There are several platforms to watch streamers play your favorite video games and have them watch your streaming sessions online, but the one that stands out amongst all of them is Twitch. The Amazon-owned streaming service focuses on broadcasting real-time gameplay and is available on a variety of devices.
Twitch is the platform that has had the most influence on the gaming industry.
While YouTube has also been a significant online revenue generator for the business, Twitch has essentially established a completely new industry.
Today, we are discussing all the key statistics about twitch that every gamer, viewer, and marketer should know. We cover all the topics, from how many people use twitch in 2023, to the platform’s revenue statistics and everything in between. So without any further due, let’s get into it.
Key Twitch Statistics (2023) At A Glance
- As of January 2023, twitch has 140 million unique visits each month.
- Twitch has 31 million daily active users (DAUs).
- As you read this article there are around 2,830,00 people watching twitch.
- Twitch users watched 1.3 Trillion minutes in between them in 2021.
- There are around 103,000 live streams happening on Twitch at any given time.
- 72% of Twitch users are between the ages of 16 – 34.
- Over 100 million people have downloaded the Twitch app.
- Twitch has 8.5 mil. monthly active streamers.
- Men account for 65% and females for the remaining 35% of Twitch viewers.
- League of Legends is the most-watched title on Twitch, with 48.1 billion view hours accumulated through video game streaming.
- Riot Games has the most followers on the platform, with over 6.3 million followers.
- Twitch generates $1.54 billion in income each year.
Miscellaneous Twitch Statistics at a glance
- Twitch viewers watch more than 70 million hours of content per day between them
- Twitch’s Partner Program Membership has increased by 68 percent since 2017.
- Typical Daily Active User spends an average of 95 minutes watching live gaming.
- Twitch had over 51,000 partners in 2021.
- Twitch accounts for 70% of all ESports viewing.
- Spanish Channels are the second most popular after English Channels.
- Globally, gaming is expected to grow at an annual growth rate of 10.5 percent from 2021 – 2025 which are positive signs for twitch as gaming is bread and butter for twitch.
- In 2021, Grand Theft Auto V was the most viewed game on Twitch.
- Every streamer has 25.1 viewers to them on an average
- In 2019, TwitchCon, Twitch’s very own convention program, had 28,000 visitors each day.
Twitch 2023 Statistics in Depth
1. Twitch Monthly Active Users
(Business of Apps, Twitch Tracker, Games Industry)
As per the latest reports, Twitch has 140 million Monthly Active Users (MAUs).
- Twitch receives content from 8 million unique streamers every month.
- According to data from twitch tracker, the total number of active Twitch streamers is 8.5 million as of January 2023. Its down from 9.89 million (January 2021)
- Twitch gets over 1.86 billion hours of watchtime by its users every month. This count can go upto 2.3 Bil. in peak months.
2. Twitch Daily Active Users
- Twitch has 31 million daily active users (DAUs).
- 2,830,000 people are watching Twitch at any given time. even right now!
- Around 103,000 people are streaming on Twitch at any given time
- Best days to stream are Sundays. With Saturdays being the second best.
- Twitch observes the least amount of viewers on Mondays.
3. Twitch User Growth
- Twitch developed significantly after its initial introduction in 2011. It had over 3 million monthly users in its first year.
Amazon was quick to see its potential and bought Twitch for $970 Million in 2014.
- The user rate has grown only upwards since 2011 and the most recent figures as of January 2023 claim that Twitch has over 140 Million unique monthly visitors.
- Below is the breakdown of Average Twitch Concurrent Viewers since 2012 to 2023:
|Year||Average Concurrent Viewers|
|2023 (January)||2.45 Million|
- Below is the breakdown of the Average Twitch Concurrent Channel since 2012 to 2023:
|Year||Average Concurrent Channel|
|2023 (January)||93.5 thousand|
4. How many users prefer Twitch over other social media for gaming
Below is the breakdown of the most preferred social media among gamers in the United States of America:
|Sr No.||Social media platform||%|
5. Twitch Users by Country
Given Twitch’s reputation for eSports streaming, there is a widespread belief that the Asia Pacific market dominates the platform. After all, countries like China, Japan, & South Korea account for three of the biggest video game marketplaces.
The answer is No, the main reason being firms like DouYu, a Chinese streaming mammoth, make it difficult for Twitch to enter non-Western regions.
Furthermore, Twitch has been restricted in China since September 2018.
Below are the five nations that send the most traffic to Twitch.tv:
|Country||Share of traffic|
|United States of America||20.46%|
|Republic of Korea||5.32%|
6. Twitch User’s Gender and Age statistics
- Males account for 65% of twitch viewers while females make up the remaining 35%.
|Gender||Share of users|
Twitch revealed official numbers on its user base back in 2017, back then, 81.5% of the viewers were male.
- Twitch has a majority of young audience. Approximately three-quarters 75% of all users are under the age of 35.
Here’s the full breakdown:
|Age||Share of Users|
|16 to 24||41%|
|25 to 34||32%|
|35 to 44||17%|
|45 to 54||7%|
|55 to 64||3%|
7. Device-based statistics
- On Twitch, smartphones are used by around 35% of users.
- If we compare twitch to Youtube, more than 70% of views come from smartphone users.
Fun fact: Twitch has been downloaded more than 100 million times from the Google Play Store.
8. Most Popular Languages on Twitch
9. Most popular streamers on Twitch.
Here is a list of top 10 most popular streamers on twitch as of January 2023.
|Rank||Channel Name||Owner’s Name||Followers|
|1||Ninja||Richard Blevins||18.4 Million|
|3||Rubius||Rubén Doblas||13.3 Million|
|4||ibai||Ibai Llanos||12.2 Million|
|5||xQc||Félix Lengyel||11.4 Million|
|6||Tfue||Turner Tenney||11.3 Million|
|7||TheGrefg||David Cánovas||10.4 Million|
|8||shroud||Michael Grzesiek||10.3 Million|
|9||juansguarnizo||Juan Sebastián Guarnizo||9.6 Million|
|10||pokimane||Imane Anys||9.2 Million|
- Ninja is the most popular male streamer on Twitch as of January 2023.
- Pokimane is the most popular female streamer as of January 2023.
10. Most popular games on Twitch (All-Time List)
(Statista and TwitchMetrics)
League of Legends is the all-time most-watched game on Twitch as of 2023.
Below is the table showing the list of the top 10 most-watched games on twitch of all time:
|League of Legends||55.28 Billion|
|Grand Theft Auto V||29.03 Billion|
|Counter-Strike: Global Offensive||24.96 Billion|
|DOTA 2||21.69 Billion|
|World of Warcraft||12.08 Billion|
Here is a list of the most popular games on Twitch as of January 2023:
|Grand Theft Auto V||86,831,633|
|Escape from Tarkov||67,616,058|
|World of Warcraft||66,794,118|
|League Of Legends||66,028,877|
|Call Of Duty: Warzone||42,926,812|
11. Twitch Revenue Statistics
(Business of Apps)
As of Q3 2022, Twitch earned $39.14 million in revenue through in-app purchases.
Here is a table showing Twitch’s app revenue from 2018 to 2022:
|Q3 2022||39.14 Million|
|Q2 2022||47.2 Million|
|Q1 2022||65.13 Million|
|Q4 2021||75.4 Million|
|Q3 2021||94.2 Million|
|Q2 2021||100.73 Million|
|Q1 2021||101.27 Million|
|Q4 2020||75.31 Million|
|Q3 2020||64.23 Million|
|Q2 2020||53.69 Million|
|Q1 2020||28.42 Million|
|Q4 2019||18.18 Million|
|Q3 2019||13.87 Million|
|Q2 2019||10.71 Million|
|Q1 2019||10.19 Million|
Twitch’s yearly advertising-income is $2.3 billion.
Subscriptions are Twitch’s other major revenue source. A study carried out by SuperData estimated total yearly Twitch income to be $1.54 billion through subscriptions.
- Twitch Ad Revenue breakdown
12. Twitch Employee Statistics
Twitch employs 1800 people. Twitch employees make an average of $124,380 annually.
13. Twitch Affiliate Program Statistics
people who are wishing to join the Twitch Affiliate program should have
- At least 50 followers and 500 cumulative streaming minutes over at least 7 distinct days.
- Twitch collaborations are reserved for limited creators; About 27,000 accounts have achieved this level as of 2023.
Streamers who play 40 hours per week may earn an average of upto $5000 each month via the affiliate program.
Conclusion: Twitch Users (2023)
We have listed all the important and updated statistics for Twitch as of January 2023 above. The Gaming community is projected to grow at multiple folds in the next few years, and this means only one thing, Twitch is also going to get big as the time passes. We keep updating this space with all the updated numbers. You will only get the precise numbers and most recent information. Be sure to let us know in the comments if you have more statistics to share.