Are you planning to build a new website using a website builder but are confused between Webflow and Wix? To help you decide, we have done an unbiased Webflow vs Wix comparison here.
Creating a website from scratch is always a challenging task if you are not a coding person. That’s why you need a website builder to help you in creating your dream website. But there are a lot of options available on the market, and choosing one from all these options can be overwhelming.
That’s why we have trimmed down the options for you and brought you an in-depth comparison of two of the best website builders, Webflow and Wix. We have compared these tools based on their ease of use, design & flexibility, customization options, pricing, and more.
Stick till the end to find out which website builder is the right option for you between Webflow and Wix.
So without wasting any more time, let’s get started.
Webflow vs Wix: Key Differences
Here are the key differences between Webflow and Wix.
- Webflow gives you the complete customization option, which you can use to customize your complete website, whereas Wix offers you templates to design most of your website.
- You don’t need coding to create a website with Wix, whereas Webflow offers an HTML CSS editor that allows you to use coding to design your website.
- Webflow University comes with a lot of tutorials and a knowledge base, whereas Wix doesn’t have an extensive knowledge base such as Webflow.
- You can sell your products on Wix stores, whereas Webflow does not offer such a feature.
Webflow vs Wix: Overview
Here is the complete overview of Webflow and Wix.
Webflow has been around for nearly a decade now, and still, some of its features feel relatively new, especially eCommerce features. Webflow has managed to gain over 3.5 million users over these past few years. It is much more than just a website builder because it is also a CMS (Content Management System), much like WordPress but relatively easy to use than WordPress.
This platform is a great choice for those users who wants to create a website for their small businesses, blogs, portfolio, etc. Web designers can use its extraordinary features to create professional websites. This platform was created to keep web designers in mind who want to create a fully customized website from scratch. It offers you extra customization options that you will find in WordPress.
Wix has been around a lot longer than Webflow, and it has made quite a name for itself over these a few years. It has a user base of over 300 million people across 190+ countries. The reason behind Wix’s immense popularity is that it has an easy-to-use interface, and it does not need any kind of coding to create a website. The user base of Wix is rapidly growing all because of its free forever plan, which gives you access to everything you need to create your first website.
It is also one of the first hybrid website builders. That means it allows you to manually create a website or let Wix’s ADI (Artificial Design Intelligence) create a personalized website for you. It comes with an intuitive drag & drop editor that allows beginners to create a website easily. It also offers you tools like Velo (web development platform), EditorX, and a complete marketing toolkit.
Webflow vs Wix: Detailed Comparison
Now we will compare both Webflow and Wix in detail in this section.
User Interface & Ease Of Use
The first thing you should look at in a website builder is if it is easy to use or not. If you get an easy-to-use website builder, then you might have to compromise with flexibility, but Wix offers you both. This tool was designed to keep inexperienced users in mind. With Wix editor, you can drag & drop any element on any page of your website. You can also customize the pages of your website easily. It comes with over 800 designer templates to help you design your web pages. You can also let Wix’s ADI design your website if you don’t want to do the manual work.
Webflow is better when compared to WordPress in terms of ease of use, but it still needs a little bit used to understand the working of this tool fully. It offers a lot of customization features that can be a little overwhelming for beginners. You can also adjust the margins and paddings of each web page. It also shows you the CSS code of whatever element you’re adding to a webpage. There is a steep learning curve a beginner has to go through to understand Webflow completely.
Verdict: Wix is much easier to use than Webflow. It is the best option for beginners, and they can easily use all the tools of this platform.
Design & Customization Options
We love Wix because it has amazing templates that are fully customizable and easy to use on any web page. You can use its drag & drop editor on your web pages to add elements like video, forms, images, buttons, grids, sections, and more. You can also edit the background of these elements, such as changing their color, font size, alignment, and adding links. The only downside to Wix is that once you choose a theme, you can not switch to any other theme without losing your complete progress.
The design editor of Webflow gives you complete control over your website. It has over 500 fully customizable templates that you can use on your website. It also allows you to copy your website’s HTML and CSS code and share it with whomever you want. Webflow gives you complete layout freedom, which means you can place elements wherever you want on the web page. It also allows you to create reusable symbols from elements such as footers, navigation forms, sign-up forms, and more.
Verdict: If you want more control over where you want to place elements on each web page of your website, then Webflow is the better option than Wix.
To get the eCommerce features on Wix, you need to purchase an eCommerce plan on Wix. After that, you can simply add a store on your website and set up a few things and start accepting payments. It gives you the option to sell as many digital and physical products as you want. On the eCommerce plans, you will get access to over 100 store templates that you can use to design your stores. You can process & track all your products, handle shipping, and integrate dropshipping services.
The eCommerce features of Webflow were launched back in 2018. Since then, they have been improving their capability. Unlike Wix, you can not sell unlimited products on Webflow. There is a limitation in every plan to how many products you can sell. But it gives you much better customization options such as creating custom product fields, building custom landing pages, and more. You can also sell physical and digital products on Webflow. For abandoned cart recovery, you need to integrate your website with a third-party plugin called Monto.
Verdict: Wix offers a lot more features for eCommerce than Webflow. It offers multi-currency pricing, customer account features, and abandoned cart recovery features. Webflow does not offer these features; that’s why Wix is a better platform than Webflow when it comes to creating an eCommerce store.
When it comes to creating a portfolio website, both Wix and Webflow offer a lot of features. On Wix, you will get access to over 60 different portfolio templates, and all of these templates are well-designed, stylish, and modern. These portfolio templates are further categorized in photography, modeling, copywriting, and acting categories, so there will be no limitations to your imagination. These templates also include some in-built features such as blog, contact form, online store, and image galleries.
If you are a web designer and want to create a portfolio that showcases your design skills properly, then you will need the portfolio templates of Webflow. It also gives you the option to create your portfolio website from scratch if you want to create something unique on your own. If not, then you can use the templates of Webflow, although none of the portfolio templates of Webflow are free of cost. Even with using templates, you will still need to put in a lot of work to create your perfect portfolio website.
Verdict: Wix is an easier option than Webflow, but if you want more control over what you’re adding and creating, you will want to use Webflow. That means it is a tie between Wix and Webflow when it comes to portfolio features.
Nowadays, every brand and website is using blogging to improve the credibility & SEO of their website. To create a blog on Wix, you just need to select a website template with an in-built blog. Or you can use a blog-specific template on your website; you can use different templates for your main website and its blog section on Wix. With Wix’s visual editor, you can add categories, tags, authors, images, videos, HTML code, and galleries.
Webflow comes with a powerful CMS (content management system) that allows you to edit & upload your content directly from the Webflow dashboard. It also comes with an on-page editing feature that allows you to edit your content live on your website. Webflow automatically generates meta descriptions, graph settings, and meta titles to reduce your work. You can use its suggestion, or you can edit it manually. To set up a blog on Webflow requires a lot of work than Wix.
Verdict: The blogging features of Webflow are much more potent and effective than Wix, which gives you more control over your blog. That’s why Webflow is a better choice than Wix if you want to create a blogging website.
Now it all comes down to the most important aspect, which platform offers better SEO features that will help you easily get ranked on search engines. Both Webflow and Wix offer amazing SEO features but stating one platform is better than the other will be wrong when it comes to SEO. Because SEO is much more complex, and even after you do proper SEO on your website, still it all comes down to the quality of the content.
That being said, both Webflow and Wix offer SEO features like automatic XML sitemap, editable robots.txt files, automatic canonical tags, 301 redirects, SSL certificate, and structured data. A few things Webflow offers that Wix does not are page speed optimizations and code minification.
Verdict: It is a tie between Webflow and Wix when it comes to SEO features.
If you want more features on your website, then you will need to add third-party apps on your website. Wix offers over 300 apps, and you can find these apps on the Wix App Market. You can enable any one of these apps with just one click; you don’t need to embed any code to your website to use the app. Wix also offers a few decent apps of its own such as Wix Music, Wix Bookings, and Wix Members Area.
You can find over 250 apps in Webflow’s integration library. These apps are divided into different categories such as analytics, eCommerce, memberships, email marketing, and more. It also allows you to integrate your own app to the platform if you have the integration. To use any of these apps, you need to embed its code on your website.
Verdict: Wix offers more third-party integrations than Webflow that can easily enhance the capability of your website.
Resources & Support
The customer support team of Wix is available 24*7. To raise an issue, you need to fill out the contact page of Wix, and they will respond to your ticket as soon as possible. You can also find answers to some of your questions in the help center of Wix. The callback service of Wix is also available in multiple languages. There are two ways to contact the support team of Wix: Email and the Ticketing system.
You can find a plethora of resources on the Webflow university. They have included guides, lessons, courses, and videos on almost every topic you might think of. To contact the support team of Webflow, you need to email them your issue. The response time is quite low from Webflow’s end. Also, they only offer 24*5 support. There is a live chat option available, but that takes a little bit of time to connect to the chat support executive.
Verdict: Both Webflow and Wix offer a lot of resources to work with. But when it comes to one-on-one support service, Wix is the better option between the two.
Webflow vs Wix: Pros & Cons
Here are the benefits & drawbacks of using Webflow and Wix.
- Webflow gives you access to advanced customization tools that you can use to design the website of your dreams.
- It comes with a free plan allowing you to test out all the features of Webflow.
- It also gives you access to advanced SEO tools.
- You don’t need a third-party web hosting service with Webflow because it is included in all the plans.
- Webflow gives you access to its online community where you can connect with other users.
- There is a learning curve with Webflow, which can take a lot of your time to get acquainted with Webflow completely.
- You can create a project with a free plan, but you can not take it online without purchasing a subscription.
- Wix offers 24*7 customer support on all of its pricing plans.
- Wix has a beginner-friendly interface which makes it really easy for you to use its tools.
- You get access to hundreds of ready-made templates that you can use to design your website. They are also fully customizable.
- You can easily add an online store and a blog to your Wix website.
- Just like Webflow, Wix also offers an in-built cloud hosting service.
- The limit on bandwidth and storage is very low on the cheaper plans.
- Once you choose a theme, Wix doesn’t allow you to change themes. If you do change them, then you will lose all your website’s content.
Webflow vs Wix: Pricing Comparison
Let’s compare the pricing plans of Webflow and Wix in detail here.
There are two types of pricing options available on Webflow, and they are as follows:
The Site plan comes with four different pricing options. The first plan is completely free of cost, and it offers limited access to Wix’s features. The premium plans are as follows:
1. Basic Plan: You have to pay $15/mo or $12/mo yearly to get the basic plan. It will give you all the essential features to launch your website and connect to a custom domain.
2. CMS Plan: To get the CMS plan, you have to pay $20/mo or $16/mo yearly. With this plan, you can easily start a blog or any other content-driven website.
3. Business Plan: You have to pay $45/mo or $36/mo yearly to get the business plan. With this plan, you can easily build a high-traffic marketing website.
The Ecommerce plan comes with three different pricing options, and they are as follows:
1. Standard Plan: To get the standard plan, you have to pay $43/mo or $29/mo yearly. This plan is best for new businesses set their foot on the ground.
2. Plus Plan: You have to pay $84/mo or $74/mo yearly to get the plus plan. This plan is best for high-volume businesses.
3. Advanced Plan: You have to pay $235/mo or $212/mo to get the advanced plan yearly. This plan is best for those businesses that want to take things to the next level.
We also have an exclusive Webflow promo code to help you save a few bucks on your purchase.
Wix comes with two types of pricing plans, and they are as follows:
The website plan comes with four different pricing options, and they are as follows:
1. Combo Plan: The combo plan has a pricing of $16/mo. This plan is best for personal use.
2. Unlimited Plan: The unlimited plan has a pricing of $22/mo. This plan is best for freelancers & entrepreneurs.
3. Pro Plan: The pro plan has a pricing of $27/mo. This plan is best for those who want to do complete online branding of their business.
4. VIP Plan: The VIP plan has a pricing of $45/mo. This plan will get priority support on Wix.
Business and eCommerce Plans
The business and eCommerce plan comes with three different pricing options, and they are as follows:
1. Business Basic Plan: This plan has a pricing of $27/mo. This plan will give you most of the eCommerce features and allow you to accept online payments on your website.
2. Business Unlimited Plan: This plan has a pricing of $32/mo. This plan will help you grow your eCommerce business.
3. Business VIP Plan: This plan has a pricing of $59/mo. This plan will give you the full suite of tools to help you take your eCommerce business to the next level. If you think Wix is the right choice for you then save a few bucks on the purchase of a Wix subscription with our exclusive Wix Promo Codes here.
Verdict: It is a tie between Wix and Webflow when it comes to pricing because there is not much difference between their pricing plans.
Conclusion: Webflow vs Wix (2023)
So this is our in-depth Webflow vs Wix comparison. Now the only question remains: Which one should you choose?
If you are a beginner and want a website builder that is easy to use and comes with a plethora of features, then Wix is the right choice for you. If you want complete control over how you want to design your website, then Webflow is a great option for you. If you think these two website builders aren’t right for you then you should definitely give Elementor Cloud Website a try. It will give you the features of WordPress and Elementor Pro to work with on your website at just $99/year.
If you’re still not satisfied, then you can just get started with their free plans and see for yourself. Let us know your thoughts on this Webflow vs Wix comparison in the comment section below.
Both Webflow and Wix are amazing website builders that can help you create the type of website you want. Webflow gives you more control over your website, and designers and developers usually prefer it. Wix’s interface is beginner-friendly, and even beginners can create a website using Wix ADI without doing anything.
A website created with Webflow has a fast load time than a website created with Wix. Because Webflow does not add any unnecessary code to your website, which Wix does, and it eventually slows your website down.
There is not much difference in the pricing of Wix and Webflow, so it all comes down to which platform offers better features. So it depends on which one you want to use to create your website.
Yes, both Webflow and Wix come with a free plan which allows you to create your website with a few basic features. You will also get free Webflow and Wix domains.
If you want to create your eCommerce store, then Wix is a better option than Webflow. Because Wix offers features like abandoned cart recovery, multi-currency pricing, and custom account, these features Webflow does not offer.