From binge-watching TV series to going on a movie marathon, we all have had our share of Netflix at one point of time. Now, most people know Netflix as a huge database of Movies and Series; however, before becoming the media behemoth that it is today, it began as a modest online DVD rental company. As of today, Netflix is one of the world’s most valuable corporations.
Learn vital information about Netflix’s financials, user demographics, and various different things in this statistical article specially dedicated to the streaming service. There is something for everyone. Are you someone from the television and film sector? We will tell you about the kind of content that Netflix viewers enjoy. Are you an investor looking for an investment opportunity? We will give you an insight of how the firm is performing by looking at its revenue reports. Or you’re just a nerd who is here to know more about the platform, you’re in for a treat as well.
Let’s get into it right away.
Here is a brief overview of Netflix.
|Date of launch||29 August 1997.|
15 January 2007 (streaming service launched) .
|Minds behind Netflix||Reed Hastings (co-CEO, founder), |
Ted Sarandos (co-CEO, chief content officer),
Greg Peters (COO, CPO)
Netflix Statistics at a Glance
- Netflix subscriber count as of 2022 is 221.64 million.
- Netflix made $29.698 billion in revenue in 2021.
- In the United States, Netflix has around 6,000 titles in its catalog.
- Around 65% of Netflix consumers are from outside of the United States of America & Canada
- Netflix customers spend 3.2 hours each day on average consuming content.
- In June 2021, the Netflix mobile app for Android and iOS was downloaded by more than 16 mil. times.
- Netflix owned 80% of the most popular original shows in the United States in 2020.
- Netflix is preferred by 47% of Americans over other streaming platforms.
- Based on users’ viewing habits, Netflix has created 1,300 recommendation clusters.
- Netflix is responsible for 8% of all video viewing time globally.
- Netflix lost 200K paying subscriptions worldwide in Q1 2022.
- Netflix lost 0.7 million subscribers due to the shutdown of service in Russia due to the ongoing war.
Netflix Statistics in Depth
In this section, we will discuss the statistics associated with netflix in a detailed manner.
Netflix Subscribers 2022
Netflix has 221.64 Million Subscribers as of 2022
- Netflix’s Subscribers count has taken a hit in 2022 (Statista)
Netflix’s Subscriber growth in 2022 hasn’t been great. The company had predicted that it will add 2.5 million subscribers in the Q1 of 2022 but instead, it has lost around 200,000 subscribers.
- Netflix lost worldwide streaming subscribers In the second quarter of 2022 for the first time since the third Quarter of 2011.
The interruption of service in Russia accounted for a loss of 0.7 million subscribers.
Nonetheless, there are still 2 million lost subscribers other than that.
Below is an overview of Netflix’s paid subscriber count since 2011.
|2022 (April)||221.64 million (Drop from 221.84)|
- Netflix estimates to lose another 2 Million subscribers by Q2 of 2022 (Reuters)
Netflix Inc reported that inflation, the conflict between Russia and Ukraine, and tough competition has led to their recent subscribers loss. The streaming giant forecasts even more losses in the future. It is estimated that Netflix will lose another 2 million subscribers in Q2 2022.
- Majority of User gains from last year came mostly from outside North America (NDTV)
According to Netflix, the majority of the 8.3 million new memberships gained at the end of last year came from outside North America.
- Netflix is preferred by 47% of Americans over other streaming platforms. (News 10)
Amazon Prime Video comes in second with 14%, followed by Hulu with 13.6% and Disney+ with 13%
- The United States of America and Canada are the world’s largest Netflix markets.
As of Q1 2022, the United States and Canada have the highest number of paying customers. They gather around 74.6 million Netflix customers between them.
With 73.7 million members, Europe, Africa and the Middle East are in second position.
With 39.6 million members, Latin America ranks third.
In the Asia Pacific area, the streaming behemoth boasts 33.7 million subscribers.
- USA has the biggest Netflix Library
Netflix has around 6,000 titles in its USA library.
Netflix’s video library is constantly changing. Other countries have large collections as well, but the United States continues to be the largest. Netflix subscribers will never be bored with their viewing options.
We are also covering the most watched shows in various regions later in the post.
- Around 27% of Netflix subscribers in the United States share their account with family members. (Compari Tech)
Another 18% share it with their friends, while 9% share it with relatives from another home. 47.5% of users refuse to reveal their passwords.
People viewing netflix without paying is around 41%
Did You Know? Netflix is planning to monetize password sharing in 2022.
Netflix’s CEO, Reed Hastings sees great potential for revenue generation in households which share passwords among them.
- 4 days worth of commercials were saved on average by Netflix Viewers. (Kill the cable bill)
An average person consuming Netflix in 2021, have spared themselves 58 hours of advertisements. A typical hour of network television features 18 minutes of ads on average. Commercials are not an issue for Netflix viewers who binge-watch.
- Netflix Revenue Statistics (Statista)
Netflix’s overall income in 2021 is around $30 billion (29.698 to be precise). This is up from 1.67 billion dollars a decade earlier. The company’s net income in 2021 was $5.16 billion, with a total workforce of 11,300 people globally.
Netflix’s annual income has risen steadily in recent years.
Here is an overview of the same
- Netflix Revenue per user (Statista, Netflix)
Netflix’s average monthly income per paying user globally is $10.86 as of Q2 2021 (Latest Data Available).
Since 2016, there has been a 26.13% growth.
Below is the table showing Netflix’s average monthly revenue per membership:
|Year||Average Revenue Per user (in $$)|
|2021 (Quarter 1 & Quarter 2)||10.86|
- Netflix regional wise Revenue per member
- USA & Canada
The average revenue per user of Netflix in the United States of America and Canada is $14.91 as of Q1 2022, which is over 90% more than the Latin American average.
Below is the overview of the same:
|Year||Average Revenue per user(in $$)|
|2021 (Quarter 1 & Quarter 2)||14.40|
|2022 (Quarter 1)||14.91|
- Europe, Africa & Middle East
Netflix’s average revenue per user in Europe, Africa & Middle East is $11.56 as of Q1 2022
It is around 18% less than North America (USA & Canada)
|Year||Average Revenue per user(in $$)|
|2021 (Q1 & Q2)||11.61|
- Latin America
Latin America has the lowest average revenue per user at $8.37 as of Q2 2021.
|Year||Average Revenue per user(in $$)|
|2021 (Q1 & Q2)||7.45|
- Asia Pacific
Netflix’s average revenue per user in Asia Pacific region is $9.21 as of Q1 2022
|Year||Average Revenue per user(in $$)|
|2021 (Q1 & Q2)||9.70|
- Netflix has spent $17 billion on original shows in 2021 (Variety)
Netflix spent almost $17 billion on original shows in 2021.
Customers love Netflix’s original shows, which account for a large portion of the company’s net profits. Netflix prioritizes content in order to provide a diverse range of alternatives to its consumers.
Here is an overview of the Most popular Netflix original TV Series of all time.
|Series Title||Hours watched (in the first 28 days of release)|
|Bridgerton (Season 2)||627 million|
|Bridgerton (Season 1)||625 million|
|Stranger Things: Season 3||582 million|
|The Witcher (Season 1)||541 million|
|Inventing Anna: Limited Series||511 million|
|13 Reasons Why (Season 2)||496 million|
|The Witcher: Season 2||484 million|
|13 Reasons Why (Season 1)||476 million|
|Maid: Limited Series||469 million|
|You (Season 3)||467 million|
Here is an overview of the Most popular Netflix original Movies of all time.
|Movie Title||Hours Watched(in first 28 days of release)|
|Red Notice (2021)||364 million|
|Don’t Look Up (2021)||360 million|
|Bird Box (2018)||282 million|
|The Adam Project (2022)||233 million|
|Extraction (2020)||231 million|
|The Unforgivable (2021)||215 million|
|The Irishman (2019)||215 million|
|The Kissing Booth 2 (2020)||209 million|
|6 Underground (2019)||205 million|
|Spenser Confidential (2020)||197 million|
- Netflix has over 15,200 full-time employees as of 2022 (LinkedIN)
Netflix has 15,200 full-time employees in 2022 as per their LinkedIn profile data.
- Netflix has an equal number of male and female employees globally as of 2021. (statista)
Employees were reported to be 47.9% female and 43.8 percent male, with 1.3% having multiple gender identities.
The company’s greatest gender gap is in IT, where 59% of employees are male.
Although, women outnumber males in the company’s Creative & Corporate section.
- 70% of Hispanic Americans have an Active Netflix subscription (Statista)
As per a study conducted in 2021 in the United States, Hispanic Americans were the most likely to have an active Netflix membership, with 70% claiming to have one.
Only 61% of white respondents have an active subscription.
- Two out of every five Netflix members use a VPN to view the service.
Netflix does not grant all users access to all of its content.
As a result, some movies and series are restricted to individuals in specific geographic areas.
Many Netflix customers use various VPN services to bypass this restriction.
- Netflix is available in 190 countries. (Wikipedia, MyDigital.io)
Netflix began expanding internationally in 2010.
The number might just be 189 as Netflix recently withdrew from Russia due to their invasion of Ukraine.
Some nations, including North Korea, Syria, and Crimea (which is in the headlines these days due to the ongoing Russia Ukraine war) do not support Netflix. US sanctions ban the corporation from operating in the these countries
Meanwhile, Netflix’s development in China is hampered by Beijing’s censorship and tight local competition restrictions.
- Women make up 52% of Netflix’s users. (Morning Consult)
Women make 52% and Men 48% of Total Netflix Users.
The average Netflix subscriber is a millennial with a yearly income of less than $50,000.
Although 68% of Netflix members have some or no college education, roughly 33% have a bachelor’s degree or above.
- Millennials use Netflix the most. Netflix users by Generation (Morning Consult)
Netflix appeals to a wide range of viewers.
Below is the table to show the distribution of Netflix users based on Generation.
|Generation||% of users|
- Netflix has over 100 secret codes to make search for a particular category easier. (Radiotimes)
Because it’s impossible to include every category on the front page, Netflix has created an Easter egg hunt for their subscribers. As of 2022, you’ll need to utilize a special genre code to watch silent films, classic comedies, or Anime Netflix movies or Tv shows.
All you have to do is log into your Netflix account and enter:
Just, instead of ####, enter the secret netflix code. You can find them on google.
- On average, binge-watching a Netflix series takes 5 days. (CreditDonkey)
Although it’s an “average” figure, it’s still crazy. Now here is one more crazy stat,
There are some binge-watchers who attempt to complete a series within the first 24 hours of its debut. There are around 8.4 million of these binge-watchers globally.
- An average Netflix subscriber views 60 films every year. (Much Needed)
This works out to one movie every six days.
- Netflix Users by the community in the USA (Morning Consult)
|Community||% of users|
This shows that most Netflix users in the US are from the suburbs
- Political affiliation of Netflix subscribers in USA (Morning Consult)
42% of Netflix customers in the United States identify as Democrats. 33% of people consider themselves to be Independents. While 25% declare themselves to be Republicans.
- Around 80% of Netflix subscribers follow it’s algorithm’s title suggestions. (business insider)
While viewers frequently land on the most popular titles, the greater part of Netflix users also choose to watch shows recommended by the Netflix recommendation algorithm; in fact, the service’s suggestions accounted for 80 % of Netflix views.
- As most people have several subscriptions, Netflix is used by roughly 44% of streaming service customers. (eMarketer)
Despite the fact that Netflix accounts for about 19% of streaming service subscriptions, the majority of users have a Netflix account. Netflix is subscribed to by 44 % globally who have one or more subscription services.
- A Netflix user watched the Madagascar movie 352 times in 2017 (Netflix)
This is my favorite Netflix stat ever and that is why I saved it for last.
Netflix revealed in the final week of November 2017 that a user has viewed “Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted” 352 times. CRAZY! Whoever that person may be, they are an absolute legend.
The only information we have on them is that they are Australian.
Conclusion: Netflix Subscribers 
So there you have it, all the updated Netflix statistics in one place. It’s a money-making machine based on your viewing habits.
Netflix appears to be safe based on these figures. Its membership growth had been tremendous until the start of 2022, things are looking rough for the company but they will surely have some plan of action to tackle this issue.
Now that you know all about Netflix, It is up to you what you do with this information. We keep updating our space with such content. Keep visiting if you want more. If you want us to cover statistics for your favorite brand or business, let us know in the comments.