Metaverse is recently named one of the top emerging trends of technology. It has gained tremendous popularity in the past few years. With the increasing number of users, the Metaverse is on the way to acquiring 50% of the global population as metaverse residents.
It is estimated that the Metaverse will reach $800 billion by 2028. Various sectors are eager to invest in the Metaverse considering its worth.
If you are an enthusiast and want insights into the Metaverse, you are in the right place. In the following article, I have compiled a list of all the up-to-date statistics relating to the Metaverse. This will help you to explore and understand the metaverse world and its operations.
Metaverse will provide a space for all visual communities with the help of virtual reality. Whether it is office work, or if you are trying clothes, going to sports or concert events, it has a solution for your endless requirements.
A place to fulfill all your wishes, whether you want to give a try to thrilling adventures or create a workplace. Metaverse will render an environment for all the work sectors in the upcoming years.
Metaverse Statistics 2023 (Top Picks)
- Metaverse’s global market revenue is expected to reach $54.95 billion in 2023. It is further expected that Metaverse will be worth 800 billion by the year 2028.
- Metaverse has 400 million monthly active users as of 2023.
- 36% of the metaverse market share is contributed by VR and AR technologies.
- In 2022, gaming sector registered a revenue share greater than 27.17%, which was highest in the application segment.
- 45% of the metaverse revenue was generated in North America in 2022.
- Around 74% of the adults in the US have joined or will join the Metaverse.
- 25% will spend one hour or more than that each day in the Metaverse by 2027.
- 10.7 million players witnessed the live performance of Marshmellow in a fortnight concert.
- With 230 million monthly users, Roblox is an enormous virtual world in the Metaverse.
- 77% of people think that Metaverse can cause harm to reality.
Metaverse Market Size and Industry
There are various industries and sectors that invest in the Metaverse leading to the expansion of the market size of the Metaverse.
- The capitalization of Web 3.0, the worth of Metaverse companies is around 0.03 trillion dollars, while that of Web 2.0 companies is 14.8 trillion dollars.
- Meta (earlier known as Facebook) had a market capitalization value of 1.98 trillion dollars.
- By 2024, Metaverse will have a worth of $800 billion.
- In 2021, the global metaverse market size was valued at $63.83 billion.
- 32% of market growth in the Metaverse comes from North America. It has invested in leading platforms like Meta, Corporation, Roblox, NVIDIA Corporation, and others.
- Microsoft bought Activision for $68.7 million. It contributed to the building of the Metaverse.
- Meta (Facebook) invested $10 billion in the metaverse projects.
- The global blockchain market is predicted to grow at a CAGR of 80.2% by 2027.
- The global automotive intelligent manufacturing market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 77% by the end of 2027.
- The fashion market share in the Metaverse is expected to increase to $6.61 billion by 2026.
Source: Fortune Business Insights, Acumen research and consulting.
Metaverse Users Statistics: (Demographics)
The number of metaverse users has tremendously increased in the past few years. Each year a lot of people are attracted to Metaverse to fulfill their imaginations, play games, and try unrealistic experiences.
- There were a total of 3.59 billion users in a total of platforms created by meta.
- It is estimated that 25% of people will spend at least one hour per day in the Metaverse.
- 27% of female and 39% of male users are highly interested in the Metaverse.
- The users of Metaverse that are 13 years aged and younger are 51%.
- Metaverse has reached 400 million monthly active users, an all-time high!
- Users that can legally register on a blockchain virtual world are only 13.2% of the active Metaverse monthly users.
- 25% of people by 2026 will spend an hour or more each day in the Metaverse.
- 52% of users around the globe want to join the Metaverse for work-related opportunities.
Here us a table showing the main reasons for joining the metaverse according to internet users:
|Reason for joining Metaverse||Share of Respondents|
|Art & Live Entertainment||48%|
|Online Dating & Socializing||32%|
- 48% of the users join the Metaverse for arts and live entertainment.
- 44% of users would join Metaverse for investment into cryptocurrency and non-fungible tokens.
- 38% of the users want to try extreme sports like skydiving, bungee jumping, and paragliding in the Metaverse.
- 27% of adults wish to alter their consciousness in the Metaverse instead of using drugs and alcohol.
Source: Statista, Metaverse, Gartner.
US adults about Metaverse
- In the United States, around 74% of adults are considering joining the Metaverse or joining it.
- Around 41% of the adults wanted to join the Metaverse to experience things that are impossible for them in the real world.
- 23% of adults wanted to create a different self in the Metaverse.
- 38% of the adults think Metaverse can positively serve to unite people and create brotherhood.
- 28% want to join Metaverse for educational opportunities.
- 40% of adults want to communicate and connect with others in the space.
- A large amount of content is one of the essential factors for adults joining Metaverse, according to 15% of the respondents to a survey.
- The majority of the revenue earned by the Metaverse comes from advertising, which led to the generation of 114.93 billion dollars in 2021
- Below is the table showing the yearly revenue of Metaverse from 2010 to 2023:
|2023 (projected)||54,951 million|
- In 2021, the desktop segment was reported to be the largest metaverse market size.
- In the year 2021, the gaming segment generated the highest revenue share, greater than 27.17%.
- 39% of the market share belongs to the media and entertainment segment in the Metaverse.
Metaverse Event Statistics
- Marshmellow performed live with 10.7 million players in the Fortnite concert.
- The United States that participated in gaming events within the video game and in non-gaming activities were around 60% of the total.
- Thirty-three million views were recorded for Nas X’s Roblox performance within two days.
- 48% of the respondents from the United States stated that they were least interested in attending the live sporting event in the Metaverse.
- 27% of millennials said they would be very interested in attending a live sports event in the Metaverse.
- 32% of Generation Z are partially interested in attending a live music event in the Metaverse.
- 41% of residents of the United States are not interested in attending a live music concert in the Metaverse.
Source: BBC, Statista, Verge.
Virtual and Augmented Reality
- By 2024, global spending on VA and VR is expected to grow from $12, as reported in 2020, to $72.8 billion.
- By 2025, there will be over 1.73 billion AR and VR users.
- Around $1000 is spent on advanced VR gear by most people.
- For streaming VR more than 5,00 apps are available.
- Augmented Reality users are expected to reach 700 million to 775 million users by 2030.
- The AR/VR market is expected to reach $300 billion by 2024.
- By 2030, the AR/VR users will be approximately 90 million to 1 billion.
- By the year 2024, worldwide spending on VA/AR is expected to reach around $72.8 billion.
- Lower-priced VR headsets are an essential factor in joining the Metaverse, according to 24% of adult users in the US.
Gaming and the Metaverse
- One hundred seven gaming apps have mentioned the keyword metaverse in their description.
- As of 2020, the global gaming audience was 495 million for e-sports and is estimated to reach 646 million by 2023.
- Niantic, Inc., raised $300 million from the Pokemon Go gaming company in 2021. The virtual and augmented reality platform plans to build a real-time virtual world platform.
- The global gaming market generated a revenue of $175.8 billion in the year 2021, and by the year 2024, it is expected to reach 200 billion by the year 2024. They primarily consist of AR and VR technologies.
- In the year 2021, the gaming audience in Europe has increased to 329.5 million; by the year 2023, it is expected to reach 351.0 million.
- 41% of metaverse players are women, and 59% are men.
- The average time users spend on Metaverse is 2 hours, and the average age of Metaverse gamers is 27.
- Roblox is the most enormous virtual world in the Metaverse, with approximately 230 million monthly users.
- A digital Gucci Bag was sold on Roblox for an astonishing amount of $4,115 On May 17th, 2021
- Roblox accumulated over 12.80 billion hours of user engagement in Q4 2022.
Source: Statista, Fortune business insights, New Zoo, Acumen research and consulting, Metaverse, Hypebeast.
Metaverse Apps Statistics
- The total revenue generated by Meta’s apps in 2021 was calculated to be $115.66 billion.
- One hundred one finance and 57 entertainment apps have the keyword “metaverse” in their names.
- Of US internet users, 55% have never heard about Horizon Workrooms.
- Seventy social apps have used the keyword “metaverse” in their names.
- One hundred forty-four apps have included the keyword “metaverse” along with the keyword “Crypto.”
- 55 and 73 apps have mentioned the metaverse keyword with VR and AR.
- One hundred eighteen apps were reported to have both NFT and Metaverse as their keywords.
Metaverse and the businesses
- Of the companies that invested in Metaverse, 53% invested in cryptocurrencies.
- More than $20 billion were lost in investments by meta in Reality labs.
- In 2021 $501 million were spent on metaverse real estate.
- 17% of the computer and IT sectors have invested in the Metaverse as of January 2023.
Here is a table showing Leading business sectors worldwide that have already invested in the metaverse:
|Businesses||Share of Investment|
|Computer & Information Technology||17%|
|Marketing & Advertisements||10%|
|Medical & Health||9%|
|Technology & Innovation||7%|
|Travel & Hospitality||6%|
|Food & Hospitality||3%|
|Creative arts and Design||2%|
- 10% of marketing and advertising companies have invested in the Metaverse.
- Education companies that invested in Metaverse comprise 12% of the sector.
- 53% of the companies invested in the Metaverse have also invested in cryptocurrencies.
- 18% of the companies that invested in Metaverse claimed to have invested in real estate.
- 41.05% of the companies that have invested in the Metaverse believe that all sectors must invest in the Metaverse.
- 17.37% of companies that have invested in the Metaverse think that only tech companies must invest in the Metaverse.
- 67.65% of the companies invested in the metaverse state that it will boom in the next five years.
- The companies that believe Metaverse will take at least the next ten years to boom in the market are approximately 13.73%
Source: Statista, CNBC.
Dangers of Metaverse
Metaverse comes with risk, security, and privacy issues. Metaverse users are open to cybercrime threats, privacy issues, authenticity, etc.
The headsets and smart glasses store a lot of personal information to personalize the experience.
- 47% of the users are at a high risk of getting addicted to simulated reality.
- 41% of the users are exposed to the risk of getting mentally ill.
- 41% of the metaverse users are on the verge of dealing with privacy issues.
- 77% of the users have a perception that the Metaverse can cause harm to reality.
- 46% of think in the upcoming ten years, people will prefer to live and coexist mostly in the Metaverse.
- 18% of users think Metaverse can lead to unwanted exposure to prohibited content.
- 26% of people believe that Metaverse will lead to an increase in cybercrime.
- Around 54% of survey respondents have admitted that they would create an avatar in the Metaverse that does not look like them in reality.
Future of Metaverse
Metaverse is set to evolve soon into the next internet. It will make numerous unimaginable things possible, like watching a soccer game with 360-degree vision and sound rather than on the typical Tv set, learning about the occurrences of Historical events by visually witnessing it and attending a conference, and interacting with others without physically being present.
- By 2030, Metaaverse Market is estimated to reach the $13 Trillion mark.
- There will be around 5 Billion Metaverse users at the end of 2030.
- The Metaverse will be necessary for half a billion people in 2040.
Metaverse Trends to Look Forward to In 2023
We have already seen so much happening in the metaverse this year. The gaming industry is booming, and so is the E-commerce sector. People are buying plots virtually and attending virtual music festivals.
2023 is just around the corner, and the possibilities are endless. So, here are some trends about metaverse that you should be aware of to gain an advantage in the times to come.
- AR and VR are already playing a massive role in the gaming sector. It will play a massive role in the learning and teaching scene.
- Virtual Cities: By now, you must’ve heard about virtual weddings and music shows happening. How about a whole replica of your city in which you can interact with other citizens without leaving your home.
- NFTs will take command once again as we progress into the metaverse. People will not just want to posses artwork in the virtual space; they will also want digital accessories like footwear, clothes, and Backpacks to flaunt.
- Cloud Computing: All the digital infrastructure will also need a platform to host itself; that is where cloud computing comes into play. The use of Cloud Computing technology is already booming; it won’t stop as we progress into the metaverse.
- Metaverse Marketing: As search engines fueled the growth of web 1.0 and social media fueled web 2.0, marketing and advertising will fuel web 3.0 – the metaverse! Many brands have already started building their metaverse presence and strategies.
These are just a few of the many trends that we can expect in the metaverse in the coming days.
Metaverse Statistics 2023: Conclusion
That’s all about Metaverse statistics.
Metaverse is the future of the world that combines virtual reality and artificial intelligence. An increasing number of the crowd is attracted to Metaverse as it helps you to witness events that are difficult to experience in the real world.
I hope the above article has helped you analyze Metaverse, its market, users, revenue, and demand. I have researched in depth to compile all the stats above.
If I have missed some critical stats, do let me know in the comments section below. I will check out the comment section and update my article with the help of your commented stats.
Metaverse states that it has 8000 million daily users.
As of 2021, the global market size of the metaverse was approximate $ 38.85 billion.
Roblox has the most users in the metaverse due to the rapid growth of its players since covid-19. It has 58.5 million daily active users across 180 countries.
Metaverse could generate a revenue of $13 trillion per year by year 2030. Source: Citi, KPMG.
The metaverse market is projected to grow at a CAGR rate of 47.6%.