We all witnessed how significant 2020 was for the podcasting industry, The addition of podcasters, listeners, and marketers were staggering! Podcasting’s ascend as a popular media continued in 2021, gathering 383.7 million listeners worldwide.
We are already in the second quarter of 2022 and it’s important to keep track of the podcast industry’s progress. This understanding of 2022 podcast statistics will aid you in making informed decisions as a podcaster or a marketer in this year and ahead.
Take a look at some of the most interesting podcasting statistics as of 2022 that we have compiled based on the most recent industry figures.
Podcast Statistics 2022 Highlights
Here is the list of key podcast statistics in brief.
- There are 383.7 million podcast listeners globally.
- It is predicted that there will be around 424 million podcast listeners worldwide by the end of 2022.
- As of June 2022, there are over 2.4 million podcasts with over 66 million episodes between them.
- The United States has the most podcast listeners. It is predicted that there are over 100 million active podcast listeners in the US.
- Scandinavian countries have the highest podcast penetration rate.
- One-third of the American Population listens to podcasts regularly
- Smart speaker sales increased by 22% during the pandemic, and it is one the most popular channel to listen to podcasts.
- 78% of the US population is aware of podcasts. Out of which, 28% listen to podcasts weekly.
- 160 million US citizens have listened to podcasts at least once.
- 91% of Australian people are aware of podcasts.
In-depth Podcast Statistics
Now that we have seen stats in brief already, let us give you a closer look at the podcast scene in this section.
12. Number of Podcasts
there are currently over 2.4 million podcasts with over 66 million episodes between them.
13. The number of Podcast Listeners
There are 383.7 million podcast listeners globally as of June 2022.
It is predicted that there will be around 424 million podcast listeners worldwide by the end of 2022.
The number of podcast listeners is predicted to reach 464.7 million by the end of 2023 and 504.9 million by 2024.
14. Podcasts are Growing Fastest in These Nations
From Voxnest’s study,
These are the Nations that are growing fast in the podcasting scene
|Nation||% of growth|
15. Podcasting Industry will be worth $4 billion in the future.
Currently sitting around $2 billion, the podcasting industry will be worth $4 billion in 2024.
16. 78% of Americans are aware of podcasting
Back in 2006 only 20% of the American population was aware of podcasts. Now 16 years later the number has reached to 78%. If you think bout it, it is huge.
17. Swedish People Listen to Podcasts the Most
47% of Swedish people claim that they have listened to at least one podcast in the previous year.
18. 91% of Australians know about podcasts
As per a study by infinite dial, 91% of Australians who are above the age of 12 are aware of podcasts.
19. 162 Million US Citizens Have Listened To a Podcast
As per an infinite dial study, more than 162 million US citizens have listened to a podcast at least once in their life.
When an identical survey was carried out back in 2006 the number was a mere 11 million.
20. US Monthly and Weekly Listeners
41% of people in the USA tune into a podcast every month and 28% do it weekly.
As per a report by Insider Intelligence, around 144 million people in the US will be listening to a podcast every month.
21. 22% of people listen to a podcast while driving
As per an infinite dial report, 22% of people tune into a podcast episode while they are commuting.
22. The smartphone is the most popular device to stream a podcast
79% of people in the USA listen to a podcast from their smartphones.
It is no wonder as Around 280 million Americans access the internet via a smartphone.
1/4th of all Podcast listeners tune in via a web browser. only 6% of people use a tablet to listen to a podcast.
23. Most Popular Apps to listen to Podcasts
As per a buzzsprout report, Apple Podcasts is the leader in podcast streaming.
Spotify had recently surpassed Apple in the leaderboard but Apple has come back to regain the top spot.
Here is the overview of top Podcast streaming apps.
|Platform||Share in Market|
24. Podcast is Most Popular among people aged 12-34
As per the Infinite Dial report 2022, 50% of people between the age of 12 to 34 listen to podcasts every month.
25. Weekly Listeners average 8 podcast episodes
An average weekly US podcast listener listens to 8 episodes.
26. Podcast ranking and Listeners
Buzzsprout did a study in which they revealed that the top 1% of the podcasts get an average of 3994+ downloads in the first 7 days of release.
Here is the overview of podcast ranks and the Average no. of downloads in the first 7 days of release.
- Top 1% of Podcasts get more than 3994 downloads.
- Top 5% of Podcasts get more than 795 downloads.
- Top 10% of Podcasts get more than 335 downloads.
- Top 25% of Podcasts get more than 93 downloads.
- Top 50% of Podcasts get more than 30 downloads.
27. Video Podcasts
A study done by the podcast host revealed that just 17% of podcast hosts record their episodes in video format as well.
The survey also revealed that Just 10% of Podcasters go live.
28. Advertisements from podcasts have been introduced 69% of listeners are to new products
A study done by the podcast host reveals that 69% percent of listeners claim to have been exposed to new brands and products as a result of ads from a podcast.
29. Podcasts on the top two listening platforms
As of June 2022, Spotify has 4 million podcast titles in its library.
As for Apple podcasts, the number stands at 2,456,503.
Top Podcasts on Spotify
Here is the region-wise list of top Spotify podcasts
- Top 5 POdcasts in the USA
- The Joe Rogan Experience
- Crime Junkie
- MrBallen Podcast: strange, dark, and mysterious stories
- Anything Goes with Emma Chamberlain
- Top 5 POdcasts in Australia
- Sit with Us
- The Joe Rogan Experience
- The Teacher’s Trial
- Liar, Liar: Mellisa Caddick and the missing millions
- Sushi Mango Saucy Meatballs Podcast
- Top 5 POdcasts in the United Kingdom
- The Fellas
- Saving Grace
- The Joe Rogan Experience
- Sit With Us
- That Peter Crouch Podcast
30. Most Popular Podcast Genres
As per Statista, Comedy is the most popular podcast genre in the US.
Here is the list,
- Social and Cultural
- Health and Fitness
- Arts & Entertainment.
But this study is from 2020 and the trends have changed, although there is no official study yet on the most popular podcast genres as of 2022, here is my personal list!
I made this list after studying all the top 5 podcasts across each region
- True Crimes.
- Social and Cultural
- Business (Motivation/entrepreneurship, etc)
31. Popular Podcast Genres in the UK.
Statista found out that people in the UK aged 25 to 34 loved Comical podcasts.
22% of the respondents voted for Comedy and 10% voted for Football, which was the second most popular podcast genre in the UK.
32. International podcast Statistics
- Apple podcasts is the #1 choice of french podcast listeners. Deezer, a home-grown podcast listening platform ranks second in France with 7% votes.
- La Corenta was the most downloaded podcast in Latin America as of Q1 2022 with 1.66 million downloads every week.
- Here is the overview of the top 3 downloaded podcasts in Latin America
|Podcast Name||Number of downloads|
|La Crenta||1.66 million|
- Around 58% of South Korean adults tune into a podcast monthly
- More than 9 million Canadian adults are monthly podcast listeners
- 24% listeners in Denmark tune in every week.
33. Podcast Duration Statistics
Majority of podcasts are 20-40 minutes long. Only 15% of podcasts are under the 10-minute mark.
Here is an overview of the average duration of podcasts
|Podcast Duration||Share of Episodes|
|Under 10 minutes||15%|
|10 to 20 minutes||15%|
|20 to 40 minutes||30%|
|40 to 60 minutes||21%|
Bonus Podcast Statistics
Here is a list of additional interesting and important statistics associated with Podcasting.
34.) More people (18%) are listening to podcasts in 2022 than they did eight years ago
35.) People prefer to listen to podcasts between 10:00 to 15:00. Podcast listening peaks from 08:15 to 08:30 a.m.
36.) households with $100,000 to $150,000 income account for about 17% of the total monthly podcast listeners in the USA.
37.) 51% of monthly podcast listeners have a full-time job while 25% have a college degree.
38.) 59% of people tune into a podcast while doing something else simultaneously.
39.) 21.7% of podcast listeners are subscribed to over 70 podcasts.
Sources: Semrush, Statista, Edison Research, The podcast host.
Conclusion: Podcast Statistics (2022)
This is our take on podcast statistics as of June 2022. The podcast scene is booming recently. Especially after the pandemic, the industry really took off. This is the set of most up-to-date figures. We will update this space as more studies keep coming.
If you have other interesting statistics that we missed please let us know in the comments, we would love to add them to the blog.