Since the year 2018, every day, approximately 900,000 people have gone online for the first time. In 2023, there are more than 5.3 billion active Internet users around the globe, accounting for 65.4% of the global population
China has the highest number of internet users, with 1.05 billion, followed by India, with 729 million, and the United States, with 311 million.
This growth is driven by several factors, including the increasing affordability of smartphones and mobile data and the growing popularity of online services such as e-commerce, streaming video, and social media.
This post has some interesting insights on the number of internet users globally. Let us take a look at them below:
Internet User Statistics 2023 (At A Glance)
- There are 5.3 billion internet users in the world as of 2023, meaning over 65% of the world’s population has access to the internet.
- The number of internet users is expected to reach 6.54 billion by 2025.
- China has the highest number of internet users, with 1.05 billion, followed by India, with 836 million, and the United States, with 311 million.
- 92.1% of internet users primarily use smartphones to browse the internet.
- Northern Europe has the highest internet penetration rate in the world.
- The global reach of social media has grown to 4.74 billion people.
- On average, internet users spend 6 hours and 40 minutes online daily.
- 60% of the world’s web traffic is from mobile phone users.
- Over 2/3rd of global internet users use laptops and desktops for their online activities.
- The global internet usage penetration rate by gender is 67.4% for males and 61.7% for females.
Global Internet User Statistics
Let us explore more about how the past, current, and future of the number of internet users in this section.
- The global internet user base stands at 5.3 billion, as per the latest data.
Let’s take a look at the number of internet users over the years:
|Year||Number of Internet Users|
- Over 65% of the world’s population uses the Internet.
Here is a table showing the share of the global population using the Internet over the years:
|Year||Share of Global Population Using The Internet|
- It is expected that there will be 27.1 billion networked devices in 2023.
- Google Chrome (63.5%) has the largest share among browsers.
- Apple’s Safari owns 19.95% of the market share of browsers.
- Internet usage increased by 1355% from the beginning of the year 2000.
- Currently, there are 370.7 million domain names in the world.
- 45% of the websites prefer WordPress as their CMS, It accounts for over 38.359 million websites.
- 347.3 billion emails are exchanged every day in current times.
- The average speed of a website in the United States was found to be 5-6 seconds in every industry.
- It was reported that more than 1.5 million songs are streamed on the Spotify platform every minute.
- 93% of American adults are reported to use the internet.
Here is a table showing the number of US adults using the Internet over the years:
- In the year 2020, global internet traffic was reported to be 92 times greater than that in 2005.
- Every minute, Americans generate 3,138,420 GB of internet traffic.
- In 2021, 54.4% of the global traffic was reported to be generated from mobile devices compared to the year 2009, when only 0.7% of the traffic was generated from mobile devices.
Internet User Penetration Rate and Usage Statistics
Globally, more than half of the people have a connection to internet services. Here are a few stats related to global internet users that you must know.
- 98% of the population in Northern Europe had access to the internet and it ranked first among the regions for the highest internet penetration rate.
- Western Europe had an internet usage rate of 94%.
- The global internet users reached the 5 billion mark on July 2022.
- Asia has the largest internet base, with more than 2.7 billion internet users.
- Here is a table showing the penetration rate of the internet in different regions as of 2023:
|Region||Internet Penetration Rate|
- North Korea has no internet penetration and ranks last globally.
Source: Statista, Cisco
Internet User Demographics
Let us take a look at the statistics related to internet users’ demographics in this section.
- 67% of the world’s males and 62% of females use the internet as of 2023.
Here is a table showing the internet users based on gender:
Home Broadband Statistics
Many households worldwide prefer the home broadband connection as compared to mobile internet services
- There are over 1.4 billion fixed broadband subscriptions globally.
Here is a small table showing the number of fixed broadband subscriptions globally over the years
|Year||Fixed broadband subscriptions globally|
- As of 2023, the average download speed for mobile internet was 42.07 Mbps, while the average for upload speed was 10.33 Mbps.
If we talk about broadband, then the values change drastically. The average download speed is 80.12 Mbps and for uploads it is 35.13 Mbps.
- The Asia Pacific region has the most number of fixed broadband. The Americas and Europe make it to the second and third spot.
Here is a breakdown of world regions with the most number of fixed broadband:
|World region||Number of fixed broadband|
Most internet users prefer mobile to carry out searches and get updated. Smartphones are convenient to carry everywhere and provide an easy search method. Here are a few stats related to smartphone internet users around the globe.
- 58.33% of total traffic came from mobile devices worldwide.
- Smartphone app usage time in the United States has increased by 25% since 2019.
- Mobile devices drive 65% of e-commerce traffic.
- the average person spent 3.46 hours per day using the internet via their mobile device.
Here is a list of the most popular mobile activities:
- Social media (92%)
- Browsing the web (89%)
- Checking email (87%)
- Using messaging apps (86%)
- Streaming videos (85%)
- Playing games (84%)
Social media statistics
When it comes to internet usage, most of it is spent on social media sites. Here are some statistics that reflect the light on social media platforms and their usage as of 2023.
- There are 4.9 billion social media users globally. It is forecasted that this number will reach 5.85 billion by 2027
|Year||Number of Social Media Users|
- Whatsapp has 2.7 billion active users, while Youtube has 2.68 billion active users.
Here is a table representing the active users on different social media platforms:
|Social Media Platform||Number of Users|
|Facebook Messenger||988 million|
- Tiktok is the most downloaded social media app of recent times.
- Eastern Asia has the most social media users (26%) as of 2023.
- China, with 1,021.96 million users, is the country with the most social media users. India ranks second with 755.47 million, and the United States makes it to the third spot with 302.25 million users.
- A typical social media user interacts with 6.6 social media platforms.
Source: Cisco, Statista.
Videos are the most consumed digital media across all social media. So much that even platfroms like LinkedIn will have witnessed high video usage in revent times.
Let us take a look at some interesting facts associated with online videos in this section:
- online video is expected to account for 82.5% of all web traffic, making it the most popular type of content over the internet.
- 3.1 billion people consume videos on the internet every day.
- YouTube users watch 1 billion hours of video daily
- The short-form video provides the greatest ROI of any social media marketing tactic, according to a new HubSpot analysis of 2023 marketing trends.
- It was reported that 50% of users between the age of 18 and 34 would drop their current task and watch a video on a channel they just subscribed to.
- 50% of the people watch videos of the products and their demos before buying them.
- If a person watches more than 6 minutes of a video then it is likely that they will watch the whole video.
- 90% of the video view on Twitter are recorded through mobile.
- There is a 95% increase in the expenditure of video-based advertising.
Source: eMarketer, Statista
I’ve shed a light on internet user’s searching habits and trends in this section
- Google Search owns approximately 92% of the search engine market share.
- Google accounts for 96.17% of the global mobile search engine market worldwide.
- 8.5 billion searches take place on Google every single day. That converts to 99,000 searches per second.
- With mere 3% share, microsoft’s Bing comes at the second spot in search engine market share.
- 60% of the search market share in China is owned by Baidu.
- More than 1 billion voice searches take place every month.
- Google Lens is used for 8 billion visual searches per month.
Ecommerce is thriving, especially after the Covid-19 pandemic. Let us take a look at some insightful figures on the ecommerce market in this section.
- Mobile devices account for 70% of all visits to eCommerce sites.
- $3.4 trillion out of the $4.9 trillion online retail sales come from smartphones.
- Online purchases account for 75% of all repeat purchases.
- The Philippines and India lead the way for retail e-commerce sales growth.
Here is a table showing the countries with the most ecommerce sales growth:
|Country||Growth in retail e-commerce|
|United States of America||15.9%|
Source: Statista, Cisco, eMarketer.
- LinkedIn Statistics
- Podcast Statistics
- Telegram Statistics
- Affiliate Marketing Statistics
- Quora Statistics
- Chatbot Statistics
- Clubhouse Statistics
- Disney Users
The growth of the Internet has had a profound impact on societies and economies around the world. It has made it possible for people to connect with each other more easily, access information and resources more quickly, and conduct business more efficiently.
We hope we were able to solve most of your questions regarding Internet users in this post. I will keep updating the post as we get hands on updated data.