A growing number of companies are opting to sell their services over the internet.
There a various reasons for this trend. The recent global pandemic, the ease of use, or the growth in smartphone usage. No matter what, there is no denying that the e-commerce sector is growing at a mammoth rate.
If you’re not sure about the ideal period to start using eCommerce, the following statistics and trends might just persuade you that it is NOW! In 2022.
I have gathered the most up-to-date statistics across the e-commerce sector and compiled them here in one post. If you are a marketer, a business owner, an influencer, or someone who is interested in the e-commerce world, this post is for you.
Read on to know more.
Top Ecommerce Statistics (2022)
- 2.14 billion people are shopping through e-commerce as of 2022.
- Globally, online retail sales totaled $4938 billion dollars.
- Global e-commerce sales are expected to grow to $5,542 billion US dollars in 2022.
- E-commerce is responsible for 18% of all retail sales.
- Around 45% of web store payments are made with digital and mobile wallets.
- It’s expected that eCommerce will account for 95% of ALL purchases by 2040.
- Over 93% of internet users have made online purchases.
- Conversions increase by 250 folds when products have 3 Dimensional images.
- Smartphone users generated $3.57 trillion in retail e-commerce sales in 2021.
- Online purchases account for 75% of all repeat purchases.
- Nearly 70% of b2b businesses say they expect to stop printing catalogs in the coming years.
Topic Specific Ecommerce Statistics
Let me give you some mind-blowing topic-specific e-commerce Statistics as of 2022.
General Ecommerce Statistics
eCommerce sales are predicted to reach $5542 billion this year.
This set of statistics back up the above statement.
- There are currently over 24 million e-commerce websites globally
- When shopping online, Nearly 60% of Millennials will visit Amazon.com first
- Google accounts for 69% of all eCommerce traffic.
- When they are unhappy with a product or company, 55% of online shoppers tell their friends and family.
- Consumers trust the advice of their friends and family 80% of the time.
- Credit cards are the most popular method of payment in e-commerce. Credit cards account for around 53% of all transactions. Digital payment systems (43%) and Debit cards (38%) came in second and third, respectively.
- The conversion rate for eCommerce websites is on the lower side with only 2.90% of visitors making a purchase.
- Nearly 65% of online shoppers prefer to buy products with content written in their native tongue.
- The CRO (conversion rate optimization) strategy is absent from 68% of small-scale businesses.
- There are over 24 million e-commerce websites in the world. Shopify accounts for 5.7 million of them.
- People prefer to shop online because everything they wish is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week on eCommerce sites.
- China is the world’s largest and most powerful eCommerce market accounting for 66% of all online sales.
- Overseas retailers account for 57% of all online purchases.
Mobile e-commerce accounts for 70% of total retail e-commerce. That means $3.4 trillion out of the $4.9 trillion online retail sales come from smartphones.
Businesses should optimize their web stores for smartphones to have a successful eCommerce journey. By ignoring mCommerce, they’re ignoring the vast majority of their prospective consumers.
I have compiled Mcommerce statistics below to help make the picture clear.
- Mobile devices account for 70% of all visits to eCommerce sites.
- Shoppers buy from their smartphones as it saves their time. 7 out of 10 consumers purchase products from their smartphones.
- Millennials use a mobile device to compare online deals 93% of the time.
- While in a physical store, 65 percent of customers use their smartphones to check price comparisons.
- $3.4 trillion out of the $4.9 trillion online retail sales come from smartphones.
- After looking at product details on smartphones in an offline store, 32% of shoppers changed their position about buying something.
- Mobile app conversion rates are three times higher than a mobile website.
- The total value of mobile eCommerce sales in the UK is expected to reach £80 billion in 2022.
- Bounce rates on Mcommerce websites increase by 32% when their loading times increase from 1 to 3 seconds.
- Over 70% of online buyers prefer to buy from websites that provide a smoother buying experience than poorly optimized sites.
- Customers who have a poor time in your mobile store are 62% less likely to shop with you again.
- 64% of buyers favor mobile payments over other payment methods in China
- 70% of mobile searches result in the buyer making a purchase within an hour.
- Adding CTA buttons can increase clicks by 45 percent.
- Recommendations from friends affect purchasing decisions on M-commerce. Even more than e-mail and Ad campaigns.
- 53% of mobile users prefer to shop from their favorite brand’s apps.
- 61% of customers tend to shop on mobile websites that allow them to apply search filters.
Email Commerce Statistics
Email marketing campaigns give you the most bang for your bucks. It’s an excellent tool for lead generation and fostering relationships with customers. I have compiled some email-related e-commerce statistics for you to take advantage of. Reap the benefits of Email marketing right away!
- The conversion rate of personalized emails is six times more than that of non-personalized emails.
- 61% of people prefer to be approached by businesses via email.
- The average open rate for abandoned cart emails is 45 percent.
- Ecommerce mail ad campaigns observe an average open rate of 16%.
- Email campaigns have a Return on investment of 4400%.
- Segmented Email campaigns observe 760% growth in revenue
- 4% of marketing emails are never delivered or sit in the spam folder.
- Emails with transactional information receive 8 times the number of click rates than other types and generate 6 times the revenue.
- Email marketing accounts for 20% of all traffic that leads to eCommerce sales.
- In a study carried out by OPtinMonster, 60 % of the respondents claimed to have made a purchasing decision as a result of receiving a promo email.
E-Commerce UX Statistics
If your product is excellent but your e-commerce store is not, you are bound to lose tons of thousands of potential customers. If you wish to have a healthy relationship with your customers from the beginning, start investing in Customers’ User Experience. This set of UX statistics is sure to give you a lot of insights. Read on to know more.
- Guest checkout is not a notable option on 72 percent of eCommerce websites. Be ready to get a lot of abandoned shopping carts if your business doesn’t have a notable guest checkout option
- 80 percent of buyers will avoid making a purchase from a site with a difficult return policy.
- As we know the majority of buyers (53%) prefer to pay via their credit cards, make sure your website has this payment gateway option along with others like PayPal, Apple pay, etc.
- CTA button is missing from 70% of e-commerce sites.
- 70% of total e-commerce revenue is generated via smartphones, make sure your website is optimized to look great on any device.
- A study done by drift reveals that nearly 50% of people would buy products from a website’s chatbot.
- Personalization improves customer relationships, according to 98% of e-commerce businesses. Amazon has an AI-based product recommendation system that plays a major role in personalization and driving sales.
- Due to insufficient personalization, e-commerce businesses all over the globe lost $756 billion in 2021.
E-Commerce Social Media Statistics
- e-commerce stores with a social media presence generate 32% more sales.
- Short-form social media posts (<80 characters) get a 65.8% higher engagement rate.
- eCommerce websites create five posts each week on average
- Instagram referred buyers have the highest average order value at $65. Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube follow with $55, $46, and $38 respectively.
- Influencer marketing will be worth $15 billion in 2022, Make use of Influencers on various social media to drive traffic to your web store.
- Business Gains $6.50 on average for every $1 spent on an influencer marketing campaign.
- Nearly 75% of buyers depend on social media platforms to make purchasing decisions.
- 89% of marketers prefer Instagram for influencer marketing campaigns.
- Facebook has the most share of e-commerce orders with 85%
- Social media posts with pictures get a higher engagement rate. They get over 50% extra likes, 85% CTR and more than 100% comments. Are you getting why Instagram is so popular among marketers?
- Over 90% of businesses use social media to serve customers and give post-sales services.
- Social media drives 55% of smartphone shoppers to make a purchasing decision.
- 1.5 billion people globally use social media as a source of inspiration for their shopping.
E-Commerce Growth Statistics
E-commerce has been growing exponentially, especially after riding the covid wave. Although the pandemic wave has stopped, e-commerce is here to stay. This set of e-commerce growth statistics will help you understand the trends and forecasts of e-commerce over the years.
- Currently standing at $4.9 trillion, worldwide e-commerce sales are expected to grow to $6.54 trillion in 2022.
- India will see exponential growth in the e-commerce sector in the coming years.
- The Philippines and India lead the way for retail e-commerce sales.
|Country||Growth in retail e-commerce|
|United States of America||15.9%|
- It is expected that Turkey will have the highest CAg (compound annual growth) from 2020-24 in the retail e-commerce sector.
- The e-commerce growth is so exponential that it is expected to account for 95% of retail purchases globally by 2040.
- E-commerce is expected to account for 24.5% of global retail sales.
E-Commerce Shopping Cart Statistics
This set of statistics deals with customer behavior. If you wish to personalize your e-commerce platform. Take a note of these figures.
- 23% of shoppers will abandon their cart if there is no guest checkout option.
- 20% of smart speaker users use the device to make purchases. This si is also known as voice commerce.
- Mobile shoppers abandon carts the most (79%), Tablets and Desktop PCs follow with 70 and 67 percent respectively.
- 85% of online buyers do their research before making a purchase.
- More than 45% of SMEs claim to have higher sales and thus increased profits when they offer free shipping to customers.
- 24% of buyers are willing to spend more to get free shipping.
- 73% of buyers are more likely to make a purchase if free shipping is included.
- Nearly 35% of shoppers say that they favor discounts over free shipping.
- Businesses offering free shipping have 20% higher CR.
- #1 reason for cart abandonment is higher additional costs (Shipping fee, convenience fee, etc.)
- GenX has the highest number of e-commerce transactions averaging 19 per year.
- The automotive industry has a cart abandonment rate of 89.11%, the highest. Airlines and the Fashion industry follow with 88.87% and 88.57% respectively.
- Popups while exiting have saved 53% of buyers abandoning their carts.
- E-commerce websites that load slowly have a 75% increased cart abandonment rate.
Gender-Specific E-commerce Statistics
This set of statistics has gender-related information as of 2022.
- 85% of males purchase online, while 77% of females make an online purchase.
- Females buy 7 times a year on average while men buy 5.4 times.
- Males spend $11 USD extra on every purchase.
- Males make search by product while women search by brands.
- 65% of males are affected by discount codes while 55% of women are affected by the same.
- Females are affected more by marketing emails (14%) than males (8%).
US Specific E-Commerce Statistics
This set of US-specific e-commerce statistics will give you insights into its e-commerce scene.
- Retail e-commerce revenue in the US is estimated to be $1.3 trillion by 2025.
- 46% of buyers in the USA always research online before making a purchase.
- #1 reason to make an online purchase in the US is the home delivery service.
- Clothing is the most returned product type in the US.
- A smartphone is the #1 device used to make an online purchase in the United States.
- Amazon is the leading e-commerce company in the USA.
- Kroger is the leading food e-commerce store in the USA.
- Macy’s is the leading e-commerce departmental store in the US.
- 46% of American SMEs don’t have a website.
- 25% of buyers in the USA refer to social media platforms to search for gifts.
- 84% of buyers in the USA check a brand’s social media before making a purchase.
Shopify Specific Ecommerce Statistics
In this category, I will take you through some important Shopify-related statistics as of 2022.
- 5,798,212 websites have been made using Shopify to date.
- Out of those 5.7 million, 4,074,125 Shopify websites are live as of July 2022.
- Currently, 37,411 websites in India are using Shopify
- The USA has the most number of websites running on Shopify
- There are 12,845 currently using Shopify plus.
Here is the list of top 10 countries that have the most Shopify websites as of July 2022:
- Fashion is the most popular category found on websites using Shopify
Here is the table showing the top 10 categories found on websites using Shopify:
|Groceries and Food||25,832|
WooCommerce Specific Statistics
Here are some exclusive statistics associated with Woocommerce
- 6,579,468 websites have been made using Woocommerce to date.
- Out of those 6.5 million, 3,780,663 Woocommerce websites are live as of July 2022.
- Currently, 1,976,858 websites in the United States are using Woocommerce.
- The USA has the most number of websites running on Woocommerce.
Here is the list of top 10 countries that have the most Woocommerce websites as of July 2022:
Conclusion: Ecommerce Statistics (2022)
This is my set of 100+ up-to-date e-commerce statistics. If you are a business looking to scale your operations online, do it right away, you won’t regret the decision. Platforms like Shopify are an excellent place to set up your e-commerce store at.