feedback.
- Conduct surveys about your products and use them for your case studies.
- Always present your case studies relevant to your services and products. You don’t want your audience to be disappointed in your brand by seeing something that does not relate to your brand or the service/products you offer.
Your audience needs more than blogs, emails, and social media posts. Similar to videos, webinars are yet another effective content marketing method. While video marketing would be for a general audience, webinars focus particularly on one topic/area.
Through webinars, you can build a one-on-one connection with your audience where you can talk about your product, how it will benefit your audience, or solve their queries in person. One of the best parts about webinars is that you don’t have to spend anything to get started.
If you are selling products online, you can conduct webinars regularly to demonstrate how it works or training webinars. When you conduct regular webinars, your audience will be excited to know more about your brand.
One of the best ways to ensure your webinar marketing works in your favor is by marketing them so people are aware of when and about what the webinar will be about. You can promote your webinar a few weeks before so people will save the date and join in. Additionally, when conducting a webinar, ensure it comes from industry experts. This could be your in-house experts or guests.
How to get started with webinars?
There is no rocket science behind how to start a webinar. Since everything is digital, you can ensure most people already know how webinars work, assuming they may have seen advertisements or taken online courses. Even if they don’t know, you can use a few tips mentioned below!
- You don’t want to deliver an hour’s lecture straight to your audience during webinars. Engaging webinars is the key to successful webinar content marketing. Add presentations using infographics and deliver what your audience is really keen to know.
- Keep your webinars educational so your audience can utilize their time to learn something new.
- Avoid being too informal during webinars as you don’t want your audience to consume your content as if you are just passing the time or are not serious about what you say. At the same time, you can interact with your audience to keep a positive vibe.
- Market your webinar instead of directly conducting it. You can use social media, emails, and your website to inform your audience about the webinar. If you have a guest or expert, make sure to advertise about them.
9. Social Media Posts
With billions of daily active users, social media platforms are emerging as one of the strongest content marketing platforms. Considering it does not require any initial investment, it generates excellent results.
You can also generate leads and direct sales from your social media posts by adding your products through the shop feature or linking your website. Platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat is a popular ways to reach your audience within a short span.
It is not surprising to see every kind of business -small or large trying their best to build a social presence with their posts. You can use carousels, stories, short content, and videos to educate your customers about your product/services.
When talking about social media marketing, we can’t forget to mention meme marketing. Memes initially entered as fun and entertaining, but when brands understood the power it holds and the higher engagement rates over them, they added meme marketing as a part of their social media content!
Through memes, your audience can connect with the content and engage with it compared to normal posts that can sometimes go unnoticed. So, being funny is also a skill that will help you build your audience!
Additionally, since social media is accessible to everyone and has a higher audience, you can run social media campaigns using paid promotions/ads. Moreover, social media marketing and influencer content go hand-in-hand. While your post may not reach a higher audience, the power of influencers will boost your content marketing!
You can invite top influencers in your niche to collaborate with your brand through influencer marketing. These influencers can endorse your products and services and promote them to their audience. Some influencers charge a designated fee for the collaboration/promotion, while some may not charge but expect free products/services from your end (barter system much!).
How to get started with social media content?
Social media can benefit every business type. Irrespective of your business type and size, you can follow these tips to get a successful result.
- Check how other brands are maintaining their social media presence and the type of content their audience is loving.
- Educate yourself about the usage of different social media platforms for content marketing. It is vital to note that every platform works differently. So what works for your Instagram profile may not work for Facebook or Twitter. Therefore, spend some time understanding how each platform works.
- Utilize the power of Instagram reels and other video content forms. Create high-quality and short videos that attract your audience.
- If you have the budget to invest in a social media manager, you should always go with one. This is because social media managers are trained and educated about how each platform work. Since they have worked with other brands before, they can help you build a good online presence.
Final Thoughts: Best Types of Content Marketing (2022)
With people consuming higher content than before now, content marketing is, undoubtedly, an effective way to raise brand awareness and bring success to your brand.
With the different types of content marketing explained above, you can decide which content marketing type you should start with. We recommend starting with one type initially and as you grow, you can combine the power of multiple content marketing types together!
Getting started with any type of content marketing won’t do any harm. However, you must analyze what type of information you want to provide to users, what would be the primary goal of your content marketing, and what medium. Once you know the answers, you can pick one from the list mentioned above.
For beginners and small business owners, social media and email marketing can be one of the best ways to get started with content marketing.
For building a personal brand, utilize the power of social media content by combing infographics and videos! As you build your audience through social media, you can scale to email marketing, podcasts, and blogs.