When Disney plus launched in 2019, 10 million users joined the platform on the first day itself. After a couple of years, Disney+ has established itself as a serious contender in the famed stream wars between Netflix and Amazon, two of the most established streaming services.
The streaming service caters to a wide range of audiences, including families, adults, and sports fans. The number of users on the platform is growing exponentially. Today, Disney+ has 161.8 million users worldwide.
As Disney+ gains global attraction, Many marketers are looking for figures associated with it. If you are one of them, your search ends here. We have gone through all the facts and figures related to Disney plus and compiled them in this post. You will find up-to-date information related to Disney+’s user count, and much more as of 2023.
So let’s get into it, shall we?
Disney+ Statistics 2023 (Top 10 Picks)
- Disney+ has 161.8 million subscribers globally as of March 2023. That is a drop of 2.4 million subscribers from the previous quarter.
- Disney Plus’ Average Monthly Revenue Per Paid Subscriber is $3.93 as of Q1 2023.
- Since its release, Disney+ has been downloaded over 200 million times.
- Disney+ is expected to overtake Netflix as the most popular SVOD service in the globe by 2026.
- In the summer of 2022, Disney+ launched in a total of 42 countries and 11 regions across Europe, the Middle East & Africa.
- Disney+ Projects to have 230-260 million users by 2024 and around 290 million by 2026.
- Disney+ registered a revenue of $1.926 billion as of the fourth quarter of 2022. This brings Disney Plus’s yearly revenue to $7.423 billion in 2022.
- Disney Plus has 2,012 movies and TV Shows available on the platform globally.
Disney+ User Statistics
How Many People Have Disney Plus In 2023
Disney+ has 161.8 million subscribers across 108 countries as of Q1 2023.
Disney+ witnessed a drop of 2.4 million subscribers from the previous quarter. Disney+ subscribers dropped for the first time since its launch in 2019.
- In 2022, Disney plus attracted 46.1 million customers.
- 10 million users joined the platform on the launch day itself (12th November 2019)
Here is a table showing the quarterly breakdown of Disney+ subscribers:
|Time||Disney Plus Subscribers|
|Q4 2019||10 Million|
|Q1 2020||26.5 Million|
|Q2 2020||33.5 Million|
|Q3 2020||60.5 Million|
|Q4 2020||73.7 Million|
|Q1 2021||94.9 Million|
|Q2 2021||103.6 Million|
|Q3 2021||116 Million|
|Q4 2021||118.1 Million|
|Q1 2022||129.8 Million|
|Q2 2022||137.7 Million|
|Q3 2022||152.1 Million|
|Q4 2022||164.2 Million|
|Q1 2023||161.8 Million|
Here is a table showing Disney Plus’s Annual Subscribers Growth:
|2023 (As of Q1)||161.8 million|
Disney+ ARPU Statistics
Disney Plus earns $3.93 US dollars per paying subscriber each month as of Q1 2023.
Disney Plus’ average ARPU was $4.25 for the complete 2022.
This mostly has to do with the Disney+ expansion since 2019. Pricing in certain areas is much lower than in the United States or Western Europe.
Here is a table showing Disney Plus’ quarterly ARPU:
|Date||Average Revenue Per User|
|Quarter 1 2020||$5.56|
|Quarter 2 2020||$5.63|
|Quarter 3 2020||$4.62|
|Quarter 4 2020||$4.52|
|Quarter 1 2021||$4.03|
|Quarter 2 2021||$3.99|
|Quarter 3 2021||$4.16|
|Quarter 4 2021||$4.12|
|Quarter 1 2022||$4.41|
|Quarter 2 2022||$4.35|
|Quarter 3 2022||$4.35|
|Quarter 4 2022||$3.91|
|Quarter 1 2023||$3.93|
Disney+ Subscriber Retention Rate Statistics
78% of Disney+ Bundle users keep their subscriptions after the 6 months mark.
- These figures make Disney+ the streaming service with the most retention rate beating the likes of Netflix, Hulu, Youtube Tv, etc.
The above Numbers were for the Disney+ Bundle plan.
If we talk about the basic Disney+ Plan, then, After six months, 74% of monthly Disney+ users (those who don’t have access to Hulu or ESPN+) continue to pay for the service.
Disney+ Monthly v/s Disney+ Annual subscription
A yearly subscription of $79.99 is chosen by 20% of new Disney+ customers.
The remaining 80% of new signups choose monthly pricing, which costs $7.99.
- The percentage of customers who choose yearly paying has risen recently.
Below is the overview of Share of people choosing Monthly and Annual plans:
|Date||Monthly Plan||Annual Plan|
- A less expensive, ad-supported edition of Disney Plus is also on the way. It is expected to launch in the United States later in 2022, followed by an international rollout in 2023. The price of it is not known as of now
Disney+ Share in SVOD signups (USA)
In December 2022, Disney+ accounted for 25% of all new SVOD signups (including free trials).
To put things into perspective, we have put down the USA SVOD sign-ups since July 2020.
|Date||Market share of signups|
Disney+ Market Share of SVOD Subscriptions (USA)
Disney+ accounts for 15% of SVOD subscribers in the United States as of December 2022.
Below is the breakdown of Disney+’s market share of SVOD subscriptions in the U.S.A.
|Date||Share of US subscriptions|
|Quarter 4 2019||15%|
|Quarter 1 2020||16%|
|Quarter 2 2020||17%|
|Quarter 3 2020||17%|
|Quarter 4 2020||18%|
|Quarter 4 2022||15%|
Disney+ Demographics – Gender Distribution
Males make up 55%, and Females make up the remaining 45% of Disney+ Subscribers in the United States.
Below is the table showing the distribution of Disney plus users based on their genders:
|Gender||Share of users|
Disney+ Users as per their Age
In the United States, 45% of Disney+ users are below the age of 18.
- People aged 18 to 34 make up 25% of the Disney+ user base.
- People aged 35 to 54 make up 24% of the Disney+ user base.
- 8% of Disney+ users are above the age of 55.
Below is the overview of Disney+ users according to their age
|Age||Share of Users|
Disney+ users based on location
- 45% of Disney+ users come from suburban areas. And 38% come from Urban areas.
- Disney+ has 20% of users coming from rural areas.
- If we combine the population of the USSR from Urban and Suburban areas, It adds up to 80%
Here is the breakdown of Disney+ users as per their location of stay
|Area||Share of Users|
Disney+ Racial Demographics
In this section, we talk about Disney+ users based on their race.
In the United States, Most of the Disney+ users are white, accounting for 62%
- It is also worth noting that, among all of its major rivals, Disney+ has the biggest proportion of non-white users.
We have made a table showing Disney+ users based on their race to help you understand things more clearly.
|Race||Share of Users|
|Asian & other races or ethnicities||5%|
Disney+ Revenue Statistics
Disney+ made a revenue of $7.423 Billion in 2022. That is 2.13 billion more than past year.
In 2021, Disney Plus registered a revenue of $5.293 billion.
As Disney+ strives for market dominance in the worldwide streaming industry, It is solidly in the investment phase.
Below is the breakdown of Disney+ Quarterly Revenue until Q4 of 2022:
|Quarter 1 2020||$442 million|
|Quarter 2 2020||$565 million|
|Quarter 3 2020||$796 million|
|Quarter 4 2020||$999 million|
|Quarter 1 2021||$1.147 billion|
|Quarter 2 2021||$1.240 billion|
|Quarter 3 2021||$1.447 billion|
|Quarter 4 2021||$1.459 billion|
|Quarter 1 2022||$1.717 billion|
|Quarter 2 2022||$1.796 billion|
|Quarter 3 2022||$1.984 billion|
|Quarter 4 2022||$1.926 billion|
Here is a breakdown of Disney Plus’s annual revenue:
Disney+ Content Library
How Many Titles Does Disney+ have
According to Statista, Disney+ currently has around 7,000 television episodes and 500 films in its library.
Disney+ Download statistics (US)
When Disney+ launched in 2019, it was downloaded 28.7 million times. Since then, the downloads have gone down.
In Quarter 4 of 2022, The app recorded 8.50 Million Downloads in the United States.
Below is the breakdown for Disney+ Downloads in the United States from 2019 to 2022:
|Quarter 4 2019||28.7 Million|
|Quarter 1 2020||14.11 Million|
|Quarter 2 2020||9.3 Million|
|Quarter 3 2020||9.1 Million|
|Quarter 4 2020||9.8 Million|
|Quarter 1 2021||8.83 Million|
|Quarter 2 2021||7.67 Million|
|Quarter 3 2021||8.9 Million|
|Quarter 4 2021||7.9 Million|
|Quarter 1 2022||9.66 Million|
|Quarter 2 2022||8.51 Million|
|Quarter 3 2022||8.33 Million|
|Quarter 4 2022||8.50 Million|
Globally speaking, The Android app of Disney+ has over 1 Billion downloads on the Google play store.
Disney+ v/s Netflix in terms of Subscribers
Disney+ is proving to be a tough competition to Netflix. The Growth in the number of Users is gaining traction for Disney+.
Many Experts claim that Disney+ will overtake Netflix in terms of the number of Users by 2028.
Although Netflix will add 60 million new subscribers between 2021 & 2027, The rate at which Disney+ users are growing, it will dethrone Netflix to become the king of SVODs globally.
Below, we have compared the growth of Netflix and Disney+ users from Q4 of 2019 (When Disney+ was launched)
|Time||Netflix Users||Disney+ Users|
|Quarter 4 2019||167 million||10 million|
|Quarter 1 2020||182.8 million||26.6 million|
|Quarter 2 2020||192.9 million||33.5 million|
|Quarter 3 2020||195.1 million||57.5 million|
|Quarter 4 2020||203.6 million||73.3 million|
|Quarter 1 2021||207.6 million||94.9 million|
|Quarter 2 2021||209 million||103.6 million|
|Quarter 3 2021||214 million||116 million|
|Quarter 4 2021||222.2 million||118.1 million|
|Quarter 1 2022||222 million||129.8 million|
|Quarter 2 2022||220.6 million||137.7 million|
|Quarter 3 2022||223 million||152.1 million|
|Quarter 4 2022||230.75 million||164.2 million|
Income of Disney+ Users (USA)
As per Backlinko
- 43% of Disney+ users from the USA earn less than $50,000
- 77% of Disney+ users based in the US earn less than $100k annually.
Below is the breakdown of Disney+ users based on their income.
|Annual income||Share of Users|
|Less than $50,000||43%|
|$50,000 – $100,000||34%|
|More than $100,000||23%|
Future of Disney+
Disney+ achieved its 5-year goals in just a few months after launch. That’s a huge win for Disney+, and it bodes well for the future of the service.
- By 2024, Disney+ is estimated to have 260 Million subscribers.
- As of now, Disney is not making any profit. But once it reaches its mark of 260 Million Subscribers in 2024, it will start making a profit.
- Between 2021 and 2027, Disney+ is expected to attract 146 million new customers, bringing its total to 276 million.
- In 2027, roughly 106 million Disney+ members will be from 13 different Asian countries covered by the Disney+ Hotstar label.
- Disney+ aims to spend $33 billion on content building, an increase of $8 billion from 2021.
Other Interesting Facts and Statistics related to Disney+
- With the pricing of $7.99/month and $79.99/year, Disney+ is one of the cheapest SVOD services globally.
- Disney+ brand itself as Disney+ Hotstar in India and Some other Aisian Regions.
- Disney+ Hotstar is India’s largest premium streaming service.
- Disney+ Hotstar has 45 Million Users as of January 2022
- Disney+ was the most downloaded application on both the Google and Apple app store in 2019.
- Disney+ is also available as part of a Disney Bundle deal. It combines Three streaming services (Disney+, Hulu and ESPN) to provide the complete package of Family entertainment.
- All of Disney Studios’ blockbusters are available to view on Disney+, which have grossed over $11 billion at the box office globally.
- Disney has acquired Marvel, 20th Century Fox & Pixar. That makes Disney Plus the only streaming service that has access to the entire content from Star Wars and Marvel Franchise.
- Parent company of Disney+, The Walt Disney Company ranks 5th on Fortune’s World’s most admired companies.
Conclusion: Disney Users 2023
With this, we come to the end of the Disney+ statistics as of January 2023. The future of Disney+ looks very promising. The fact that the streaming service achieved its 5 years’ worth of goals in just a few months is enough to back our statement.
We have covered statistics for more such platforms. Check them as well if you would like to.