There are various types of podcasts on the internet. You can categorize them according to genre, content, or people included in the podcast. In today’s era, podcast is one of the most blooming types of media on the web.
You will find more than 48 million episodes of podcasts around the web. More population globally has shifted to the podcast and prefer them over other media. You can listen to podcasts on the go or even while performing some other task.
If you want to start your own podcast, you must know the basics of podcasting. Don’t worry. We got your back. I have listed all the different types of podcasts and their examples to help you understand them. You can choose the type of podcast that interests you the most and start creating yours. You can also choose a mix of all the podcasts and create what excites you the most.
Types of Podcast: In a Nutshell
The podcast type you choose must be suitable to the consistency of your uploading podcasts. You must be clear about what format will be the best for you and what will drive the attention of your audience.
People will start listening to your podcasts once they start connecting with you. All you need is to stay consistent and understand what your audience loves. Furthermore, if you are sure about what type and format your podcast will be, you have cut down your competition to that limited niche.
Let us take a detailed look at all the formats of the podcasts that you can choose from.
1. The Interview Podcast
The most common format in the industry of podcasts is the interview podcast. They are the most widely preferred type. Most podcasters invite guests to make their podcasts popular and grow their reach across the audience.
Many podcasters prefer this type as it helps them to learn various new things and concepts by interacting with famous personalities. Indeed interview podcasts are best are they provide the audience with the details behind the scene gossip and details on what helped successful people achieve their life goals, and we as an audience get to understand various aspects of life.
- Minimal editing is required in the interview podcasts as they are expected to be delivered in the natural flow.
- You are sure to get more audience as there will be many fans and followers of the guests you will invite to your podcast.
- These podcasts are usually interesting as they include various personal experiences and discussions on the personal lives of the guests as well as the host.
- You are sure to never run out of the topic as the guests talk and share their own perspectives and ask you questions when they feel like it.
- Once you start to feel comfortable with the format and feel to extend your type, you can even choose to start with the panel discussion podcasts.
- Sometimes it would be difficult to find the right guests for your show.
- The guests may have to cancel their interview due to urgent meetings or changes in the schedule.
- There is already a lot of competition in the interview podcast niche.
2. The Conversational Podcast
The conversation podcast usually has two or more hosts. In each episode, they discuss different topics, and it is more like a casual talk between two friends. After the interview format, the conversational format is the most preferred type. They are truly interesting when included with some really interesting topics.
Conversational podcasts will surely be suitable for you if you have a friend that vibes the same as you. You could also invite guests to your podcast once you feel comfortable with the format. You may choose to switch the format.
- Conversational podcasts don’t require much editing as they are meant to be in the natural flow.
- For the conversational podcast, you will need just a rough outline, and you will be good to go.
- The audience will be able to connect with you and your co-host as the format is liked by most of the listeners.
- You are sure to never run out of conversation and topics, and both the cohost will supply each other with energy.
- You will have to depend on your co-host for the energy in the podcast.
- If your host is drained, you will surely lose track of your mood.
- You will have a hard time creating good chemistry with your co-host if not chosen wisely.
- You may find it difficult to distribute equal time equally during the podcasts as sometimes one may get more chance to speak and the other might not.
3. The Monologue/ Solo Podcast
As the name may suggest, the monologue podcast or a solo podcast comprises only one host. This is a suitable format for you if you are the one with expertise in a certain topic and can speak for hours and hours on it.
Many beginners also choose this format to share their life experiences and their personal views. The solo podcasts usually don’t require much preparation. All you will need is good podcasting equipment and a good topic to start with.
Furthermore, the solo podcast easily ranks in the podcast industry as most of the audience love to prefer solo podcasts.
- You would not need to check your schedule with anyone else and record your podcast at the most suitable time that you prefer.
- You can build a great relationship with your audience as you are the only one that will be hosting the podcast.
- The most important aspect of your podcast will be the content. If you have good content, you are sure to bloom in the market.
- Solo podcasts are a powerful medium to build your brand.
- If you don’t have enough energy, you won’t have a partner to cheer you up.
- You will need to carry out all the conversation yourself, and it may become boring on the days that you lack energy.
- You will have to do all the work alone in the initial stages of starting your podcast.
4. The Panel Podcast
The panel podcast or the round table podcasts are similar to that the interview podcasts. This format involves conversations with a group of hosts. The podcast involves interviews as well as discussion parts.
It is a great option to go for if you have a group of friends with the same vibes and craze. Discussing various topics in each new episode may be great when you have exciting guests and addictive subjects. Usually, there is a host that anchors the podcast, and others have their specific roles.
- It may be easy to gather an audience if you have involving topics.
- Long-time listeners may easily hook up with this format and the jokes and fun that you have during the interviewing process and in the discussion part.
- It may be hard to record the podcast considering everyone’s schedule.
- Maintaining everyone’s mood may be difficult, and the conversations may go off track.
- Different personalities may find it difficult to blend in.
5. Non-fictional Storytelling podcast
If you are not sure how to create content daily or come up with a new topic for every episode of your podcast, you can start with non-fiction podcasts. You could deliver a true story to your audience or share the latest update related to it.
You can also choose to deliver news to your audience and behind-the-scenes news after researching the topic. Storytelling podcasts may also include the story of your life or some famous personality. Moreover, you can also follow some investigations and report the latest happenings with your audience.
- You won’t need to plan your content or search for new topics for every new episode.
- Taking interesting topics like some case or investigation or some mystery may keep your audience hooked with your podcast series.
- If you have very interesting stories to share and every episode comprises a new mind-blowing story, the audience will surely keep coming back to your podcast.
- You may not be able to find all the minute details of the story that you have picked in the previous podcast.
- You may lack enough valid sources for the story that you have chosen to deliver.
- More planning and research is required for such types of podcast.
6. Theater/ Fictional Podcast
You can surely take advantage of the podcasts to share your fictional stories with the audience. You can recreate a new story of your own or share an existing story with your audience.
Usually, the theatre podcast involves various podcasters, as the storyline may include various roles that need to be played. However, you can also carry out the solo podcast and deliver a fictional story.
If you have reached a greater audience base, you can also include sound effects in your podcast. It is an ideal choice for you if you like delivering fascinating stories.
- There is not much competition in the market for fictional podcasts.
- Interesting story plots can be addictive for the audience.
- You can bring your stories to life by giving the required sound effects and voices.
- It may require a lot of work and planning to create the required effects and storyline.
- It might be difficult to attract the audience as most of the listeners do not prefer this format.
- It can be difficult to edit the podcast as there are various plots and storylines.
7. Educational Podcast
These podcasts may be of any format but only focuses on educational niches. You are sure to grab the attention of a lot of audiences trying to learn a specific topic. These types of podcasts may contain a lot of information and details.
Starting a podcast on an educational niche will always provide you a helping hand in learning deeply about the topics on which you plan to create the podcasts. You can always choose to invite excerpts from the industry who can provide great insights into the topics that you host your podcasts on.
- Providing great insights into the topics will keep your audience hooked.
- You can also provide your audience with the supplements like pdf, free courses, or worksheets to keep them coming back for more learning material.
- You will be able to gain the upper hand in the niche that you are selected to create podcasts, as it is rightly said learning never stops.
- Without visual explanations, some topics may be challenging to teach.
- Your audience will stop listening to your podcast if you don’t provide them with the required value.
- There is great competition in the educational niche, with a number of experts trying to share their knowledge.
8. Repurposed Content Podcast
In this format, you will have to reframe already existing content and deliver the kit in your own way. You can reframe the content in a way to provide more value to the audience. It can be a great way to reach more audiences and hook them up to your episodes.
You will need to edit and recreate the content in a way that will captivate the audience. You can also generate content from another medium for the podcast. You must add additional efforts into creating regenerated content to keep the audience hooked as there is original content already available on the web easily.
- You don’t need to find new content ideas for every episode, as there are enough ideas easily available.
- The content created is sure to attract an audience by adding some flavors and giving your own touch to the podcasts.
- If you fail to attract the attention of the audience, your podcast will not generate enough reach.
- Audiences may find it boring to listen to your podcasts if you don’t pick up the correct topics.
- You may have a hard time reframing the original content to attract the audience as there is already a great competition in the format.
9. Hybrid Podcast
A hybrid podcast is one of the most preferred podcasts by beginners. If you are not clear about which podcast format will be the most suitable one for you, you can start by trying all the formats of the podcasts.
You can also choose hybrid podcasts to gain enough flexibility over your niche. It also gives you space to experiment with your comfort zone.
- You can select a podcast format that you wish, as there is no restriction in the podcast format.
- The hybrid podcast helps you to increase your skills in all the podcast formats and gives you an edge over others.
- You can keep your audience engaged by increasing the suspense for the next episode.
- You can get overwhelmed by the number of topics available to create a podcast.
- Some audiences prefer only a selected niche over a hybrid one.
- If you fail to have interesting topics, you may lose your audience.
10. Limited Series Podcast
Not everyone has the time in their life to sit and listen to a podcast episode for 45-60 minutes. It is also really time-consuming to prepare for an hour-long podcast episode, so it will be best for you to create short series consisting of short and crisp episodes.
These limited-series podcasts are usually based on crime, novels, situations, fiction, etc. Once all the facts about the case are revealed throughout different episodes, the series ends. This type of podcast can be good for you to attract your audience.
- Shorter episodes mean you won’t have to spend a lot of time preparing, editing, and recording.
- A limited series podcast can help you determine your audience’s interest.
- You can create multiple limited-series podcasts and keep your audience entertained.
- To prepare for a limited series podcast, you must plan all its episodes in advance.
- You have to figure out how you can deliver the best value or entertainment in a short time.
How To Choose A Podcast Type?
Choosing the right podcast type is not very difficult. You just need to consider a few things first, and you will know in which category your podcast will fit right it. Here are three important questions you need to ask yourself before starting a podcast and choosing its category:
1. What Type Of Information Do You Want To Share?
The first thing you need to decide is what your podcast will be about, like what type of information you will share with your audience. It is best that you stay on one category because if you change topics constantly, then your audience won’t know what type of podcast you’re running.
2. How Do You Want To Run Your Podcast?
This is the most important question because this will help your podcast get into multiple categories. You can run a podcast in many ways, such as running a podcast with a co-host, having a solo podcast, conducting interviews, or having a panel of guests or hosts.
3. Who is The Target Audience For Your Podcast?
If you figure out who will be your target audience, then it is to decide on a category for your podcast. The common mistake new podcasters make is choosing a different podcast category, but their target audience is completely different. If that’s the case, then you can forget that your podcast will ever get famous.
Wrapping Up: Types of Podcast
That’s all about the types of podcasts.
Podcasting can be a great interest and also a source of income once it’s on demand. Many famous podcasters today started their journey of podcasting just as a hobby. Later they made it their career.
Now that you have decided to start your podcast, you did a good job of researching the podcast and their types. You can also find the right platform to host your podcasts on our best podcast hosting page. I hope that the above article has helped you in answering your question regarding which podcast you should start.
If you are still confused about which podcast type to go with, I would strongly suggest you start with the hybrid podcast type and understand which podcast you most enjoyed. In the end, it’s all about what you like and what you enjoy
FAQs: Types Of Podcast
The most popular podcasts in the US are comedy podcasts. They help people to relax and have fun in their free time.
What are the 5 elements of a podcast?
The most important 5 elements of the podcast are focusing on a central idea, delivering authentic data, focusing on schedules, Playing to an audience, and maintaining the structure.
The podcast can become successful when to start uploading them consistently and try to create a podcast better than the previous one. There is no recipe for success in podcasting; all you need to work on is successfully creating better and more entertaining content.
If your podcast is providing value to the users, your podcast is surely a good podcast. There’s no such thing as good or bad in the podcast. If the audience can relate with you and get the required content from your podcast, you are surely on the right track.