ChatGPT has created a blizzard on the internet. OpenAI’s chatbot has broken all the records and has crossed 1 million users within one week of its launch.
ChatGPT was made available for public testing on 30th November 2022. It is built by OpenAI, a San Francisco-based company. The company is responsible for creating software like GPT-3 and DALL-E2.
In the following article, you will come across some mind-blowing facts and figures related to ChatGPT. We have also included details like what ChatGPT actually is, the estimated revenue generated, active users of the platform, and other essential details.
What Is ChatGPT?
GPT stands for Generative Pre-trained Transformer.
ChatGPT is built in addition to the Open AI’s GPT-3.5, an upgraded version of GPT 3. The GPT 3.5 is an autoregressive language model that uses deep learning to generate human-like text.
The primary techniques of deep learning used by the model include supervised learning and reinforcement learning from human feedback. It uses the previously entered responses from the user to generate its next reply.
ChatGPT and GPT3.5 were reported to be trained on an Azure AI supercomputing Infrastructure. The GPT-3.5 architecture is based on the latest text-Davinci-003 model released by OpenAI.
In simple words, the information provided by ChatGPT is clear and easy to understand. You can use it to generate ideas from scratch. It can help you to develop business strategies, provide you with recipes, help you with gift suggestions, write blogs, write codes, find bugs in code and explain the errors, etc.
ChatGPT generates text based on the data and information available on the internet in a way that’s more creative and advanced as compared to the chatbots of Silicon Valley.
How Does Chat GPT Works? (Infographic)
We have attached an image below that shows exactly how ChatGPT works. The source of this image is OpenAI’s official blog.
Take a look at it to know more:
ChatGPT Statistics At A Glance
- Chat GPT was launched on 30th November 2022.
- The new and improved embedding model of ChatGPT was launched on 15th December 2022.
- ChatGPT has crossed one million users within a week of its launch.
- $ 1 billion was received by OpenAI from Microsoft.
- ChatGPT can only fetch data prior to the year 2021 as its training stopped in the year 2021.
- Microsoft Azure supports OpenAI and provides them with the computational power required for running ChatGPT.
- ChatGPT owner OpenAI predicts that they will be able to generate a revenue of $1 billion by the end of the year 2024.
- $200 million in revenue is expected by the OpenAI by the end of the year 2023.
|Launched On||30th November|
|Head Quarters||San Francisco|
|Founders||Sam Altman(CEO), Elon Musk(Co-founder OpenAI),|
|Backed by||Microsoft, Khosla Ventures and LinkedIn co-founder Reid Hoffman.|
|Number of users||1 million +|
ChatGPT Statistics In-Depth
ChatGPT has crossed records within a few days of its launch. Tech enthusiasts are trying to find out ways the model can be used, its capabilities, and its limitations. To serve the curiosity of users about ChatGPT, we have listed the latest facts and figures about the platform in the following section.
- Active users of ChatGPT.
Sam Altman, CEO of Open AI, announced on Twitter that ChatGPT had crossed one million users within a few days of its launch.
On 5 December 2022, one week after the launch of ChatGPT, the CEO twitted about the achievement made by the model.
Seeing the growth of ChatGPT, it is expected that it will soon cross 1 billion users by the end of the last quarter of the year 2023.
- In which country is ChatGPT not available?
ChatGPT is unavailable in some notable countries and territories due to security reasons.
Here is a list of the countries that do not have access to the ChatGPT and GPT-3 technology.
Besides, multiple users from Egypt have reported that they cannot access the chatbot.
The organization has placed Ukraine on the list of terrorist countries along with Russia and Iran.
11. Will ChatGPT Be Monetized Soon?
CEO Sam Altman reported that they will have to monetize ChatGPT at some point as the computing costs to run the chatbot are “eye-watering.”
Elon Musk enquired about the average cost per chat. Sam Altman replied to Musk that the average cost per chat with ChatGPT will probably be single-digit cents. The company is trying to figure out the precise cost and the ways to optimize the cost.
Elon Musk twitted about the usage of Twitter’s database for training ChatGPT. He added that he had paused the supply of Twitter’s data to OpenAI. According to him, the company was non-profit and open source, which has now changed. He further added that he has to understand more about the revenue plans and governance structure while going forward.
12. ChatGPT Provides Users With Information Prior To 2021.
When asked about the latest political news and about the individuals and organizations involved in the chat, GPT replied, “as my training only goes up until 2021 ”. It furthermore added, “not currently able to browse the internet.”
The training of the model stopped in the year 2021. Hence, it does not provide the readers latest information or the latest updates.
On the other hand, it also does not provide details related to some of the issues prior to the year 2021.
13. Features Of Chat GPT
ChatGPT is one of the most efficient chatbots that responds to the creative, intellectual, logical, and imaginative queries of users. Let us take a look at the features of ChatGPT.
- ChatGPT remembers previous responses and prompts.
- Queries are filtered through moderation API to avoid offensive outputs from being present to and generated from ChatGPT. This method dismisses potentially racist or sexist prompts.
- It allows users to provide follow-up corrections for their responses.
14. Limitations Of ChatGPT
Every technology created by humans has some limitations. ChatGPT has various limitations as the model is still in the testing phase. OpenAI has made the model public in order to receive feedback from the users and work on its development. Let us take a look at the limitations of ChatGPT.
- The data available on ChatGPT is limited to the year 2021
- ChatGPT sometimes writes reasonable-sounding incorrect answers. These are mostly nonsensical and do not provide any value to the readers.
- It is sensitive to input phrasing. That means if you ask ChatGPT a question, it may claim not to know the answer. But with a sight rephrase of the question, you may get the required answer.
- The model sometimes provides biased answers to the issues.
- It often excessively uses some phrases. Especially the phrases restating that it is a language model trained by Open-AI.
- Ideally, the model is used to ask the users to clarify the questions when the user asks an ambiguous answer. Instead, the current updated model guesses the user intent.
- The ChatGPT model is trained to refuse inappropriate requests, but it sometimes responds to harmful instructions or queries.
- Some users managed to bypass the content policy and generate harmful instructions with the help of prompt engineering.
- ChatGPT provides users with information prior to 2021.
15. ChatGPT vs Google
Despite ChatGPT being new to the world of AI and tech, it is considered to be an issue for Google’s search engine.
Many experts believe that ChatGPT can affect Google’s search engine business immensely.
Google has released code red in response to the growth of ChatGPT.
The data generated by ChatGPT is mostly prior to the year 2021 and is derived from various sites on the internet. If the content and the blogs generated by ChatGPT are posted on the internet, it will cause harm to the authenticity of the data. Google focuses on users’ search intent and the authenticity of the data provided by the content.
ChatGPT is not efficient enough to generate authentic and trustworthy data. Many users of ChatGPT reported that it generated non-sensical data and was plausible. We have also done a detailed ChatGPT vs Google comparison to help you differentiate between the two.
16. Feedback Received For Chat GPT.
ChatGPT has created a storm on the internet. It received various positive and negative feedback from its users. In the following section, we have compiled feedback about ChatGPT from the top resources.
- The New York Times in December 2022 labeled ChatGPT as the best artificial intelligence chatbot that has ever been released to the general public.
- The writer from “The Guardian ” reported that the chatbot could generate content and text that was impressively detailed and human-like.
- In The Atlantic’s “Breakthroughs of the Year” for 2022, Derek Thompson included ChatGPT in the part of the content “The Generative-AI eruption” stated that the technology might change our minds about how we work, impact how we think, and affect human creativity ”.
- In a tweet, Elon Musk stated that ChatGPT is scary good. He further added that humanity is not far from dangerously strong AI
- In December 2022, economist Paul Krugman expressed a fear that ChatGPT would affect the demand and employment of knowledge workers.
- When CNBC asked ChatGPT to generate the lyrics of “The Ballad of Dwight Fry”, it provided them with invented lyrics rather than the actual ones.
- Stack Overflow banned the use of ChatGPT in December 2022. It was due to the citation of the factually ambiguous nature of responses generated by ChatGPT.
- Ax Sharma of Bleeping Computer reported that ChatGPT could write malware and phishing emails.
- Sam Altman, CEO of ChatGPT and the creator of OpenAI, stated that “The advancing software could pose a huge cybersecurity risk”.
17. Open AI Statistics
OpenAI is the parent company of ChatGPT. In the year 2022, OpenAI launched ChatGPT, a chatbot that drove the attention of the internet. Let us take a look at some facts and figures related to Open AI.
- OpenAI is led by CEO Sam Altman.
- The company is backed by Microsoft, Khosla Ventures and LinkedIn co-founder Reid Hoffman.
- OpenAI was founded by Elon Musk, Greg Brockman, Sam Altman, Ilya Sutskever, and John Schulman in the year 2015.
- OpenAI was reportedly valued at $20 billion in the secondary share sale.
- The organization expects $200 million in revenue by the year 2023.
- By the end of the year 2024, OpenAI expects its revenue to increase to $1 billion.
- There are more than 100 employees in the company.
- OpenAI charges approximately 2 cents to create an image from a written prompt.
- The company charges around a penny or a little more to generate 2,000 words of content from the developers that have licensed their technology.
- Open AI is backed by companies like Microsoft, Khosla Ventures, and Infosys.
- In the year 2019, OpenAI transformed from non-profit to “capped” for-profit. They set the profit cap to generate 100X on any investment.
- In the year 2020, OpenAI launched GPT-3. It is a language model trained using trillions of words available on the internet.
- In the year 2021, the company introduced DALL-E. The software generates realistic images with the help of the data provided.
- OpenAI has 21 million monthly visitors as of December 2022.
- OpenAI became the 1441st most popular site in the world, as reported in December 2022.
- 21% of the traffic on the site comes from the US.
- 43.63% of OpenAI’s traffic is from searches, while 48.98% of it is from direct links.
- 46.55% of the social traffic of OpenAI is from YouTube, while 18.39% is from Twitter.
Wrapping Up: ChatGPT Statistics (2023)
That’s all about ChatGPT.
With the growing influence of AI and the dominance of human-like bots, ChatGPT certainly has a long way to go. OpenAI is working on making the model better and clearing the limitations of the model.
We hope that in the future, we will be able to see a better and error-free model of ChatGPT as OpenAI is constantly updating it. With the recent update, the embedding model of ChatGPT was found to function better.
If you have enjoyed reading the above article, you can check out our website for the latest updates.