With over 3.03 billion monthly active users, Facebook is the world’s most popular social media platform. Facebook’s user base stands more than the population of the United States, Canada, and Mexico combined!
While Facebook shows no signs of slowing down, we have gathered all the latest facts and figures associated with the platform in this post.
We have covered Facebook’s demographics, finances, downloads, the usage of AI in the organization, and much more in this post.
Let us take you right to it:
Facebook Statistics 2023 (Top Picks)
- Facebook has 3.03 billion monthly active users In 2023.
- 2.064 billion users log in to Facebook every day. That means 68.11% of Facebook’s monthly active users are daily users.
- There are 243.5 million Facebook users in the United States. That is around 70% of the country’s total population.
- Marketers can potentially reach 2.11 billion Facebook users through advertising.
- Facebook’s average revenue per user (ARPU) is $10.63.
- The majority of Facebook users (416.6 million) are from India.
- 56.6% of Facebook users are male, and 43.4% are female.
- Over 30% of Facebook’s users belong to the 25 to 34 age group.
- Facebook’s official website gets around 17 billion visits each month on average.
- Facebook recently removed 1.3 billion fake accounts from the platform.
- Facebook registered a revenue of $116.6 billion in 2022.
How Many Users Does Facebook Have
Let us take a look at where Facebook stands in terms of MAUs and DAUs
- Facebook has 3.03 billion monthly active users as of 2023.
This means that 61.8% of all social media users also access Facebook.
The number of Facebook’s MAUs has grown significantly in the past decade. The only time the social media giant lost its user base was in Q4 2021, when it lost around 500,000 daily users worldwide.
Facebook has come a long way since then and setting new milestones every quarter.
Here is a table showing Facebook’s user growth over the years:
- The Number of Facebook’s daily active users stands at 2.064 billion
According to Meta’s latest investor event, the platform is going strong with over 2.064 billion DAUs.
9.78% of Facebook’s daily active users are based in the United States and Canada.
Facebook says that users have flocked to the platform for various reasons, majorly to catch up with friends and family. However, in recent times, there’s been a noticeable shift, with users increasingly turning to Facebook for entertainment, to uncover new interests, or to stay updated on global events.
- 68.11% of Facebook’s monthly active users are its daily users.
- 78.1% of Facebook users also use Instagram.
If we talk about Facebook users overlapping with other platforms, Here are the numbers:
- 74.7% of Facebook users also use Youtube.
- 72.7% of Facebook users also use Whatsapp.
- 48.8% of Facebook users also use Twitter.
- 47.8% of Facebook users also use TikTok.
- 36.1% of Facebook users also use Pinterest.
- 1.5% of Facebook users access the platform from a laptop or a desktop.
How Many Facebook Users Are There In The United States?
The birthplace of the platform and also the world’s strongest economy paired with a high engagement rate and tech-savvy population makes The United States one of the most important markets for Facebook.
- There are currently 243.5 million Facebook users in the US, making it the country with the second-largest user base.
- Facebook has 270 million MAUs in the United States and Canada combined in the second quarter of 2023.
Here is a table showing the number of MAUs in the US and Canada over the years:
Facebook User Demographic Statistics
- 56.6% of Facebook users are male, while 43.4% are female.
- The majority of Facebook’s users belong to the 25 to 34 age group, with 18.4% males and 12.6% females belonging to this age group using the platform.
Here is a table showing the distribution of Facebook users worldwide by age and gender:
|Age Group||Share of Males||Share of Females|
Countries With The Most Facebook Users
- With 416 million users, India has the most Facebook users. The United States stands second with 243.5 million users.
Here is a table showing the countries with the most Facebook users:
|Country||Number Of Facebook users|
|United States||243.5 million|
Facebook Users In Different Regions Of The World
- The Asia Pacific region has the most number of Facebook users as of 2023. The region accounts for over 44.52% of Facebook’s total userbase.
Let us take a look at the data for other world regions in this section
- The Asia-Pacific region has 1.35 billion monthly active Facebook users as per the latest reports.
- The European region has 409 million users, while the US & Canada combined account for 270 million users.
Here is a table showing Facebook users in different world regions:
|World Region||Number Of Facebook Users|
|Asia Pacific||1.35 billion|
|US & Canada||270 million|
|Rest Of The World||1.00 billion|
Facebook Usage Statistics
- A recent study by Statista reveals that an average person spends around 147 minutes on social media platforms every day. Out of which 33 minutes are spent on Facebook.
Facebook is also the social media on which users spend the most time. If we do the math, we get the following numbers:
|Every day||33 minutes|
|Every Week||231 minutes|
|Every Month||990 minutes|
- 31% of U.S. adults use Facebook to get regular news updates.
- 1.8 billion people interact in Facebook groups every month.
- The average percentage of Facebook page fans who engaged with a page’s postings was 0.07 percent.
Facebook’s Reach Based on Devices
Here is a table showing Facebook’s reach based on the device:
|Device||Share of respondents|
|Any kind of mobile device||98.5%|
|Laptop or Desktop||1.5%|
|Both phones and computers||16.7%|
|Only via a mobile phone||81.8%|
Facebook Post Engagement Rate
- The average Facebook page fan engagement with posts was 0.07%
With an interaction rate of 0.13%, image posts had the highest level of engagement. Furthermore, link posts saw the lowest engagement rate with 0.03%
Here is a table showing the Average Facebook page fan engagement with selected post types:
|Post Type||Average fan engagement rate|
Opinion Of US Citizens On Facebook
We have gathered data about people in the US and their opinions on Facebook. here are the findings:
- 20% of adults in the United States have a favorable opinion while 19% have a very unfavorable opinion of Facebook.
- 15% of males and 24% of females have a favorable opinion about Facebook.
Here is a complete breakdown of the above stat:
|Heard of, no opinion||6%||6%|
|Never heard of||1%||1%|
Facebook Download Statistics
Facebook has been downloaded over 5 billion times from the Google Play Store alone making it one of the most downloaded apps in the history of the internet.
- Facebook was downloaded 413 million times in 2022 alone.
Why People Use Facebook
- The most popular Facebook activity is contacting friends and family, according to the most recent study by a data portal on Facebook’s most popular uses. Up to 71.3% of Facebook users claim to interact with their loved ones on the platform.
Here is a table showing the top reasons people use Facebook:
|Reason||Share of respondents|
|Message friends and family||71.3%|
|Post or share photos or videos||64.5%|
|Keep up to date with news and current events||60.1%|
|Follow or research brands and products||55.7%|
|Look for funny or entertaining content||55.1%|
Facebook Ads Statistics
Facebook has the potential to reach 2.11 billion people through ads. That is around 70% of its userbase.
The fact that 55.7% of active Facebook users use the platform for following or researching businesses and products is great indicator for advertisers.
According to the latest quarterly report from Meta, almost 3/4th of Advertisers are now putting ads on facebook’s reels.
Let us dive into the world of Facebook ads through numbers:
- Facebook has over 10 million active advertisers on the platform currently.
- Those advertisers can reach 2.11 billion individuals through ads.
- 34.1% of adults worldwide over the age of 13 see Facebook advertisements.
- Almost all of Facebook’s advertisers are using at least one of their AI-driven products.
- 63.7% of Americans over the age of 13 are exposed to Facebook ads.
What about other countries?
Here is a table showing the reach of Facebook ads for people over the age of 14 across various countries:
|Country||Facebook ad reach|
- In the second quarter of 2022, advertising impressions increased by 15% (YOY), and the average price per advertisement decreased by 14% (YOY).
- Facebook’s ad income accounts for the vast majority of its total revenue. Its 2022 financial reports reveal that advertisements accounted for 97.5% of its total registered revenue.
This means that Facebook made $113.7 billion in 2022 just via advertisements.
- On average, a Facebook user clicks on 12 ads every month.
- Facebook advertising has an average Cost Per Click (CPC) of $1.72 and an average Click Through Rate (CTR) of 0.9%. 9.21% is the average conversion rate (CVR).
Additionally, Facebook allows us to view the average cost per click per campaign objective:
- The finance industry has the highest Facebook ads CPC – $3.89.
Here is a table showing the Facebook sectors with the highest CPC:
|Internet and Telecom||$3.07|
|Home and Garden||$2.78|
|Business and Industrial||$2.48|
|Jobs and Education||$2.11|
|People and Society||$2.01|
|Beauty and Fitness||$1.85|
|Food and beverage||$0.42|
Facebook Statistics for Businesses
- More than 200 million companies use Facebook’s applications and free tools.
- In the past year, 18.3% of American adults made a transaction on Facebook.
- A local business page is visited by over 70% of Facebook users at least once a week.
- Facebook live chat makes customers 53% more likely to purchase from a company.
- Facebook will have real-time translation capabilities for hundreds of languages.
How does this help businesses? Businesses will be able to create social media material in one language and trust Facebook to translate it correctly for a worldwide audience. Greater eyes viewing the material and thus more engagement will result from regional articles translating into major languages or vice versa.
- A Facebook Page post’s typical organic reach is 5.2%.
- Facebook deleted over 4,596,700 pieces of material in 2021 due to copyright, trademark, or fraudulent reports.
- On average, 36% of Facebook page postings are photos.
Facebook Revenue Statistics
- Facebook has registered a revenue of $60.64 billion in 2023 so far.
The platform earned $28.64 billion in the first quarter and $31.99 billion in the second quarter of 2023.
Here is a table showing Facebook’s revenue over the years:
|2023 (Q2)||$60.64 billion|
Here are the complete financial figures for Facebook for the complete year 2022:
- Facebook registered a revenue of $116.6 billion in 2022.
- Facebook’s net income was $23.1 billion in 2022.
- Facebook’s revenue from advertising was $113.7 billion in 2022.
- Facebook registered annual revenue of $117.92 billion in 2021.
Facebook Average Revenue Per User
- Facebook’s global ARPU is $10.63 as of the second quarter of 2023.
This figure is the global average. If we dive into ARPU based on region then we get the following numbers.
|World Region||Facebook ARPU|
|USA & Canada||$53.53|
|Rest Of The World||$3.76|
Facebook Messenger Statistics
Facebook Messenger was first launched on 9th August 2011, and since then its users are only increasing. As of 2023, 1.38 billion people use the messenger service globally.
Let us take a look at some of the other statistics associated with it.
- 138.1 million people use Facebook Messenger as of 2023, which is an increase of 2.2 million since the past year.
Here is a table showing the number of Facebook Messenger users over the years:
- 55.5% of Facebook Messenger users are male, while 44.5% are female.
- Most of the Facebook Messenger users in the US are between the ages of 25 and 44.
Here is a table showing the distribution of Facebook Messenger users:
|Age Group||Share of Users|
|13 to 17||1.2%|
|25 to 34||23.8%|
|35 to 44||20.6%|
|45 to 54||16.6%|
|55 to 64||13.8%|
- The yearly downloads of Facebook Messenger fell to 353 million in 2021. We say ‘fell’ because, in 2020, this number was 508 million.
Artificial Intelligence At Facebook
Facebook has a large number of users and a lot of data, which provides ample opportunity for its developers and engineers to experiment, solve problems, and explore the capabilities of AI.
Facebook understands the importance of AI. The social media giant has made their first custom silicon chip for running AI models, a new AI-optimized data center design, and the second phase of our 16,000 GPU supercomputer for AI research.
Let us take a look at some interesting facts and figures associated with Facebook’s AI usage in this section.
- more than 20% of the content in a person’s Facebook feeds is now recommended by AI from people, groups, or accounts they don’t follow.
- Facebook’s AI research model, No Language Left Behind (NLLB-200) enables translation of 200 different languages.
- For some Indian-based languages, NLLB-200’s translations were more than 70% accurate.
- Facebook’s research has advanced speech recognition tech for low-resource languages with the MMS project. This includes a speech-to-text and text-to-speech model for 1,100+ languages.
- Meta’s Research SuperCluster (RSC) AI Supercomputer features 16,000 GPUs, all accessible across the 3-level Clos network fabric that provides full bandwidth to each of the 2,000 training systems.
- Meta has released over 1,000 AI models, libraries, and data sets for researchers over the last decade.
How Many Employees Does Facebook Have?
- Facebook has 71,469 employees as of 2023.
That is a decrease of 14% year-over-year. Approximately half of the employees impacted by the 2023 layoffs are included in Facebook’s reported headcount as of June 30, 2023.
Earlier in December of 2022, Facebook had a headcount of 86,482 but laid off over 9,000 employees.
- Telegram Statistics
- Quora Statistic
- Chatbot Statistics
- Spotify Stats
- Clubhouse Statistics
- Disney Users
Conclusion: Facebook Statistics (2023)
So, this was my take on Facebook statistics. I tried to cover all the important segments with the most up-to-date statistics from trusted sources. If you want to make an informed decision, you can 100% rely on our research.
We keep updating the articles every month and with every quarterly report rollout. If you want me to cover additional segments, feel free to comment below so I can add them during the next update.
Make sure you check our other statistical articles as well. We have covered all the top social media, including TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, etc.