The first iPhone came in 2007, taking the world by storm. To date, Apple has sold over 2.32 billion iPhones.
Although it’s been 15 years since the first iPhone hit the market, it remains one of the most used mobile devices in the world, with 97.7 million iPhone units shipped in the first two quarters of 2023 alone.
iPhones currently have 27.6% of the world’s smartphone market share. We see it increasing with the increased demand for the iPhone 15 series.
With such a huge market share, marketers worldwide need to know the facts and figures around it. I have compiled all the important iPhone statistics for marketers and iPhone enthusiasts in this post. We also have a dedicated section for iPhone15 at the end!
Excited? Let’s get into it.
Key iPhone Statistics (2023)
- There are more than 1.46 billion active iPhone users worldwide as of 2023. They account for 21.67% of the world’s total smartphone-using population.
- 97.7 million iPhone units were shipped and sold in the first two quarters of 2023, while 225.3 million units were sold in 2022.
- Over 2.3 billion iPhone units have been sold to date.
- iPhones held a 21% share of total smartphones shipped in Q1 2023.
- 51% of iPhone users are females, while 49% of iPhone users are males.
- iPhone has a 27.6% market share in the global smartphone industry as of Q2 2023.
- iPhones have a 57.77% market share in the US smartphone industry as of Q2 2023.
- Apple registered $211.99 billion in revenue in the first two quarters of 2023.
- Apple collected $117.11 billion in revenue from iPhone sales in the first two quarters of 2023.
- Apple has increased iPhone production in India from 1% in 2021 to 7% in 2023, with plans to manufacture 25% of iPhones by 2025.
Sage Note: There’s a dedicated section for iPhone 15 statistics in the post below. Make sure to catch it!
How Many iPhone Users Are There In The World?
- There are over 1.46 billion iPhone users in the world as of 2023.
This is an extraordinary 44276.9% increase since the last decade. There were just 329 million iPhone users back in 2013.
This number is further predicted to reach 1.56 billion by the end of 2023.
Here is the overview of iPhone users in the world over the years
|Year||No. of iPhone users|
Number Of iPhone Users In The United States
- There are 135.97 million iPhone users in the United States, which is a 9.03% increase since 2022.
Here is the table showing the number of iPhone users in the United States over the years:
|Year||Number of iPhone Users in the US|
Share of iPhone Users Among Other Smartphone Users In The US
- 50% of smartphone users in the United States use an iPhone as of 2023.
This figure was 48.7% in 2022.
Here is a table showing the share of iPhone users among U.S. smartphone users throughout the years:
|Year||Share of iPhone Users|
iPhone Sales And Shipment Statistics
- Apple has sold 97.7 million iPhone units globally in 2023 so far.
55.2 million units were sold in the first quarter and 42.5 million in the second.
It will be interesting to see how these figures change with the launch of iPhone15 in the third quarter.
Apple made a total of 225.3 million global iPhone sales in 2022.
Here is a table showing the number of iPhones sold since 2010:
|Year||No. of iPhones shipped|
|2023 (as of Q2)||97.7 million|
- Apple sold 20 million iPhones in North America in the First Quarter of 2022.
- In the first quarter of 2022, Apple supplied roughly 1 million ‘made in India’ iPhones nationwide. That is an increase of 50% y/y in the Indian market.
- India is expected to assemble up to 50% of iPhones by 2027.
iPhone Market Share Statistics
- iPhone has a 21% market share in the global smartphone industry as of 2023.
- iPhone has a 52% market share in the US smartphone industry as of 2023.
- iPhone has a 20% market share in China as of 2023.
- iPhone has a 3.55% market share in India as of 2023.
Below is the table showing the iPhone’s Market share in Different regions of the World:
|Region||iPhone Market Share|
- If we look at the data from June 2021 to August 2023, the iPhone has an average market share of 55.94% in the United States
Below is the table of the iPhone’s Market share in the US over the years:
|Year||iPhone’s Market Share in the USA|
- iPhone’s China market share stands at 20% as of August 2023.
Here is a table showing the iPhone’s Market Share in China from June 2021 to August 2023:
|Time of Year||iPhone’s Market Share|
iPhone Users Demographic
- 51% of iPhone users are females, while 49% of iPhone users are males.
- iPhones are most popular in the 16-34 year age group.
- 35% of people who use an iPhone have an Apple Watch too.
Most Popular Apps on iPhone
- TikTok was the most downloaded app on iPhones in 2022.
If we talk about the latest data, then we have figures from June 2023, and the ranking changes drastically. Google was the most downloaded app in the month of June.
Here is a list of the Most Downloaded free iPhone Apps in 2022 and June 2023:
|2.||Youtube||CapCut – Editor De Video|
|10.||Amazon Shopping||TikTok – Global Video Community|
- Honor of Kings is the most popular iPhone app in terms of revenue.
Here is the list of the top 10 most popular iPhone Apps (in terms of revenue)
|Honor of Kings||1.652 billion|
|PUBG Mobile||0.936 billion|
|Genshin Impact||0.922 billion|
|Candy Crush Saga||0.4989 billion|
|Romance Three Kingdoms||0.455 billion|
Apple’s iPhone Revenue Statistics
- Apple generated $156.78 billion in revenue from the sales of iPhones in the first three quarters of 2023.
iPhone sales currently account for 53.36% of Apple’s total revenue.
Let us take a close look at how much Apple is making by selling iPhones and how much it is contributing to its total revenue:
|Year||iPhone Revenue||Share in Apple’s Total Revenue|
|2023 (as of Q3)||$156.78 billion||53.36%|
Sage Note: The above quarters are for Fiscal Year 2023
iPhone 15 Statistics — Insights and News
The iPhone 15 arrived in the global market with a bang. It’s demand is drawing large lines at Apple stores worldwide but especially in the US, China, India, and Europe.
Let us have a look at some exciting news on the newest iPhone yet!
iPhone 15’s demand is soaring in China
- The first couple of hours of the iPhone 15 launch saw a 253% uptick compared to last year, according to one of China’s biggest online retailers, JD.com.
JD.com is partnered with more than 4,000 Apple resellers in the country, so we know their data can be trusted.
iPhone 15 has gained exponential orders globally
- The iPhone 15 has had between 10% and 12% more pre-orders than the iPhone 14 so far.
It is predicted that the iPhone 15 Pro Max will be the most-sold iPhone tin 2023
- The iPhone 15 Pro Max will make up most of the iPhone 15 series shipments in 2023, accounting for 35 to 40%. Shipments of the iPhone 15 Pro Max are expected to increase by around 10% compared to the iPhone 14 Pro Max.
The iPhone 14 Pro Max was the most-sold smartphone in the world in the first half. This suggests that users like using a smartphone with a bigger screen!
- Startup Statistics
- Affiliate Marketing Statistics
- Snapchat Users
- Twitch Users
- Digital Marketing Statistics
- SEO Statistics
I hope you got a gist of how popular iPhones are globally. With 1.46 billion users, it has maintained a constant stronghold in the smartphone industry.
I will keep updating this space with more facts and figures in the future as I get my hands on more data. Let me know if I missed anything or if I need to include something here!