Officially bought and launched by Google in the year 2005, Android users reached 5 million users after seven years of popularity. Today, it is most widely used by mobile phone users from all over the world with 3.3 billion users.
All the top companies like Samsung, LG, Xiaomi, Oppo, and Vivo use the Android operating system. With the operating system’s growth, Google claimed more of its control over Android. Hence, most Android apps include Google suites.
In this blog post, we’ll be diving deep into the current state of Android, examining everything from market share and device usage to app downloads and revenue. We’ll explore the latest trends and insights, including how users are engaging with Android devices and the types of apps that are dominating the platform. With this information, developers can stay on top of the latest trends and deliver the best possible user experiences. And for users, understanding the current landscape of the Android ecosystem can help them make informed decisions about which devices and apps to choose.
Android Statistics: At A Glance
Explore the latest trends and insights on the dominant Android operating system with up-to-date statistics.
- There are 3.3 billion Android OS users in the world as of 2023.
- Android has a 71.8% mobile operating systems’ market share globally.
- Android 12.0.0_r46 (SSV1.210916.062) is the latest version of Andriod OS which was released on April 10, 2023.
- Samsung owns more than 34% share of the Android market.
- 1.57 billion Android devices were sold in 2022.
- 96.9% of apps available on the Android app store (Google play store) are free.
|Launched on.||23 September 2008|
|Founder||Andy Rubin, Rich Miner, Nick Sears, and Chris White.|
|Headquarters||Menlo Park, California|
|Number of Users||3.3 billion|
|Latest Version||Android 12|
|Market Share of OS||71.8%|
How Many People Use Android?
- Over 3.3 billion people use Android worldwide as of now. This number was 3 billion in 2021
The following table displays the number of Android users worldwide.
|Year||The Number Of Android Users Per Year.|
Source: Business of Apps.
- Android became the most popular mobile operating system in the year 2014. Within one year of its launch, it reached 1 billion users worldwide.
What Percentage Of Phones Use Android?
- 71.74% of mobile phones use the Android operating system as of 2023. Besides, iOS is used by 27.63% of mobile phones.
The following table displays the percentage of phones that uses different operating systems.
|Operating System||Percentage Of Mobile Devices|
Source: Stats counter.
Android Market Share
- Android owns 71.8% of the market share of operating systems as of the 4th quarter of the year 2022. While in the 4th quarter of the year 2021, Android owned 70.62% of the market share.
The following table displays the percentage of the market share owned by Android over the past years.
- Android has more than 85% of the market in Brazil, India, Indonesia, Vietnam, and Turkey.
Android Market Share US
- Android has always owned a market share less than iOS in the United States. In the 2nd Quarter of the year 2022, iOS owned 56.6% of the operating systems market share, while Android owned just 43% of the market share.
The following table displays the market share owned by Android in the United States over the past years.
Android vs iOS Market Share.
- Android dominates the global market of operating systems. In quarter 4 of the year 2022, Android owned 72.1 % of the market share, while iOS owned just 27.2% of the market share.
Let us take a look at the market share owned by Android and iOS over the past years.
|Q4 2021||70 %||29.2%|
Android Shipment Statistics
- Android users have increased tremendously year by year. The yearly shipment of Android peaked in the year 2018. However, it again declined in the later year.
The following table displays the annual Android shipment from the year 2012 to the year 2021.
Android Vendor Market Share
- Samsung has been the leading vendor in the market since the early days of Android, and even today, it performs great. Besides, Xiaomi owns 14.5% of the market share and has been performing well since its launch.
The following table displays the market share of the Android vendor market.
Source: Business of Apps.
- 2.67 million apps are available in the Google play store as of March 2023.
The following table displays the number of apps available on the Google play store over the years:
|Month, Year||Number of Apps on Google Play Store|
- Out of all the apps available on the Google Play store, TikTok is the most downloaded app worldwide, with approximately 24 million downloads. It is followed by Instagram and Whatsapp messenger with 21.17 million and 20.72 million, respectively.
The following table displays the number of leading Android apps in the Google Play store worldwide as of September 2022.
|Application||Number Of Application Downloads|
|WhatsApp Messenger||20.72 million|
|Stumble Guys||17.51 million|
|Stick War: Hero Tower Defense||15.07 million|
|Amazon Shopping||13.69 million|
|WhatsApp Business||12.87 million|
|CapCut-Video Editor||12.38 million|
- On the other hand, the leading Android app in terms of revenue on the Google Play store is Coin Master as of September 2022. The revenue generated by Coin Master was $47.96 million.
The following table displays the revenue generated by the leading apps on the Google Play store.
|Coin Master||47.96 million|
|Candy Crush Suga||38.67 million|
|Royal Match||12.36 million|
|Garena Free Fire: 5th Anniv||12.02 million|
|Pokemon Go||11.19 million|
|Tinder: Dating app. Meet. Chat||10.55 million|
|Envoy: The King’s Return||10.43 million|
|PUBG Mobile||9.97 million|
- As of April 2023, almost 97% of all apps on Android are available for free, while only 3.1% of the apps on the play store are paid apps.
The following table displays the distribution of paid and free apps available on Google play from June 2019 to April 2023.
|Month, Year||Paid Apps||Free Apps|
- The share of Android smartphones decreased Worldwide in the year 2022. It was the second consecutive decrease in the sales of Android smartphones after the year 2021. In the year 2021, overall, 83.32% of the smartphones sold ran on the Android operating system.
The following table displays the Android OS market share of smartphone sales to end users from 2009 to 2021.
|Year||Share Of Smartphone Sales|
- Telegram Statistics
- Quora Statistic
- Chatbot Statistics
- Spotify Stats
- Clubhouse Statistics
- Disney Users
Conclusion: Android Statistics (2023)
That’s all about Android Statistics.
With the increasing popularity of iOS devices, it will be interesting to see if iOS devices overtake the number of Android devices in the coming future.
Do you use Android devices or iOS devices? And why do you prefer using it? Let us know in the comment section below.
You can check out our website for more updated articles and the latest information if you have enjoyed reading the above article.