Gmail was launched in the year 2004. Soon after, people adapted to Google’s offerings, and it became one of the biggest players in the email section.
Today, Gmail has over 1.8 billion users, which send around 121 billion emails among them.
If you are someone who wants to know Gmail in detail, we have a comprehensive guide for you. Let us explore the email giant through numbers.
Gmail Statistics 2023 (Top Picks)
- Gmail has over 1.8 billion active users as of 2023. which means 22.22% of the world’s population uses Google’s mail service.
- Over 121 billion emails are sent via Gmail every day.
- Gmail has a 28% market share globally in the email management market.
- Gmail owns 75.78% of the market share in the United States.
- Gmail is available in 105 languages.
- Gmail blocks 99.9% of spam, malware, and dangerous links from ever reaching your inbox.
- An average person has 1.7 Gmail accounts.
- 75% of all Gmail users access their email on mobile devices.
- Approximately 53% of Gmail users are reported to be men, while females make up the remaining 47%.
- 90% of US startups use Gmail.
|Launch Date||April 1, 2004,|
|Founder||Paul Buchheit (Google Developer)|
|Headquarters||Mountain View, California.|
|Number of active users||1.8 billion+|
Gmail User Statistics
- There are over 1.8 billion Gmail users in the world.
It is a popular choice for personal as well as for business use.
Another reason for such high usage is that most Android users prefer Gmail as their choice of mail client.
The following table displays the number of Gmail users over the years:
|Year||Number Of Users|
Gmail Market Share.
- Gmail holds a 27.96% share among email clients. It still can’t outrank the first-place holder, Apple Mail, which has a 58.67% market share.
Leaving the top 2 contenders, other email clients have a single-digit market share.
The following table displays the market share of different email clients:
|Email Client||Market Share|
- Gmail owns a 53% share of the US email market.
General Gmail Statistics
- Gmail users send over 121 million emails every day.
347 billion emails are sent globally, which means Gmail is responsible for 30.01% of the total email exchange volume globally.
The following table displays the number of emails sent using Gmail over the years:
|Year||Number Of Emails Sent Using Gmail.|
- Gmail is responsible for 27% of all email views on the internet.
- Gmail users reported that 68.4% of all incoming messages are “promotional messages”. At the same time, 22.1% were reported as “updates.”
- In an average Gmail account, the number of messages is approximately 17k.
- The primary tab of Gmail is reported to have a read rate of 22%.
Gmail User Demographics.
- The average age of Gmail users is reported to be 31.
- 61% of 18 to 29-year-old adults reported that they use Gmail the most. In comparison, 19% of them who belong to the same age group use Yahoo.
The following table displays the percentage of adults in different age groups that use Gmail.
|Age Group||Percentage Of Gmail Users.|
|18 to 29 years||61%|
|30 to 44 years||54%|
|45 to 54 years||36%|
|55 to 64 years||36%|
- Gmail is used by 52.74% of the male population around the world.
The following table displays the share Gmail users based on their gender:
|Gender||Percentage Of Gmail Users|
Gmail Usage Statistics
- Gmail is responsible for 75% of all the emails opened online. While Yahoo mail is responsible for 14.8% of the email opens.
The following table displays the percentage of email opens on different email platforms:
|Platform||Percentage Of Email Opens|
- On average, Gmail users spend 28 minutes on the platform daily.
- Gmail is available in 105 languages. It makes it easier for non-English nations across the globe to use Gmail for sending and receiving emails.
- Handwriting input support was added to Gmail in the year 2013. These handwritten texts can be written in 88 languages.
- Including a question in an email while sending it improves the chances of receiving a response from the recipient.
- For every dollar spent on email marketing, you are likely to get a return of 42%.
- More than 60% of mid-sized US companies reported using Gmail for professional use.
- Gmail’s Andoid app has registered over 10 billion downloads to date.
Gmail Usage In Different Countries.
- More than 90% of the startups in the United States reported using Gmail for their work purposes.
- Gmail owns 95.7% of the market share in India, while in Brazil, it owns 90.8% of the market share.
The following table displays the market share owned by Gmail in different countries:
|Country||Percentage Of Market Share.|
Gmail Account Statistics.
- The average number of email accounts recorded per user is reported to be 1.7. This number is expected to grow to 1.9 in the upcoming years.
- In the year 2009, Gmail suffered around two-and-a-half-hour outage, which affected 100 million accounts.
- In September 2014, 5 million Gmail logins were reported to be leaked in September 2014. Of these leaked passwords, only 1% of them had a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols, and less than 8% of them were longer than ten characters.
42.5% of these leaked passwords were a combination of lowercase letters and numbers, while 39.84% of the leaked passwords included only lowercase letters.
Gmail Inbox Content
- In an average Gmail account, less than 0.1% of emails are reported to be spam.
- The number of wanted emails that land in the spam folder is calculated to be less than 0.05%.
- Email messages that are tagged as promotions acquire 84.5% of the Gmail inbox. On the other hand, email messages that are tagged as Social have an inbox placement rate of 87.2%.
The following table displays the placement of various messages in Gmail inboxes with different tags.
|Tag Name||Percentage Of Messages|
Read Rates Of Gmail.
- The read rate of the messages that are tagged as promotions is reported to be 19.2%. While the read rate of messages tagged as updates is reported to be 28%.
The following table displays the read rates of the Gmail messages with different tags.
|Tag Name.||Percentage Of Reads Rate.|
Device Usage Of Gmail Users
- 75% of Gmail users access the app on their mobile phones. In comparison, 41.2% of the users access Gmail through their desktops.
The following table displays the percentage of users that access Gmail through different devices.
|Device||Percentage Of Gmail Users|
- However, only 6% of emails are opened on mobile devices.
- Around 890,400,000 users reported that they use their mobile devices to access Gmail accounts as of the year 2023.
The following table displays the number of Gmail users that use their mobile phones to access the app.
|Year||Number of Gmail Accounts Accessed On Mobile Devices.|
- 97% of Gmail users in the United States reported that they use mobile to access their Gmail accounts. In contrast, only 3% of them used a desktop.
The following table displays the percentage of Gmail users using different devices across various countries.
Gmail Click-Through Rates.
- 69% of the spam flags are based purely on the subject line of the emails sent or received.
- Only 9% of the sales emails are opened, while the rest are ignored by the receivers.
- 24% of the emails received are opened within an hour of being received.
- On average, 50% of the emails are deleted by the receivers.
- The salesperson spends over 33% of the time on emailing.
- The first email account was reported to be live on April 1, 2004.
- In the year 2013, Google provided its users with 15 GB of free storage in the year 2013.
- The longest outage in the history of Google lasted for 2.5 hours.
- Gmail was ranked second in the list of “100 Best products of 2005” in the world of PCs.
- Besides, Gmail also won “Honourable Mention” in the bottom line design awards that took place in the year 2005.
- Moreover, Forbes magazine declared Gmail as the best webmail in the year 2006. In the same year, Forbes declared Gmail to be the best webmail service provider around the globe.
- In the year 2021, Gmail was the 12th most searched query.
How Does Gmail Generate Revenue?
- Gmail sends personalized advertisements to the inbox of the users based on the type of emails and newsletters they have subscribed to. Gmail generates revenue when the user clicks on the ad that is being marketed.
The advertising revenue of Gmail is reported to be high due to the large number of users using the platform every day.
Additionally, Gmail generates revenue with the Gsuite subscription that allows users to get custom domain emails for business.