With 1 billion active users spread across 154 countries, TikTok is one of the most popular social media platforms as of 2023. TikTok initially launched in China in 2016 when it was referred to as Douyin; the main boost happened in 2017 when Bytedance decided to roll the app out of the Chinese market to serve other countries.
Today, If you are a marketer who is looking to cater to a global audience, TikTok is one of the best Social media to target.
So how do you go about planning your marketing strategy? Well, it starts here. Today’s statistics post gives you the most updated and extensive set of facts and figures related to TikTok.
Let’s get into it, shall we?
TikTok Statistics 2023 (Top Picks)
- TikTok has over 1.53 billion users as of 2023. 1 billion out of those are monthly active users.
- TikTok is used by 30.25% of the world’s internet users.
- Over 3 billion people have downloaded TikTok as of 2023.
- Over 1 billion videos are watched every day on TikTok.
- TikTok is the 6th most popular Social Media in the world.
- In terms of MAUs, TikTok has overtaken Twitter, Telegram, Reddit, Pinterest, and Snapchat.
- Advertisers may reach 885 million users aged 18 and above on TikTok.
1. TikTok Monthly Active Users
Here in this section, we have mentioned the total active users on TikTok.
How Many TikTok Users are There
- As per the company data, Tik Tok has 1.534 billion users out of which 1 billion are monthly active users.
- Only Facebook (2.9 Billion), Youtube (2.5 billion), Whatsapp (2 Billion), Instagram (1.4 Billion), and Wechat (1.2 Billion) have more Monthly Active users than TikTok.
- Below is the table showing the Boost in TikTok users:
|Period||Monthly Users||% increase|
TikTok Penetration Statistics
- TikTok is used by 30.25% of the world’s 5.07 billion internet users.
- TikTok is used on a regular basis by 22.32% of the 4.9 billion active social media users.
2. TikTok’s Rank Among Other Social Media Platforms
Tik Tok is the 6th most popular social media in the world in terms of MAUs.
Here is the breakdown of the top 10 social media in the world by the number of monthly users.
|Tik Tok||1,000 million|
|Facebook Messenger||988 million|
|Sina Weibo||573 million|
3. TikTok Download statistics
Here are the TikTok Download Statistics.
How Many Downloads Does TikTok Have
- Tik Tok was the most downloaded application of 2022 with 672 million global downloads.
- Colombia is the country with the highest growth in TikTok downloads from the Apple app store in the second quarter of 2022.
- Recent market data reveal that TikTok saw a global decline in quarterly downloads during the 2nd quarter of 2022, with a reduction of 37%. Finland saw the most decline with -27%
- The overall number of TikTok downloads has surpassed 3 billion
- TikTok was the most downloaded non-gaming application in the first half of 2021, with 383 million downloads between January and June.
- Tik Tok was in the top spot last year by a huge margin of 111 million downloads. The second-place Instagram had 545 million downloads in 2021.
- TikTok is the first non-Facebook app to surpass the 3 billion download milestone.
- TikTok has over 1 billion downloads on the Google play store alone.
Here is the breakdown of Tik Tok downloads:
|Year||Number of Downloads|
TikTok Download Statistics by Region
- According to google play data as of January 2022, users in Mexico downloaded TikTok more than three million times making it the top country in terms of downloads.
Below is the complete breakdown of TikTok Downloads by country.
|Rank||Country||Downloads in 1000s|
- Android smartphones have accounted for more than 90% of TikTok downloads. The one exception is in the United States of America, where there are more iOS users.
- TikTok is the most downloaded application of all time.
Here is a table showing the most downloaded applocation of all time as of 2023:
*Note: The data is taken from 2010 to 2019*
4. TikTok users spend around 2,700 minutes every month using the app
- An average TikTok user spend around 1.5 hours every day on the platform. That is eqvivalent to 90 minutes in a day.
Here is a breakdown showing how much time a TikTok user spends on the platform:
- The Time spent on TikTok has drastically increased since 2019. Back in 2019, a TikTok users used to spend around 440 minutes each monthon the platform. Now in 2023, They spend around 2700 minutes.
Here is a table showing TikTok user’s average monthly time spent on the platform:
|Time||Average Time spent monthly|
|October 2019||442.9 minutes|
|November 2019||526.1 minutes|
|December 2019||561.2 minutes|
|January 2020||680 minutes|
|February 2020||731.6 minutes|
|March 2020||858 minutes|
|January 2023||2700 minutes|
5. TikTokers view 167 million hours of video in one internet minute
Statista compiled global online media use for one “internet minute”.
- according to the study, TikTok users view 167 million hours of videos in a single minute.
6. Most Popular Category on TikTok
Entertainment is the most popular category on TikTok. This category, apparently, comprises all of the lip-synching videos.
Dance is the second most popular category followed by Pranks on third.
Below is the overview of the most popular categories on TikTok as of 2023:
|Category||Popularity by Hashtag Search|
|Home reno/D.I.Y.||39 Billion|
|Life hacks/advice||13 Billion|
7. TikTok has the highest Social Media engagement rate per post
As per Upfluence Data
The engagement rate for Micro-Influencers on TikTok was:
- 17.96% on TikTok,
- 3.86% on Instagram
- 1.63% on YouTube
The engagement rate for Mega Influencers on TikTok was:
- 4.96% on TikTok
- 1.21% on Instagram
- 0.37% on YouTube.
8. TikTok Usage Statistics
- TikTok users all over the world spend an average of 90 minutes each day on the platform, with 90% of users using it on a regular basis.
- TikTok has an average session length of 10.85 minutes.
- TikTok users in the United States spend 68 minutes each day using the app.
9. TikTok Interaction Statistics
- With an average session length of 10.85 minutes, TikTok is the most engaging social networking app available.
- In the United States, the typical individual uses the TikTok app eight times each day.
- Between 2017 and 2019, TikTok participation in the United States surged by 1.533%.
- Users on TikTok with 100,000+ followers get the most engagement.
- Below is the table for the top 5 countries in terms of Engagement.
|Year||Usage per day|
|United States||68 minutes|
|United Kingdom||60 minutes|
10. TikTok Users by Gender
Tik Tok’s 57% of users are Females and 43% are Males.
Here is a table showing TikTok’s gender demographics:
|Gender||Percentage of users|
11. TikTok users by Age
The majority of TikTok users are between the age of 19 to 29.
Here is a table showing TikTok’s userbase based on age:
|Age||% of users|
12. Most popular TikTok users (2023 Updated)
Khaby Lame is the most followed Tik Tok Creator with 154.1 million followers.
After being number one for 819 days, Charlie D’Amelio lost the top spot to Khaby Lame on 22 June 2022. Now she is the second most followed person on TikTok with 149.5 million followers.
Here is the updated list of Most Followed Tik Tok Stars as of January 2023:
|Khabane Lame||154.1 Million|
|Charli D’Amelio||149.5 Million|
|Bella Poarch||92.7 Million|
|Addison Rae||88.9 Million|
|Will Smith||73.0 Million|
|Zach King||72.5 Million|
|Kimberly Loaiza||71.6 Million|
|Burak Özdemir||67.1 Million|
|The Rock||65.1 Million|
13. Most popular hashtags on TikTok
- #foryou is the most popular hashtag on TikTok as of January 2022, it has been used 1.898 Trillion times to date.
- It’s also interesting to see #TikTokIndia in number 7th position as TikTok was banned in India in 2020.
|Hashtag||Number of times it has been used|
|#tiktok India||369.6 Billion|
14. TikTok Revenue Statistics
TikTok made $1567 million in the third quarter of 2022. This brings TikTok’s total revenue to $4.593 billion as of the first three quarters of 2022. The data for the fourth quarter is yet to be out.
Here is a table showing TikTok’s Quarterly Revenue From 2017 to 2022:
|Q1 2017||$11 Million|
|Q2 2017||$13 Million|
|Q3 2017||$15 Million|
|Q4 2017||$23 Million|
|Q1 2018||29 Million|
|Q2 2018||$29 Million|
|Q3 2018||$43 Million|
|Q4 2018||$49 Million|
|Q1 2019||$56 Million|
|Q2 2019||$65 Million|
|Q3 2019||$82 Million|
|Q4 2019||$167 Million|
|Q1 2020||$347 Million|
|Q2 2020||$638 Million|
|Q3 2020||$778 Million|
|Q4 2020||$883 Million|
|Q1 2021||$814 Million|
|Q2 2021||$1,096 Million|
|Q3 2021||$1,208 Million|
|Q4 2021||$1,579 Million|
|Q1 2022||$1383 Million|
|Q2 2022||$1643 Million|
|Q3 2022||$1567 Million|
- TikTok users spent around $2.3 billion in 2021. This is an increase of 77% Y/Y from $1.3 billion in 2020.
- Despite the fact that China is still TikTok’s largest market in terms of in-app consumer spending, its proportion has shrunk dramatically. In 4Q21, Chinese customers accounted for 57% of in-app spending, whereas in 4Q20, China’s App Store accounted for 85%.
- The United States remained TikTok’s No. 2 income source, with its percentage of expenditure increasing Y/Y. In the fourth quarter of 2021.
- Consumers in the United States spent approximately $110 million on the app, accounting for 13% of total revenue.
|Quarter 1 2020||$188|
|Quarter 2 2020||$343|
|Quarter 3 2020||$380|
|Quarter 4 2020||$382|
|Quarter 1 2021||$385|
|Quarter 2 2021||$535|
|Quarter 3 2021||$532|
|Quarter 4 2021||$824|
15. Tik Tok and Music
As per Tik Tok Newsroom, 75% of users say that the platform helps them find new songs. 73% of people associate specific songs with the platform. Many of these songs achieve mainstream success as well, Last year, 175 songs trended on TikTok and charted on the Billboard Hot 100.
16. 57% of Tik Tok Users Are Women.
As of January 2023, 57% of Tik Tok users are females. So, we already mentioned this statistics before in the post, why mention it again you may ask? the point is that marketers should know that they have to focus a bit extra on the fermale elements of a marketing strategy.
17. Tik Tok First-Time Installs
186 million people installed Tik Tok for the first time in Q4 2022.
18. Tik Tok Users are enjoying longer videos
Tik Tok initially was a Short video-sharing platform but things have changed recently. Users can now upload videos up to 10 minutes long.
Tik Tok’s audience not only accepts this idea but they are loving it. Tik Tok users in the USA, UK, Japan, Vietnam, Brazil, and Thailand are enjoying this shift the most.
19. Tik Tok TV
In November 2021, Tik Tok introduced, TikTok Tv.
Given that more than 50% of YouTube’s audience watch videos on television, TikTok is likely to see a significant rise in engagement metrics.
20. Finance-related Tik Tok is surging
Investing-related Tik Toks, especially in the Cryptocurrency category have seen a surge in popularity. #NFT videos grew in popularity by 93,000%.
1.9 billion #crypto videos were uploaded to Tik Tok.
Popular hashtags for finance-related stuff are #fintok and #stocktok.
21. Consumer Spending on Tik Tok App.
Tik Tok users spent $2.3 billion US dollars on the platform in 2021.
This number was $1.3 billion in 2020.
Other apps on the list are Youtube on #2, Tinder on #3, Disney+ on #4, and Tencent Video on #5.
22. Tik Tok’s Ad reach
Ads on Tik Tok reach 17.9% of internet users who are above 18. That figure translates to 885 million users.
Tik Tok Ads reach 25% of Female Gen Z users and 17.9% of male Gen Z users.
23. Tik Tok iOS MAUs and DAUs
TikTok had nearly 120.5 million monthly active users on the iOS platform.
The Number of DAUs is 29.7 million.
24. Tik Tok Android MAUs and DAUs
TikTok has nearly 30.19 million monthly active users on the Android platform.
The Number of DAUs is 15.4 million.
25. Tik Tok Android Usage
As of January 2022, Android users access Tik Tok for 19.6 hours every month.
That makes Tik Tok the top second app where android users spend most of their time. Youtube tops the list. Facebook’s numbers are also similar to Tik Tok so both these platforms share second place.
26. Gen Z users in the USA use Tik Tok more than Instagram
What are Gen Z users? People who are born between the period of 1997 to 2012.
There are 41.4 million Gen Z Tik Tok users in the USA as compared to 37.3 million Instagram users.
Currently, Snapchat is the most used social media app by Gen Z in the US. It is predicted that by 2023, Tik Tok will surpass Snapchat too.
Additional Tik Tok Statistics As of January 2023:
27. Tik Tok is the most popular iPhone app in the entertainment category as of January 2023.
28. Despite being banned, India had around 100 million app installs in 2020. We assume that majority of people that were using TikTok in India before the ban is still using it via a VPN service.
29. Before it was outlawed in India, TikTok had 200 million users.
30. TikTok is available in over 40 languages.
31. Saudi Arabia has the most reach among adults on TikTok.
32. The Chinese version of TikTok, boasts 600 million daily active users.
33. TikTok’s parent company ByteDance is worth over $275 billion.
34. 9/10 TikTok users use the platform on a daily basis.
35. Tik Tok was the most downloaded free app on iPhones in 2022.
36. TikTok is facing bans in Universities in the United States (January 2023)
Conclusion: TikTok Statistics (2023)
That is all from our side, folks, TikTok is moving towards a global surge in 2023 as well. There is no sign of stopping anytime soon. As a business, you should take your brand to TikTok if you haven’t already.
Let us know in the comment section about your thoughts on our take on TikTok Statistics; also, let us know about any other interesting statistics that you have.