One billion active users spread across 154 countries make TikTok one of the most popular social media platforms as of 2022. Although TikTok was launched in China in 2016 when it was referred to as Douyin, the main boost happened in 2017 when it got out of the Chinese market to serve other countries.
Today, If you are a marketer who is looking to cater to a global audience, TikTok is one of the best Social media to target. It is the best Social Media when it comes to short-form videos.
So how do you go about planning your marketing strategy? Well, it starts here. In Today’s statistics post, we are giving you the most updated and extensive set of facts and figures related to TikTok. Even if you are an enthusiast and have got nothing to do with selling stuff, or you are just a nerd who is looking to consume Data, you’re in for a treat.
Let’s get into it, shall we?
TikTok Statistics 2022 (Top Picks)
- TikTok is the 6th most popular Social Media in the world.
- In Quarter 1 of 2022, TikTok had over 1 billion monthly active users, with 1.8 billion predicted by the end of 2022.
- Over 3 billion people have downloaded TikTok to date.
- The globe has 4.8 Billion internet users, and TikTok is used by 20.83 percent of them.
- In terms of MAUs, TikTok has overtaken Twitter, Telegram, Reddit, Pinterest, and Snapchat.
- Over 1 billion videos are watched every day on TikTok.
- Advertisers may reach 885 million users aged 18 and above* on TikTok as of January 2022.
1. TikTok Monthly Active Users (August 2022)
Here in this section, we have mentioned the total active users on TikTok.
How Many TikTok Users are There
- As per the company data, Tik Tok has 1.39 billion users out of which 1 billion are monthly active users.
- Only Facebook (2.9 Billion), Youtube (2.5 billion), Whatsapp (2 Billion), Instagram (1.4 Billion), and Wechat (1.2 Billion) have more Monthly Active users than TikTok.
- Below is the table showing the Boost in TikTok users since 2018.
|Period||Monthly Users||% increase|
|December 2018||271,188,301||394.9% increase|
|December 2019||507,552,660||87.2% increase|
|July 2020||689,174,209||35.8% increase|
|September 2021||1,000,000,000||45.1% increase|
|January 2022||1,398,000,000||39.8% increase|
TikTok Penetration Statistics
- TikTok is used by 20.83% of the world’s 4.8 billion internet users.
- TikTok is used on a regular basis by 22.32% of the 4.48 billion active social media users.
2. TikTok’s Rank Among Other Social Media Platforms
Tik Tok is the 6th most popular social media in the world in terms of MAUs.
Here is the breakdown of the top 10 social media in the world by the number of monthly users.
|Tik Tok||1,000 million|
|Facebook Messenger||988 million|
|Sina Weibo||573 million|
3. TikTok Download statistics
Here are the TikTok Download Statistics.
How Many Downloads Does TikTok Have
- Tik Tok is the most downloaded application in the first quarter of 2022.
- Tik Tok was also the most downloaded application of 2021 with 656 million global downloads.
- The overall number of TikTok downloads has surpassed 3 billion
- TikTok was the most downloaded non-gaming application in the first half of 2021, with 383 million downloads between January and June.
- Tik Tok was in the top spot last year by a huge margin of 111 million downloads. The second-place Instagram had 545 million downloads in 2021.
- TikTok is the first non-Facebook app to surpass the 3 billion download milestone.
- TikTok has over 1 billion downloads on the Google play store alone.
Here is the breakdown of Tik Tok downloads:
|Year||Number of Downloads|
|2022 (Q1)||188 million|
TikTok Download Statistics by Region
- According to google play data as of January 2022, users in Mexico downloaded TikTok more than three million times making it the top country in terms of downloads.
Below is the complete breakdown of TikTok Downloads by country.
|Rank||Country||Downloads in 1000s|
- Android smartphones have accounted for more than 90% of TikTok downloads. The one exception is in the United States of America, where there are more iOS users.
- TikTok stands 7th in terms of all-time downloads.
*Note: The data is taken from 2010 to 2019*
4. TikTok users spend around 850 minutes every month using the app
- The average time spent on TikTok each month is 858 minutes.
Below is the breakdown of the same since 2019
|Time||Avg. Time spent monthly|
|October 2019||442.9 minutes|
|November 2019||526.1 minutes|
|December 2019||561.2 minutes|
|January 2020||680 minutes|
|February 2020||731.6 minutes|
|March 2020||858 minutes|
5. TikTokers view 167 million hours of video in one internet minute
Statista compiled global online media use for one “internet minute” in August of 2021.
In a single minute, TikTok users view 167 million hours of videos, according to the study.
6. Most Popular Category on TikTok
Entertainment is the most popular category on TikTok. This category, apparently, comprises all of the lip-synching videos.
Dance is the second most popular category followed by Pranks on third.
Below is the overview of the most popular categories on TikTok
|Category||Popularity by Hashtag Search (Billions)|
|Home reno/D.I.Y.||39 Billion|
|Life hacks/advice||13 Billion|
7. TikTok has the highest Social Media engagement rate per post
As per Upfluence Data
- The engagement rate for Micro-Influencers was
- 17.96% on TikTok,
- 3.86% on Instagram
- 1.63% on YouTube
- The engagement rate for Mega Influencers
- 4.96% on TikTok
- 1.21% on Instagram
- 0.37% on YouTube.
8. TikTok Usage Statistics
- TikTok users all over the world spend an average of 52 minutes each day on the platform, with 90% of users using it on a regular basis.
- TikTok has an average session length of 10.85 minutes.
- TikTok users in the United States spend 33 minutes each day using the app.
9. TikTok Interaction Statistics
- With an average session length of 10.85 minutes, TikTok is the most engaging social networking app available.
- In the United States, the typical individual uses the TikTok app eight times each day.
- Between 2017 and 2019, TikTok participation in the United States surged by 1.533%.
- Users on TikTok with 100,000+ followers get the most engagement.
- Below is the table for the top 5 countries in terms of Engagement.
|Year||Usage per day|
|United States||68 minutes|
|United Kingdom||60 minutes|
10. TikTok Users by Gender
Of the 1 Billion MAUs, Tik Tok’s 57% of users are Females and 43% are Males.
|Gender||Percentage of users|
11. TikTok users by Age
The majority of TikTok users are between the age of 19 to 29
|Age||% of users|
12. Most popular TikTok users August 2022
Khaby Lame is the most followed Tik Tok Creator as of July 2022 with 145.4 million followers.
After being number one for 819 days, Charlie D’Amelio lost the top spot to Khaby Lame on 22 June 2022.
Here is the updated list of Most Followed Tik Tok Stars as of August 2022:
|Account Owners||Followers(in millions)|
13. Most popular hashtags on TikTok August 2022
- #foryou is the most popular hashtag on TikTok as of June 2022, it has been used 1.898 Trillion times to date.
- It’s also interesting to see #TikTokIndia in number 7th position as TikTok was banned in India in 2020.
|Hashtag||Number of times it has been used|
|#tiktok India||369.6 Billion|
14. TikTok Revenue Statistics
- TikTok made $1643 million in the second quarter of 2022.
Here is a table showing TikTok’s Quarterly Revenue From 2017-2022
|Q1 2017||$11 Million|
|Q2 2017||$13 Million|
|Q3 2017||$15 Million|
|Q4 2017||$23 Million|
|Q1 2018||29 Million|
|Q2 2018||$29 Million|
|Q3 2018||$43 Million|
|Q4 2018||$49 Million|
|Q1 2019||$56 Million|
|Q2 2019||$65 Million|
|Q3 2019||$82 Million|
|Q4 2019||$167 Million|
|Q1 2020||$347 Million|
|Q2 2020||$638 Million|
|Q3 2020||$778 Million|
|Q4 2020||$883 Million|
|Q1 2021||$814 Million|
|Q2 2021||$1,096 Million|
|Q3 2021||$1,208 Million|
|Q4 2021||$1,579 Million|
|Q1 2022||$1383 Million|
|Q2 2022||$1643 Million|
- TikTok users spent around $2.3 billion in 2021. This is an increase of 77% Y/Y from $1.3 billion in 2020.
- Despite the fact that China is still TikTok’s largest market in terms of in-app consumer spending, its proportion has shrunk dramatically. In 4Q21, Chinese customers accounted for 57% of in-app spending, whereas in 4Q20, China’s App Store accounted for 85%.
- The United States remained TikTok’s No. 2 income source, with its percentage of expenditure increasing Y/Y. In the fourth quarter of 2021.
- Consumers in the United States spent approximately $110 million on the app, accounting for 13% of total revenue.
|Quarter 1 2020||$188|
|Quarter 2 2020||$343|
|Quarter 3 2020||$380|
|Quarter 4 2020||$382|
|Quarter 1 2021||$385|
|Quarter 2 2021||$535|
|Quarter 3 2021||$532|
|Quarter 4 2021||$824|
15. Tik Tok and Music
As per Tik Tok Newsroom, 75% of users say that the platform helps them find new songs. 73% of people associate specific songs with the platform. Many of these songs achieve mainstream success as well, Last year, 175 songs trended on TikTok and charted on the Billboard Hot 100.
16. 57% of Tik Tok Users Are Women
As of January 2022, 57% of Tik Tok users are females and Males make up the rest of 43%.
17. Tik Tok First-Time Installs
173 million people installed Tik Tok for the first time in Q4 2021.
18. Tik Tok Users are enjoying longer videos
Tik Tok initially was a Short video-sharing platform but things have changed recently. Users can now upload videos up to 10 minutes long.
Tik Tok’s audience not only accepts this idea but they are loving it. Tik Tok users in the USA, UK, Japan, Vietnam, Brazil, and Thailand are enjoying this shift the most.
19. Tik Tok TV
In November 2021, Tik Tok introduced, TikTok Tv.
Given that more than 50% of YouTube’s audience watch videos on television, TikTok is likely to see a significant rise in engagement metrics.
20. Finance-related Tik Tok is surging
Investing-related Tik Toks, especially in the Cryptocurrency category have seen a surge in popularity. #NFT videos grew in popularity by 93,000%.
1.9 billion #crypto videos were uploaded to Tik Tok.
Popular hashtags for finance-related stuff are #fintok and #stocktok.
21. Consumer Spending on Tik Tok App.
Tik Tok users spent $2.3 billion US dollars on the platform in 2021.
This number was $1.3 billion in 2020.
Other apps on the list are Youtube on #2, Tinder on #3, Disney+ on #4, and Tencent Video on #5.
22. Tik Tok’s Ad reach
Ads on Tik Tok reach 17.9% of internet users who are above 18. That figure translates to 885 million users.
Tik Tok Ads reach 25% of Female Gen Z users and 17.9% of male Gen Z users.
23. Tik Tok iOS MAUs and DAUs
TikTok had nearly 120.5 million monthly active users on the iOS platform.
The Number of DAUs is 29.7 million.
24. Tik Tok Android MAUs and DAUs
TikTok has nearly 30.19 million monthly active users on the Android platform.
The Number of DAUs is 15.4 million.
25. Tik Tok Android Usage
As of January 2022, Android users access Tik Tok for 19.6 hours every month.
That makes Tik Tok the top second app where android users spend most of their time. Youtube tops the list. Facebook’s numbers are also similar to Tik Tok so both these platforms share second place.
26. Gen Z users in the USA use Tik Tok more than Instagram
What are Gen Z users? People who are born between the period of 1997 to 2012.
There are 41.4 million Gen Z Tik Tok users in the USA as compared to 37.3 million Instagram users.
Currently, Snapchat is the most used social media app by Gen Z in the US. It is predicted that by 2023, Tik Tok will surpass Snapchat too.
Additional Tik Tok Statistics As of July 2022
27. Tik Tok is the most popular iPhone app in terms of revenue as of February 2022.
28. Despite being banned, India had around 100 million app installs in 2020. And is still going strong using VPN.
29. Before it was outlawed in India, TikTok had 200 million users.
30. TikTok is available in over 35 languages.
31. Saudi Arabia has the most reach among adults on TikTok.
32. The Chinese version of TikTok, boasts 600 million daily active users.
33. TikTok’s parent company ByteDance is worth over $400 billion.
34. 9/10 TikTok users use the app on a daily basis.
35. Tik Tok was the most downloaded free app on iPhones in 2021.
Conclusion: TikTok Statistics (2022)
That is all from our side, folks, TikTok is moving towards a global surge in 2022 as well. There is no sign of stopping anytime soon. As a business, you should take your brand to TikTok if you haven’t already.
Let us know in the comment section about your thoughts on our take on TikTok Statistics; also, let us know about any other interesting statistics that you have.