Walmart began in the United States as a single discount store with the objective of selling more for less price. After evolving for 60 years, it currently has super centres, discount stores, and neighborhood markets worldwide.
Walmart today successfully runs over 10,500 stores worldwide. It was able to generate revenue of 572.75 billion as of the year 2022.
If you are interested in knowing more detailed and interesting facts about Walmart, you are surely in the right place. We have thoroughly researched and compiled all the latest Walmart statistics you need to know.
Walmart Statistics: Top Picks
- Walmart has 10,593 stores across 24 countries as of 2023.
- every day, Walmart serves more than 37 million customers and more than 230 million customers weekly as of 2023.
- Walmart generated a revenue of approximately $573 billion worldwide.
- $53,921 million worth of sales were generated by Walmart’s e-commerce.
- Walmart makes more than $1.5 billion daily and generated a revenue of $573 billion worldwide as of 2022.
- There are 4,742 stores of Walmart in the United States.
- Walmart.com owns 6.3% of the market share in the United States.
- International stores of Walmart generated net sales of $81.1 billion.
- There were 2.3 million associates appointed worldwide, and 1.6 million associates are in the United States.
- Walmart’s e-commerce increased by 74% during the pandemic.
- 407.8 million visits were recorded on Walmart.com as of 2023.
|Launch date||1st October 1970|
|Number of Walmart Stores||10,593|
General Walmart Statistics
Here are some general statistics related to Walmart.
- Flipkart is owned by Walmart. Further, it has a 39% share of the Indian e-commerce market.
- 56% of the net sales made by Walmart are from the grocery category. Shoppers are mostly found buying groceries at Walmart.
- Walmart spent 3.1 billion US dollars on advertisements.
Walmart Stores Worldwide.
- As of January 2022, Walmart had approximately 10,593 retail stores around the globe. Additionally, they operate 364 distribution facilities worldwide. Hence, the total number of Walmart stores is 10,957.
Comparatively, there were 11,443 Walmart stores in the year 2021.
These number spreads light on the fact that the number of Walmart stores have decreased tremendously. This is due to the termination of Walmart stores in the United Kingdom and Japan at the beginning of the fiscal year 2022.
The following table displays the number of Walmart stores worldwide over the past years.
|Year||A Number Of Walmart Stores.|
- There were around 4,919 retail stores and 332 wholesale stores in Walmart in the year 2022.
|Year||Number Of Retail Stores||Number Of Wholesale Stores|
Number Of Walmart By Store By Division
- Sams club operated around 600 stores as of January 2022. It is a chain of memberships owned and operated by only the retail warehouse clubs of Walmart. On the other hand, Walmart International operated 5,251 stores, and Walmart US operated approximately 4,742 stores.
The following table will give you an essence of the Walmart store’s different segments like Walmart US segment, Walmart international segment, and Sam’s club segment.
|Year||Number Of Stores In Walmart US Segment||Number Of Stores In Walmart International||Number Of Stores In The Sams Club Segment|
Number Of Walmart Stores In The US According To Their Type.
- As of 2022, there are 4,742 in total Walmart stores in the United States. Of these, 3,573 stores are supercenters, 799 are neighborhood markets, and 370 are discount stores.
The following table displays the number of Walmart stores in the United States according to their type.
|Year||Supercenters||Neighborhood Markets||Discount Stores||Total Stores|
How Many Countries Have Walmart?
- Walmart International operates in Africa, Canada, Central America, China, India, Chile and Mexico. It also had stores in the United Kingdom and Japan before 2022.
Walmart had a total of 2,755 stores in Mexico as of January 2022, whereas in Central America, there are only 864 stores.
The following table displays the number of Walmart stores in different countries worldwide.
|Country||Number Of Walmart Stores|
Walmart Revenue And Market Value.
The strongest segment of Walmart in terms of revenue is Walmart US. It operates retail stores in Walmart’s domestic market and generates most of its revenue. Let us take a look at the revenue generated by Walmart.
- Walmart generated $573 billion in revenue worldwide as of 2022. There was a 7% increase in the revenue generated compared to the previous year.
The following table displays the revenue generated by Walmart over the years.
- The retailers’ global profit amounted to 24.4% in the fiscal year 2022. Walmart has witnessed a stable gross profit margin since the year 2006.
The following table displays the gross profit margin of Walmart around the globe.
|Year||Gross Profit Margin|
- The global operating income of Walmart amounted to $25.9 billion as of the year 2022.
The following table displays the operating income of Walmart worldwide over the years.
|Year||Operating Income Of Walmart Worldwide|
- Walmarts net income was recorded to be $13.9 billion as of the year 2022. It was comparatively higher as compared to that of the year 2021.
The following table displays the net income of Walmart throughout the world over the past years.
|Year||Walmarts Net Income Worldwide.|
How Much Does Walmart Make In A Day?
- By serving millions of consumers, Walmart makes more than $1.5 billion daily as of 2023. Besides, every second consumer tends to spend $15,288 in Walmart.
- Walmart accounted for 6.3% of the US e-commerce market share, making it the second biggest online retailer in the country. Amazon owns the highest market share at 37.8%.
The following table displays the market share of the top retail e-commerce companies in the US as of 2022.
|Company||E-Commerce Market Share|
|The home depot||2.1%|
|Qurate Retail Group||0.7%|
- Walmart made $559.15 billion in the retail sector in the year 2020. It was the leading retailer around the globe. It was followed by Amazon, with a revenue of $213.57 billion.
The following table displays the revenue generated by leading retailers worldwide.
|The Home Depot||132.11 billion|
|Kroger co||131.62 billion|
|Walgreens Boot Alliance||117.71 billion|
|Aldi Einkauf GmbH||117.05 billion|
|Target Corporation||92.4 billion|
- Walmart ranks fourth biggest online store worldwide. It made net sales of $46,446 million in the year 2021. Amazon made the highest net sales.
The following table displays the top online stores worldwide as of 2021.
|Online Store||Revenue Generated|
|chasohi .tmall.com||17.16 billion|
Walmart Customer Statistics
Customer loyalty and trust has made Walmart one of the top retail stores. Millions of customers visit Walmart daily to purchase their daily necessities and other required products. Let us take a look at Walmart’s statistics related to customers.
How Many Customers Does Walmart Have Per Day?
- Every day, Walmart serves more than 37 million customers. Besides, in the US, just one supercenter provides service to an average of 10,000 customers daily.
How Many Customers Does Walmart Have Per Week?
- Approximately 230 million customers visit Walmart every week throughout the world. However, its weekly customer in the year 2021 was approximately 240 million, which was comparatively higher.
The following table displays the number of weekly customer visits to Walmart stores worldwide over the years.
|Year||Weekly Customer Visits|
Walmart Employee Statistics
- Approximately 2.3 million employees work at Walmart worldwide. Of these, 1.7 million employees work in the US.
- On average, an employee at works at Walmart for 3.3 years.
- 55% of the workforce at Walmart is reported to be female in the United States and around the globe. At the same time, 45% are male employees.
- 63% of the Employees at Walmart are white, while 15% are Hispanic or Latino. Only 12% of employees are Black or African American.
The following table displays the percentage of different races working in Walmart.
|Race/Ethnicity||Percentage Of Employees|
|Black or African American||12.8%|
- There has been a 4% increase in the management positions held by people of color since 2019.
- 46% of management promotions in the year 2021 went to women.
- Walmart received over 1 million job applications during the pandemic. Besides, they hired around 5,000 people daily using a quick hiring process.
- 54% of the employees at Walmart are in the age group of 20 to 30 years.
- The average employee at Walmart makes $31,618 annually.
Source: Zippia, Fortunately.
Walmart Product Statistics
- Bananas are the best-selling item in Walmart stores.
- During the pandemic, Walmart witnessed an increased demand for game consoles, hygiene products and toilet paper.
Walmart Sales Worldwide
- Around $568 billion was generated by Walmart as net sales as of 2022. Out of which, approximately 18% of Walmart sales came from the Walmart international division, 69% was from Walmart US, and 13% was from Sams club.
The following table displays the number share of Walmart’s net sales by division as of the fiscal year 2022.
|Division||Share of Walmart’s Net Sales Worldwide.|
- Walmart international’s net sales amounted to $101 billion as of 2022. There was a decrease of $21 billion as compared to the previous year.
On the other hand, Walmart US generated $393.25 billion in net sales, and Sam’s Club generated $73.56 billion.
The following table shows Walmart’s net sales over the past years worldwide.
|Year||Walmart US||Walmart International||Sam’s Club|
|2008||238.92 billion||90.57 billion||44.34 billion|
|2009||256.97 billion||96.14 billion||47.98 billion|
|2010||259.92 billion||97.41 billion||47.81 billion|
|2011||260.26 billion||109.23 billion||49.46 billion|
|2012||264.19 billion||125.44 billion||53.8 billion|
|2013||274.43 billion||134.75 billion||56.42 billion|
|2014||279.41 billion||136.51 billion||57.16 billion|
|2015||288.05 billion||136.16 billion||58.02 billion|
|2016||298.38 billion||123.41 billion||56.83 billion|
|2017||307.83 billion||116.12 billion||57.37 billion|
|2018||318.48 billion||118.07 billion||59.22 billion|
|2019||331.67 billion||120.82 billion||57.84 billion|
|2020||341 billion||120..13 billion||58.79 billion|
|2021||369.96 billion||121.36 billion||63.91 billion|
|2022||393.25 billion||100.96 billion||73.56 billion|
- Edible groceries generated the highest revenue for the US retail chain of Walmart as of 2022. It is estimated that by the end of the year 2027, the value of edible groceries will reach $300 billion.
The following table displays the estimated net sales of Walmart according to the category in 2022 and 2027.
|Edible grocery||271.8 billion||316.5 billion|
|Electricals||74.8 billion||88.9 billion|
|Home and DIY||54.8 billion||67.1 billion|
|Leisure and entertainment||43.5 billion||50.5 billion|
|Fashion and Apparel||38.6 billion||44.9 billion|
|Household and Petcare||35.7 billion||41.9 billion|
|Health and beauty||23 billion||27.9 billion|
|Other||22.3 billion||26.9 billion|
|office||12.7 billion||15.3 billion|
|Food Service||5.2 billion||5.9 billion|
- The leading banner of Walmart was Walmart supercenter as of 2022. It recorded 369 billion US dollars in sales.
The following table displays the net sales of Walmarts leading banners in the year 2022 and the forecasted sales in 2027.
|Walmart Supercenter||369 billion||417.4 billion|
|Sam’s Club||77.4 billion||89.7 billion|
|Walmart.com||27.7 billion||38.7 billion|
|Walmart||20.8 billion||21.5 billion|
|Waalmart.com Grocery||19.3 billion||28 billion|
|Flipkart.com||11.8 billion||18.7 billion|
|Walmart neighborhood market||9.2 billion||9.1 billion|
|SamsClub.com||8.6 billion||13.4 billion|
- The leading banner of Walmart in terms of compound annual growth rate is Flipkart. It is expected to generate approximately 9.7% growth between 2022 and 2027.
The following table displays the Walmart sales CAGR by banner as of 2022.
|Walmart Neighbourhood Market||-0.2%|
- It is estimated that Walmart international will generate $27.7 billion in net e-commerce sales and $84.5 billion from store baes sales.
The following table displays the net sales of Walmart International over the past few years.
|Year||E-Commerce Sales||Store-Based Sales|
|2021||22.5 billion||77.5 billion|
|2022||25.3 billion||81.1 billion|
|2023||27.7 billion||84.5 billion|
|2024||29.7 billion||87.9 billion|
|2025||31.4 billion||91.2 billion|
- Walmart International registered sales of around 36 billion US dollars in Central America and Mexico.
The following table displays the International net sales of Walmart over the past years.
|Mexico and Central America||31,790||33,350||32,642||35,964|
Walmart e-Commerce Sales
- Walmart generated net e-commerce sales of $53,921 million as 0f the year 2022. In the previous year, it generated approximately $46,446 million in net e-commerce sales.
The following table displays the net e-commerce sales of Walmart.com over the past years.
|Year||Net e-commerce Sales Of Walmart.Com|
From the above figures, it is evident that after the year 2019, the net e-commerce sales of Walmart grew rapidly.
- Walmart US generated e-commerce sales of $47.8 billion in the year 2022. There was an increase of 11% in e-commerce sales in the US compared to sales generated in the year 2021.
Additionally, Walmart operates through Walmart International as well as Sam’s club. The e-commerce sales generated through them were $18.5 million and $6.9 million, respectively, as of the year 2022.
The following table displays Walmart’s online sales worldwide by division over the past years.
|Year||Walmart US||Walmart International||Sam’s Club|
|2019||15.7 billion||6.7 billion||2.7 billion|
|2020||24.1 billion||11.8 billion||3.8 billion|
|2021||43 billion||16.6 billion||5.3 billion|
|2022||47.8 billion||18.5 billion||6.9 billion|
- Approximately 98% of Walmarts sales in India came from e-commerce. While in North America, the highest proportion of Walmart sales came from Canada.
Let us take a look at the e-commerce share of Walmart sales in key markets.
The following table displays the e-commerce shares owned by the key markets of Walmart.
|Country||E-Commerce Share Of Walmart Sales|
Traffic On Walmart.Com.
- The total visits recorded on Walmart.com as of 2022 were reported to be 407.8 million. At the same time, the highest number of visits to Walmart.com was recorded to be 563 million on December 21.
The following table displays the worldwide visits to Walmart.com over the past months.
|Month||Worldwide Visits Walmart.Com|
|December 2021||563 million|
|January 2022||466.2 million|
|February 2022||384.3 million|
|March 2022||415.8 million|
|April 2022||387.4 million|
|May 2022||407.8 million|
Walmart Theft And Crime.
- At least one violent crime was reported at Walmart stores every day as of 2016. It was after the company introduced cost-cutting policies which led to a reduction in security. These crimes included everything from stabbing to kidnapping attempts.
- $ 3 billion is lost by Walmart per year due to theft. In recent years Walmart took the initiative to introduce new measures to avoid theft and reduce losses by adding surveillance, staff training, using AI and restricting people with records of shoplifting.
Let us take a look at the net worth of the top competitors of Walmart.
- Amazon’s net revenue was almost $470 billion in the fiscal year 2021. These numbers have tremendously increased since 2019.
The following table displays the net worth of Amazon over the past few years.
|Year||Net Worth Of Amazon.|
- The yearly net sales of Costco have increased from $110.2 billion in 2014 to $192.1 billion as of 2021. It gained popularity worldwide as a members-only wholesale retailer with warehouse-style stores.
The following table displays the net sales revenue of Costco worldwide over the years.
|Year||Net Worth Of Costco.|
- Krogers generated total sales of $138 billion dollars as of 2021. Kroger’s sales increased rapidly from the year 2020.
The following table displays the total sales of Kroger in the United States over the past years.
|Year||Net Worth Of Krogers.|
- On July 2, 1962, the first Walmart store was opened by Sam Walton in Rogers, Arkansas. What happened next?
Let us take a look at the evolution of Walmart over the past years.
|2nd July 1962||Sam Walton opened the first Walmart store.|
|1967||Walton family generated $12.7 million in sales from 24 stores.|
|1969||The company was officially incorporated as Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.|
|1970s.||Walmart went national.|
|1980s.||First Sam’s Club and the first supercenter were opened.|
|1990s.||Walmart became the nation’s no. 1 retailer.|
|2000s.||Walmart.com was founded to allow US customers to shop online.|
|2010s.||Walmart celebrates 50 years of helping people save money in 2012. It encouraged culinary innovation.|
|2020s.||Walmart invested in drone delivery, fintech and autonomous vehicles.|
|2022.||Walmart reaches 30 million US homes through In-Home delivery. It also celebrated its 60th anniversary.|
Wrapping Up: Walmart Statistics (2023)
That’s all about Walmart statistics.
Walmart has come a long way in its 60 years journey by serving people. 40% of Walmart stores are located in the United States. They are responsible for generating approximately 67% of Walmart’s overall revenue.
You can check out our website for other updated articles if you have enjoyed reading the above.