The top platforms that spring to mind when you plan to build a website are Shopify and Squarespace. Yes, both are well-known and feature-rich website builders. Each one offers amazing functionality and a premium user experience. They can produce powerful results only if they are chosen in the right circumstances. So I strongly recommend doing an in-depth analysis of both platforms.
To help you precisely understand each feature, I have made a comparison of Shopify vs Squarespace. I took various aspects to compare — ease of use, design & customization, marketing, pricing, dropshipping, integration, and so on. It will definitely help you choose the right platform to start your eCommerce business model.
Towards the end of the article, I will share a bonus tip on which is the main factor to be considered while choosing between Shopify and Squarespace, depending on the business requirements.
Let’s explore each section.
Comparison Table for Shopify vs Squarespace (2023)
|Ease of Use||Easy||Easy|
|Design and Customization||free templates are fewer||More templates are available|
|Marketing Features||More options||Fewer options|
|Pricing||Reasonable with more features||Reasonable with fewer features|
|Dropshipping||Better options||Less convenience available|
|Integration||More options are available||Fewer options are available|
|Analytics and Performance||Advanced analytics available||Basic inbuilt analytics are available|
|Customer support||24*7 customer support||24*7 customer support|
|Which is secure?||Free SSL||Free SSL|
Shopify vs Squarespace: Ease of Use
In examining the ease of use between Shopify and Squarespace, let’s dig deeper into which platform is easiest to set up and use.
Shopify is a well-known platform for creating an E-Commerce website wherein your online store will be only a few steps away. The step-by-step procedure for creating an E-Commerce store through Shopify is as follows:
- Shopify offers a 14-day free trial. You can take advantage of this offer to create your Shopify account.
- After creating an account in Shopify, you need to design your online store. You can choose the free or the paid themes to design according to your business requirements.
- After designing the store you should add the products to the store. It is important to provide details about the product you want to sell, like its color, weight, and size.
- The next step in setting up the Shopify store is configuring a few settings of the online store like shipping zones, shipping rates, payment gateways, etc.
- Having configured the store settings, the store is now ready to sell physical and digital products. To attract customers to your store, you should focus primarily on marketing. Within the Shopify app store, you will find a number of marketing apps to facilitate your marketing efforts.
- With Shopify, you can build your E-Commerce website without any need for a single code within a few minutes.
Squarespace is one of the oldest and easy-to-build website builders. It is used for building all kinds of websites like portfolios, blogs, E-Commerce, etc. Below mentioned are the steps to be followed to create a website with Squarespace.
- Go to the Squarespace website and Click on Get started.
- Choose the template and other questions asked according to your website requirements. The template can be altered or changed afterward.
- Choose your store design after previewing it. Name your website and click on the Continue button. Check out the mobile and desktop versions of the website.
- Now you can edit a page if you want to add any extra section to the website pages. You can also add a new page to the website using the blank page.
- If you want to customize your website you can change the background of the section, add a text box, customize the buttons, etc can be done easily in Squarespace.
- Choose a subscription plan according to your business size. Add the products to the website with all the necessary details. Maintain the product inventory of your store.
- You should set up a payment gateway like Square(US), Paypal, Stripe or etc.
- Setup the shipping options from multiple options available like free shipping, flat rate, carrier-calculated rates, etc.
- After all these setups, you should start marketing your products. There several Email marketing tools and integrations are available to the market in Squarespace.
These are the major steps that need to be followed to set up the online store using the Squarespace platform.
Both Shopify and Squarespace are easy-to-use platforms without any technical knowledge. Shopify website has more features and the website can be created within minimum time and steps. Whereas Squarespace comes in handy when you want to create new pages and add new sections in the E-commerce store. In overall comparison, both Shopify and Squarespace are in a tie in the ease of use section.
Shopify vs Squarespace: Design & Customization Options
Design and customization is the important aspect of all websites. Let’s see which platform has better design and customization options.
Shopify has numerous Free and paid theme templates available to design your website. You can choose any one of the free or the paid to design your website according to your store requirements. Usually, the number of free themes will be limited.
If you want to customize the template of the existing themes, you should hire a Shopify developer. They will help you to customize the Shopify theme template according to your needs.
Squarespace offers a huge number of templates that can be chosen according to the niche of your business. Once you choose the niche of the business, you will get to choose the themes as per your choice. When you choose the templates, you can preview and change the designs. When it comes to the customization you can add a new page, change the background, add a text box, or customize the buttons. All these can be done without a single line of code in Squarespace.
Verdict: When it comes to customization, Squarespace wins this section. Although Shopify has tons of important features that an E-Commerce store should have. Customization is only a few clicks away in Squarespace. So Squarespace is the best for customization, but that doesn’t mean you can’t go with Shopify, which has a lot of built-in features.
Shopify vs Squarespace: Marketing Features Compared
In terms of marketing, it’s critical to take a close look at it. Marketing directly impacts the sales and profit of your business. So which platform is better in Marketing features?
Shopify has a wide variety of marketing apps that are directly integrated with your store. Some of the important apps are Candy Rack, Referral Candy, Smile.io Rewards, Omnisend, Instagram & Facebook marketing, Outfy, and many more. Shopify AppStore has marketing apps for all types of marketing such as email marketing, social media, Reviews app, ads, notifications, SEO, and many more.
Shopify also supports blogging and SEO which is the best option for getting your customers organically. The best part about Shopify is it has some special features like abandoned cart recovery, Shopify POS, etc. Overall Shopify is best for marketing apps that are directly integrated with the store.
In Contrast, Squarespace has fewer marketing options like SEO, blogging, and Email marketing. There is no option or support for social media marketing and other integrations. In case you need to add any marketing options you do not have an app or a plugin to support them like the Shopify app store. Mostly this is considered to be the cons of Squarespace.
Verdict: Shopify has tons of marketing apps in its app store for every type of marketing. So Shopify is considered the winner of the marketing features section.
Shopify vs Squarespace: Pricing Battle!
Each platform offers a different set of pricing plans. You should check the pricing plans and features of each platform to match your budget. All the plans come with different features added with every premium feature
Shopify offers all the essential features required to run an E-Commerce store in all the plans. Shopify offers 5 different subscription plans which can be chosen according to the requirements of the website.
|1||Basic plan||$29 per month|
|2||Shopify||$79 per month|
|3||Advanced plan||$299 per month|
|4||Shopify lite||$9 per month|
|5||Shopify Plus||$2000 per month|
Squarespace has four types of subscription plans:
|1||Personal plan||$14 per month|
|2||Business plan||$23 per month|
|3||Basic Commerce plan||$27 per month|
|4||Advanced Commerce plan||$49 per month|
Verdict: These are the different pricing plans available in Shopify and Squarespace. By comparing both the platforms I feel Shopify has reasonable pricing with all the necessary features. So Shopify is considered the winner of this section.
Note: If you wanna save a few extra bucks well check our working Squarespace Promo Code here.
Shopify vs Squarespace: Ecommerce & Dropshipping Features
Dropshipping is the best way to start your hassle-free journey in E-commerce. When choosing between Shopify vs Squarespace you should check its feature before opting for one.
Shopify is the easiest and preferred platform to start a dropshipping business. Starting the dropshipping store with Shopify is only a few steps away and clicks away.
The steps are as follows:
- Set up the Shopify account by filling in all the necessary information.
- Select the best dropshipping app from the Shopify AppStore and install it. (Spocket, DSers app)
- Connect the dropshipping app to your store.
- Choose the products you want to sell from the app and list them in your store.
- After listing the products configure the payment gateway and Shipping profile.
- Your store is ready for the dropshipping business.
In terms of dropshipping with Squarespace, there are no solutions or perfect apps available for dropshipping in Squarespace, If you still want to start the dropshipping business with Squarespace you can go with Printful or Spocket. You should handle complications with payment gateway and multicurrency in setting up when compared to Shopify.
Verdict: Taking the two into consideration Shopify is often regarded as the best platform for launching a dropshipping business.
Shopify vs Squarespace: Pros & Cons
Here are the benefits & drawbacks of using Shopify and Squarespace.
- You can sell your products in multiple currencies on Shopify using the Shopify Markets option.
- Shopify’s POS (point of sale) feature is much better than Squarespace.
- Shopify offers better dropshipping options than Squarespace.
- Abandoned cart features of Shopify are available at an affordable price in comparison to Squarespace.
- You can easily switch your website’s template on Shopify, whereas Squarespace does not have this feature.
- If you use alternative payment methods, then you will have to pay more transaction fees than usual.
- If you are using paid Shopify apps, then your monthly costs will add up to a much higher price than Squarespace.
- Squarespace is much easier to use than Shopify; you can easily edit the contents of any page.
- If you are using Squarespace for blogging purposes, then it is the right choice between Shopify and Squarespace.
- Squarespace offers more free templates than Shopify.
- If you choose to pay annually on Squarespace, then you will also get a free domain with it.
- Squarespace offers one year of free subscription to Google Workspace in their plans.
- There is no app store available on Squarespace; you only get an extension market.
- If you are a beginner, then it might take you some time to understand the dashboard of Squarespace fully.
Which Has Better Integration Options?
When your business grows to a larger level integrating the store with other solutions is necessary. It helps in the proper functions of all the operations.
Shopify is integrated with all the major platforms like Social media, Email Marketing, Shipping integrations, and many more. It has tons of apps for each type of functioning and integrations in its Shopify app store. Shopify has third-party integrations for all the features of the E-Commerce store.
Whereas Squarespace is integrated with some major spaces like Shipping platforms, Email marketing automation, etc. But Squarespace doesn’t have a dedicated app and app store for every functionality. This is where it lacks in creating a complete E-Commerce website with all functionalities.
Verdict: In total Shopify is the best platform for integration with any type of functionality. Because it has a dedicated app for every aspect of the E-Commerce store.
Which Has Better Analytics & Performance Monitoring?
Analytics and Performance monitoring is crucial to keep track of the store’s sales and performance reports. Let’s have look at which platform has better analytics and Performance monitoring.
Shopify has advanced Analytics and performance metric options. It shows you the exact information about recent sales, how the sales channels are performing, and tracks where your visitors are coming from. The steps to see the analytics in Shopify are Shopify admin > Sales Channel > Shop > Analytics
Squarespace also has the inbuilt functionality of Analytics on your online store’s performance and the behavior of the customers. It provides only the basic analytics when compared to Shopify. The best part about both the platforms are they both integrated with Google Analytics.
Verdict: Based on the above considerations, Shopify wins when it comes to Analytics & Performance Monitoring
Shopify vs Squarespace: Customer Support
When you are stuck at a certain stage or are unable to perform a certain function, customer support is key. So it is better to choose it wisely.
Shopify has 24*7 support on all days of the week. The mode of support includes email, live chat, and phone calls. They also offer some Shopify articles that walk you through the process step by step.
Likewise, Squarespace has customer support 24*7 via live chat, Email, and Twitter. They also offer troubleshooting guides through their articles.
Verdict: Both Shopify and Squarespace are good at providing dedicated customer support. So in this section, both the platforms are in a tie.
Which One Is Secure?
Security is the major concern you should have when building any website. So let’s deep dive into which platform is secure among Shopify and Squarespace. SSL(Secure Sockets Layer) will help your website safeguard your data and internet connection.
Shopify offers a free SSL feature in its plan you just need to follow the below steps.
Shopify admin page > log in > Online Store > Domains > Activate SSL certificate
Likewise, Squarespace also has the free SSL feature following the below features.
Home Menu > Settings > Click Advanced > SSL > Security Preference > checking Secure and HSTS Secure > Save
Verdict: Hence both Shopify and Squarespace offer free SSL, and both the platforms are in a tie for the security feature.
Alternatives to Shopify and Squarespace
If you think both Shopify and Squarespace are not right for you, then you should check out these amazing alternatives to Shopify and Squarespace.
Wix is considered to be one of the best website builders for small businesses. If you are running a small business offline and want to create an online store, then Wix can be a great choice for you. It is also good for businesses with low budgets. You get two options on Wix; you can either create an online store using the templates on your own or let Wix ADI create one for you based on your recommendations.
BigCommerce is the perfect alternative to Shopify because it is also a dedicated eCommerce platform that can help you create great online stores. The pricing of BigCommerce is somewhat similar to Shopify, so if you think Shopify is not right for you, but you have the budget, then you should go for BigCommerce.
Square recently merged with Weebly to create an amazing eCommerce platform that is best for all types of businesses. It has plenty of selling features, and you can easily use all of its tools. All of its eCommerce features are easy to understand, so you won’t have any problem using them.
- Shopify vs WooCommerce
- Shopify Statistics
- Wix vs Shopify
- Shopify vs Shopify Plus
- Squarespace Alternatives
Conclusion: Which One Should You Choose In 2023?
Choose Squarespace: If you are into building any kind of creative website other than E-Commerce, I will recommend Squarespace. Squarespace is ideal for blogs, portfolios, artistic websites, and other projects that require customization.
Squarespace has a huge number of templates related to a particular niche. It gives you the flexibility to choose a suitable template from the list. Squarespace gives you very creative outcomes from the websites. If you want to build a good-looking and customized website with fewer functionalities and features, You can go for Squarespace.
Choose Shopify: If you want to build a fully-fledged E-Commerce website with all the functionalities, You should choose Shopify. Because the Shopify offers best features like Shopify POS, Analytics, Abandoned Cart Reminders, Security, and Fast loading website for reasonable pricing.
Shopify acts as a one-stop shop for all your E-Commerce store needs. If you still need any extra functionalities you can easily download them through the Shopify AppStore.If you are planning to start an E-Commerce store I strongly recommend you opt for Shopify. This platform will not leave you confused at any point.
No, you can not use Shopify and Squarespace for free, but they do offer free trials to their new users. Squarespace offers a 14-day free trial, whereas Shopify has reduced its free trial from 14-days to 3-days.
If we compare Shopify and Squarespace head to head, then Shopify has the edge over Squarespace because it offers better eCommerce features than Squarespace, and you can enhance the capabilities of your Shopify store by integrating apps from the Shopify App store.
If you are planning to create a big eCommerce store where you want to sell more than 100 products and want better control of your store, then you will want Shopify because of its advanced tools; Shopify is more scalable than Squarespace.
You must first have a Squarespace website and a Shopify store to connect them. After that, you can sell your products on multiple channels and promote your Shopify store on your Squarespace website.
Squarespace has better blogging features than Shopify, so you should use Squarespace to create your online store and start a blog with it.