TikTok is one of the most popular social media platforms, with 1.1 billion active users spread across 160 countries. TikTok initially launched in China in 2016 when it was referred to as Douyin; the main boost happened in 2017 when Bytedance decided to roll the app out of the Chinese market to serve other countries, including the United States, which now has 150 million TikTok users.
If you are a marketer who is looking to cater to a global audience, TikTok is one of the best social media to target.
So, how do you go about planning your marketing strategy? Well, it starts here. Our statistical post gives you the most updated insights on TikTok’s demographics, financials, and trends for 2023.
So, without further due, let’s get into it.
TikTok Statistics 2023 (Top Picks)
- TikTok has over 1.677 billion users globally, out of which 1.1 billion are its monthly active users.
- The United States has over 150 million TikTok users.
- TikTok registered a revenue of $9.4 billion in the first three quarters of 2023.
- TikTok ads can potentially reach 1.081 billion adults over the age of 18 each month.
- TikTok’s userbase consists of 49.2% Females and 50.8% Males.
- Over 1 billion videos are viewed on TikTok every day.
- There are over 5 million businesses and countless small businesses on TikTok.
- TikTok has been downloaded over 4.7 billion times to date. It was downloaded 770 million times globally in the first quarter of 2023 alone.
- Advertisers can reach around 885 million users aged 18 and above on TikTok.
1. How Many TikTok Users Are There?
TikTok has 1.67 billion active users as of Q3 2023.
Note: These are the overall active users and not monthly; if you want insights on MAUs, scroll down to Stat no #2.
Here is a table showing TikTok’s Users Over the years:
However, not all of the users are TikTok’s MAUs. Let us take you through TikTok’s Monthly Active Users in detail below.
2. TikTok Monthly Active Users
As per the latest available data, TikTok has 1.1 billion monthly active users.
TikTok user count took a huge hit back in 2020 when it had to withdraw from the Indian market. India alone had 200 million active TikTok users back then!
3. United States Has The Most TikTok Users
With 150 million users, The United States has the most number of TikTok users as of 2023. That is nearly half of the country’s population!
Indonesia comes in the second spot with 113 million users.
Here is a table showing the countries with the most TikTok users:
|Country||Number of TikTok Users|
|United States||150 million|
|Saudi Arabia||28.37 million|
Quick Fact: TikTok had 200 million users in India before it was banned in June 2020!
4. TikTok Users By Gender
There is an even gender split among TikTok’s users, with 49.2% of the users being females and 50.8% being males.
Here is a table showing TikTok’s gender demographics:
|Gender||Share Of Users|
5. The majority of TikTok users are between the ages of 18 to 34.
This shows that TikTok is a very popular platform with younger generations. The share of TikTok users decreases in size as age groups advance, with only 29.8% of users being above the age of 35.
Here is a table showing TikTok’s user base based on age:
|Age||Share of Users|
6. TikTok Users By Age and Gender
Women between the ages of 18 and 24 made up 21% of TikTok’s worldwide users, while male users from the same age group made up around 17.5% of the platform’s audience.
Here is a table showing the complete breakdown of TikTok users based on their age and gender:
7. TikTok Revenue Statistics
TikTok registered a revenue of $9.37 billion as of Q3 2023.
This growth is driven by several factors, including its growing user base, especially in the United States, its innovative advertising platform, and its expansion into new markets.
TikTok registered a revenue of $9.401 billion in 2022. that is a literal 100% increase from 2021.
Here is a table showing TikTok’s Quarterly Revenue From 2017 to 2023:
|Q1 2017||$11 million|
|Q2 2017||$13 million|
|Q3 2017||$15 million|
|Q4 2017||$23 million|
|Q1 2018||$29 million|
|Q2 2018||$29 million|
|Q3 2018||$43 million|
|Q4 2018||$49 million|
|Q1 2019||$56 Million|
|Q2 2019||$65 million|
|Q3 2019||$82 million|
|Q4 2019||$167 million|
|Q1 2020||$347 million|
|Q2 2020||$638 million|
|Q3 2020||$778 million|
|Q4 2020||$883 million|
|Q1 2021||$814 million|
|Q2 2021||$1.1 billion|
|Q3 2021||$1.20 billion|
|Q4 2021||$1.58 billion|
|Q1 2022||$1.73 billion|
|Q2 2022||$2.13 billion|
|Q3 2022||$2.56 billion|
|Q4 2022||$2.96 billion|
|Q1 2023||$2.84 billion|
|Q2 2023||$2.99 billion|
|Q3 2023||$3.54 billion|
Source: Business Of Apps
8. TikTok In-App Purchase Revenue
TikTok generated $1.97 billion in the first three quarters of 2023.
Out of this amount, $617.38 million came in Q1, $671.65 million came in Q2, and $680.74 million came in Q3.
TikTok’s highest quarterly IAP income to date came in the most recent quarter.
Here is a table showing TikTok’s in-app purchase income over the years:
|Year||TikTok In App Revenue|
|2023 Q3||$680.74 million|
|2023 Q2||$671.65 million|
|2023 Q1||$617.38 million|
|2022 Q4||$660.16 million|
|2022 Q3||$661.22 million|
|2022 Q2||$614.87 million|
|2022 Q1||$594.83 million|
|2021 Q4||$606.34 million|
|2021 Q3||$407.01 million|
|2021 Q2||$382.11 million|
|2021 Q1||$285.98 million|
|2020 Q4||$286.16 million|
|2020 Q3||$274.36 million|
|2020 Q2||$230.34 million|
|2020 Q1||$143.38 million|
|2019 Q4||$73.39 million|
|2019 Q3||$34.98 million|
|2019 Q2||$22.67 million|
9. TikTok Consumers Spent $1 Billion In A Single Quarter Of 2023
TikTok generated $1 billion in customer spendings In Q1 2023. This achievement has made it the first app in history to surpass $1 billion in customer spending in a single quarter.
- TikTok users have spent over $7 billion on TikTok to date. It is the second non-gaming app to achieve this feat.
- The United States is TikTok’s largest market in terms of in-app consumer spending. In the fourth quarter of 2022, American customers accounted for 37% of total in-app spending.
- China is TikTok’s second-highest revenue contributor.
Here is a table showing consumer spending on TikTok over the years:
|Quarter 1 2020||$188 million|
|Quarter 2 2020||$343 million|
|Quarter 3 2020||$380 million|
|Quarter 4 2020||$382 million|
|Quarter 1 2021||$385 million|
|Quarter 2 2021||$535 million|
|Quarter 3 2021||$532 million|
|Quarter 4 2021||$824 million|
|Quarter 1 2022||$646.2 million|
|Quarter 2 2022||$720.5 million|
|Quarter 3 2022||$914.4 million|
|Quarter 4 2022||$832.8 million|
|Quarter 1 2023||$1 billion|
Source: Business Of Apps
10. TikTok Penetration Statistics
Saudi Arabia has the highest TikTok penetration rate. Followed by UAE and Malaysia.
Here is a table showing the countries with the most TikTok penetration rate as of 2023:
|United Arab Emirates*||104.7%|
* indicate that values may exceed 100% due to duplicate & fake accounts, incorrect user answers, and different research dates.
- TikTok is used by 30.25% of the world’s 5.3 billion internet users.
- TikTok is used on a regular basis by 22.32% of the 4.9 billion active social media users.
Here is a table showing TikTok’s penetration in World Regions:
|World Region||Penetration Rate|
|Middle East and Africa||8.7%|
11. How Much Time Do TikTok Users Spend On The Platform?
TikTok users spend a significant amount of time on the app, with an average of 95 minutes daily. This equates to an average of 6.06 hours per week and 26 hours per month. Over a lifetime, TikTok users can spend as much as 2.3 years on the app.
Average TikTok users also open the application around 9 times every day!
Here is a breakdown showing how much time a TikTok user spends on the platform:
- The Time spent on TikTok has drastically increased since 2019. Back in 2019, TikTok users used to spend around 1,025 minutes each month on the platform. Now, in 2023, They spend around 1,560 minutes.
Here is a table showing the average monthly time spent on TikTok:
|Time||Average Time spent monthly|
|October 2019||442.9 minutes|
|November 2019||526.1 minutes|
|December 2019||561.2 minutes|
|January 2020||680 minutes|
|February 2020||731.6 minutes|
|March 2020||858 minutes|
|January 2023||1025 minutes|
|November 2023||1560 minutes|
12. TikTok’s Rank Among Other Social Media Platforms
TikTok is the 6th most popular social media in the world in terms of MAUs.
TikTok will soon overtake WeChat and get to the 5th position. Currently, it is a tie between the two with the same number of MAUs
Here is the breakdown of the top social media worldwide by the number of users:
|Social Media Platform||Number of MAUs|
|Facebook Messenger||988 million|
|Sina Weibo||573 million|
13. TikTok Has Been Downloaded More Than 4.7 Billion Times To Date
TikTok is only the second app after Facebook to cross 3 billion all-time downloads. As per the latest reports, TikTok was downloaded 770 million times globally in the first three quarters of 2023.
The real boom in TikTok’s downloads came in 2018 when the app was downloaded over 650 million times. That was a 398% increase from 2017!
Below are additional facts and figures about TikTok downloads
- TikTok was the most downloaded application of 2022, with 879.2 million global downloads.
- Colombia is the country with the highest growth in TikTok downloads from the Apple app store in the second quarter of 2022.
- Recent market data reveal that TikTok saw a global decline in quarterly downloads during the 2nd quarter of 2022, with a reduction of 37%. Finland saw the most decline with -27%
- The overall number of TikTok downloads has surpassed 3 billion
- TikTok was the most downloaded non-gaming application in the first half of 2021, with 383 million downloads between January and June.
- TikTok was in the top spot last year by a huge margin of 111 million downloads. The second-place Instagram had 545 million downloads in 2021.
- TikTok is the first non-Facebook app to surpass the 3 billion download milestone.
- TikTok has over 1 billion downloads on the Google Play Store alone.
Here is the breakdown of TikTok downloads over the years:
|Year||Number of Downloads|
|2023 (As of Q3)||770 million|
14. TikTok Download Statistics by Region
- As per the latest available iOS data, Colombia was the top country to download TikTok.
Below is the complete breakdown of TikTok downloads on iOS by country:
|Country||Growth From the Second Quarter|
- Android smartphones have accounted for more than 90% of TikTok downloads. The one exception is in the United States of America, where there are more iOS users downloading the app.
- TikTok is the most downloaded application of all time.
15. Best Time To Post On TikTok
After going through various case studies, we came to the conclusion that the best time to post on TikTok is 9 a.m. EST on Tuesdays, 12 a.m. EST on Thursdays, and 5 a.m. EST on Fridays!
The best time to go live on TikTok is 9 am to 11 am EST from Monday to Friday. You can also go live after 7 PM EST on these days.
Source: Demandsage Study
16. TikTokers view 167 million hours of video in one internet minute
Statista compiled global online media use for one “internet minute.”
- According to the study, TikTok users view 167 million hours of videos in a single minute. That is quite astonishing!
17. Most Popular Category on TikTok
Entertainment is the most popular category on TikTok. This category, apparently, comprises all of the lip-synching videos.
Dance is the second most popular, followed by Pranks in third.
Below is the overview of the most popular categories on TikTok as of 2023:
|Category||Popularity by Hashtag Search|
|Home reno/D.I.Y.||39 Billion|
|Life hacks/advice||13 Billion|
18. TikTok Has The Highest Social Media Engagement Rate Per Post
The engagement rate for micro-influencers is 17.96%, which is 4.5 times more than Instagram and 11 times more than YouTube!
Here is a table showing the engagement rate of different types of influencers on TikTok and its competitors:
(less than 15K followers)
(500k – 1 mil. followers)
(Over 1 mil. followers)
Read about earnings in the influencer industry in general and discover insights from top creators in the industry!
19. TikTok Usage Statistics
- TikTok has an average session length of 10.85 minutes.
- TikTok users in the United States spend 68 minutes each day using the app.
20. TikTok Interaction Statistics
- In the United States, the typical individual accesses the TikTok app nine times each day.
- Between 2017 and 2019, TikTok participation in the United States surged by 1.533%.
- Users on TikTok with 100,000+ followers get the most engagement.
- Below is the table for the top 5 countries in terms of Engagement.
|Year||Usage per day|
|United States||68 minutes|
|United Kingdom||60 minutes|
21. 55.3% Of TikTok Creators Are Female
Even though a TikTok user is more likely to be a man, the chances of a creator being a female are more!
Men make up less than 45% of the overall creator population on the platform.
22. Majority Of TikTok Creators Fall Between The 18 to 24 Age Group
The predominant age range among TikTok content creators fell between 18 and 24 years, constituting nearly half of the platform’s creators.
About 7% of the total creators were under 13 years old. Although TikTok doesn’t impose registration restrictions for users aged 13 to 18, those under 13 in the United States are required to use the platform’s “Younger Users” version.
23. Khaby Lame Has The Most Number Of TikTok Followers
Khaby Lame is the most followed TikTok Creator, with 155.8 million followers.
After being number one for 819 days, Charlie D’Amelio lost the top spot to Khaby Lame on 22 June 2022. Now she is the second most followed person on TikTok with 150.4 million followers.
Here is the list of the most followed TikTok stars as of November 2023:
24. 75% of Users Say That TikTok Helps Them Find New Songs
As per TikTok Newsroom, 75% of users say that TikTok helps them find new songs. 73% of people even associate specific songs with the platform. Many of these songs achieved mainstream success as well; in 2022, around 175 songs trended on TikTok and charted on the Billboard Hot 100.
While browsing TikTok, many people stumble upon a trending sound that they like. To find that song and its artist, people explore options like Shazam or humm the tune in Google Assistant. Once they have it, they add it to their library on platforms like Spotify and Apple Music.
However, TikTok is looking to expand its services by capitalizing on the moment people discover music. It aims to encourage users to use its own platform, TikTok Music, instead of others mentioned previously. more on this topic in the next stat
Source: Music Business Worldwide
25. TikTok Music Statistics
TikTok Music is a new subscription-based music streaming platform. The service was first launched in Indonesia and Brazil, and now users in Australia, Mexico, and Singapore can also access it.
Participants will receive a three-month free trial for the TikTok Music service.
Users can join the beta by downloading the TikTok Music app, either by visiting music.tiktok.com, or directly from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
26. TikTok First-Time Installs
186 million people installed TikTok for the first time in Q4 2022.
27. TikTok Users are Enjoying Longer Videos
TikTok initially was a Short video-sharing platform, but things have changed recently. Users can now upload videos up to 10 minutes long.
TikTok’s audience not only accepts this idea, but they are loving it. TikTok users in the USA, UK, Japan, Vietnam, Brazil, and Thailand are enjoying this shift the most.
28. TikTok TV Insights
In November 2021, TikTok introduced, TikTok Tv.
Given that more than 50% of YouTube’s audience watches videos on television, TikTok is likely to see a significant rise in engagement metrics.
29. Finance-related TikTok is surging
Investing-related TikToks, especially in the Cryptocurrency category have seen a surge in popularity. #NFT videos grew in popularity by 93,000%.
1.9 billion #crypto videos were uploaded to TikTok.
Popular hashtags for finance-related stuff are #fintok and #stocktok.
30. TikTok’s Ad reach Is Immense
Ads on TikTok reach 21.30% of internet users who are above 18. That figure translates to 1.081 billion users.
TikTok Ads reach 25% of Female Gen Z users and 17.9% of male Gen Z users.
31. TikTok iOS MAUs and DAUs
TikTok had nearly 120.5 million monthly and 29.7 million daily active users on the iOS platform.
32. TikTok Android MAUs and DAUs
TikTok has nearly 30.19 million monthly and 15.4 million daily active users on the Android platform.
33. TikTok Android Usage
As of November 2023, Android users access TikTok for 19.6 hours every month.
That makes TikTok the top-second app where Android users spend most of their time. Youtube tops the list. Facebook’s numbers are also similar to TikTok so both these platforms share second place.
34. Gen Z Individuals In The USA Use TikTok More Than Instagram
What are Gen Z users? People who are born between the period of 1997 to 2012.
There are 41.4 million Gen Z TikTok users in the USA as compared to 37.3 million Instagram users.
Currently, Snapchat is the most used social media app by Gen Z in the US. It is predicted that by 2023, TikTok will surpass Snapchat too.
35. How Old Is TikTok? (When Was TikTok Created)
TikTok has been around for about 6 years now. The platform will turn 7 years old in September 2023.
It all started back in 2016 when a Chinese company called ByteDance created it, originally naming it Douyin for users in China. A year later, they decided to share the fun with the rest of the world and introduced ‘TikTok’ in 2017. The person behind this idea is Zhang Yiming. It’s really amazing how in just a few years, TikTok has become such a big part of people using social media.
Here is a brief timeline of TikTok over the years:
September 2016: ByteDance launches Douyin, a short-form video app, in China.
September 2017: TikTok is born! ByteDance introduces the app to the global market, outside of China.
November 2017: TikTok merges with lip-syncing app Musical.ly to expand its user base and features.
2018: TikTok gains massive popularity, becoming one of the most downloaded apps worldwide.
June 29, 2020: India bans TikTok along with 58 other Chinese apps, citing data privacy and national security concerns.
October 2020: The United States government raises concerns over TikTok’s data privacy, leading to potential ban talks.
November 2020: Oracle and Walmart strike a deal with ByteDance, forming TikTok Global to address data security concerns in the U.S.
2021: TikTok continues to grow despite the ban in India, reaching over 1 billion monthly active users globally.
2021-2022: TikTok introduces new features, including longer video lengths and eCommerce integrations, further solidifying its market position.
November 2023: TikTok maintains its status as a leading social media platform, continually evolving to meet users’ needs and expectations and standing strong with millions of users worldwide, despite the ongoing ban in India.
36. TikTok Trends
If you want to stay ahead of the curve and reach a wider audience, it’s important to follow the trends. Trends are popular for a reason: they’re engaging, creative, and shareable. Creating TikToks that are relevant to current trends increases your chances of going viral and grabbing more eyeballs.
Here are some trends that you should focus on in the platform:
- Dance challenges. (evergreen trend)
- ASMR videos on various topics.
- Videos on how to “digital nomad“
- AI-generated headshot videos
- Videos on viral meme templates and formats (evergreen trend)
Additional TikTok Statistics:
37. TikTok is the most popular iPhone app in the entertainment category as of January 2023.
38. Despite being banned, India had around 100 million app installs in 2020. We assume that the majority of people who were using TikTok in India before the ban are still using it via a VPN service.
39. Before it was outlawed in India, TikTok had 200 million users.
40. TikTok is available in over 40 languages.
41. Saudi Arabia has the most reach among adults on TikTok.
42. The Chinese version of TikTok boasts 600 million daily active users.
43. TikTok’s parent company, ByteDance, is worth over $275 billion.
44. 9/10 TikTok users use the platform on a daily basis.
45. TikTok was the most downloaded free app on iPhones in 2022.
46. TikTok is facing bans in Universities in the United States (January 2023)
- Spotify Stats
- Telegram Statistics
- Quora Statistics
- Clubhouse Statistics
- eCommerce Statistics
- Chatbot Statistics
- NFT Statistics
- Netflix Subscribers
- Pinterest Statistics
Conclusion: TikTok Statistics (2023)
That is all from our side, folks; TikTok is moving towards a global surge in 2023 as well. There is no sign of stopping anytime soon. As a business, you should take your brand to TikTok if you haven’t already.
Let us know in the comment section about your thoughts on our take on TikTok Statistics; also, let us know about any other interesting statistics you have.
TikTok is owned by ByteDance, a Chinese technology company headquartered in Beijing. Founded in 2012 by Zhang Yiming, ByteDance is now one of the most valuable technology companies in the world.
TikTok’s easy-to-use interface, video editing options, and other interactive features make it a popular social media among masses around the globe.
TikTok does not provide data on its daily active users. However, we have access to its monthly active users data. It reveals that TikTok has 1.06 billion MAUs as of Q1 2023.