In 2011, three Stanford University students, namely Evan Spiegel, Bobby Murphy & Reggie Brown came up with an idea that would forever change the way people interacted with each other. They created an app that allowed people to chat using photos and videos which were viewable for only upto 10 seconds.
The app, which was only accessible to iOS users, was initially known as “Picaboo”.
It was slow to catch on, with only 127 users in the first several months. Later, it was rebranded as Snapchat and made available to android users as well. After that, the rest is history. Snapchat surpassed the 100,000 daily active user mark within a year.
Currently, 363 million people all over the world use Snapchat every day.
Snapchat is among the most used social media in the world, and many marketers use it to their advantage to promote their brands. To make the research process easier for such marketers, we have come up with this detailed and up-to-date Snapchat statistics post. Even if you are just an enthusiast or a nerd looking to feed on numbers, this is going to be a treat for you.
Top Snapchat Statistics in a Nutshell
Here is an in-depth overview Of Snapchat.
- As of December 2022, Snapchat has 363 Million Daily Active Users.
- Snapchat claims that advertisements on the platform can reach 616.9 million users as of 2022.
- With 144.35 million users India is the country most number of Snapchat users.
- Snapchat has more female users than male.
- Snapchat users aged between 18 to 24 have the largest share of snapchat advertising audience.
- Snapchat reported around $3.3 billion in global yearly revenue in 2021. This brings Snapchat’s overall revenue for 2022 till the three quarters to $3.3 billion
- Luxembourg has the highest Snapchat user reach with 80.2%
- Snapchat has 872 patents to its name.
- People majorly use snapchat while hanging out with friends.
- Over 5 billion snapchats are created every day on average.
- Users spend 3.2 hours every month on snapchat.
Snapchat Statistics 2023 (In-depth)
In this section, we will discuss the statistics associated with Snapchat in a detailed manner.
Snapchat Daily Active Users
- As of the 3rd Quarter of 2022, Snapchat has 363 million daily active users. That is 18.6% increase Year over Year.
- In the 3rd Quarter of 2021, Snapchat had 306 million DAUs
- In 2014, Snapchat had the biggest Y/Y percentage user growth, with a 104% increase.
- Snapchat had its worst year in terms of daily active user growth in 2018 with just 186 Million DAUs as of the 4th Quarter. This was a decrease of 1 Million DAUs since 2017.
- After the coronavirus pandemic in 2019, the world witnessed a boom in all social media platforms. Snapchat was one of them.
Below is an overview of Snapchat DAUs from Q1 2015 to Q3 2022:
|Quarter 1 2015||80 million|
|Quarter 2 2015||86 million|
|Quarter 3 2015||94 million|
|Quarter 4 2015||107 million|
|Quarter 1 2016||122 million|
|Quarter 2 2016||143 million|
|Quarter 3 2016||153 million|
|Quarter 4 2016||158 million|
|Quarter 1 2017||166 million|
|Quarter 2 2017||173 million|
|Quarter 3 2017||178 million|
|Quarter 4 2017||187 million|
|Quarter 1 2018||191 million|
|Quarter 2 2018||188 million|
|Quarter 3 2018||186 million|
|Quarter 4 2018||186 million|
|Quarter 1 2019||190 million|
|Quarter 2 2019||203 million|
|Quarter 3 2019||210 million|
|Quarter 4 2019||218 million|
|Quarter 1 2020||229 million|
|Quarter 2 2020||238 million|
|Quarter 3 2020||249 million|
|Quarter 4 2020||265 million|
|Quarter 1 2021||280 million|
|Quarter 2 2021||293 million|
|Quarter 3 2021||306 million|
|Quarter 4 2021||319 million|
|Quarter 1 2022||332 million|
|Quarter 2 2022||347 million|
|Quarter 3 2022||363 million|
Snapchat Daily Active Users by Region
- Snapchat has 97 million daily active users in North America and 82 million in Europe as of the fourth quarter of 2021.
- The Rest of the world accounts for 140 Million Daily Active Users. (Asia Pacific, South America, Middle East, and Africa)
- 30.4% of Snapchat’s Daily Active Users are from the North American Region. (including the Caribbeans & Mexico)
- 25.7% of Snapchat Daily Active Users are from the European Region (including Russia and Turkey)
- While the rest of the world accounts for 43.8% of Daily Active Users.
Below is the growth table of Snapchat Daily Active Users by Region.
|YEAR||North America||Europe||Rest of the World|
|Quarter 1 2015||38||27||16|
|Quarter 2 2015||40||29||18|
|Quarter 3 2015||44||30||20|
|Quarter 4 2015||48||34||24|
|Quarter 1 2016||54||39||29|
|Quarter 2 2016||61||46||36|
|Quarter 3 2016||64||49||39|
|Quarter 4 2016||68||52||39|
|Quarter 1 2017||71||55||40|
|Quarter 2 2017||75||57||42|
|Quarter 3 2017||77||57||44|
|Quarter 4 2017||80||60||47|
|Quarter 1 2018||81||62||48|
|Quarter 2 2018||80||61||47|
|Quarter 3 2018||79||59||47|
|Quarter 4 2018||79||60||47|
|Quarter 1 2019||80||61||49|
|Quarter 2 2019||83||64||56|
|Quarter 3 2019||85||65||61|
|Quarter 4 2019||86||67||64|
|Quarter 1 2020||88||70||71|
|Quarter 2 2020||90||71||77|
|Quarter 3 2020||90||72||87|
|Quarter 4 2020||92||74||99|
|Quarter 1 2021||93||77||111|
|Quarter 2 2021||95||78||120|
|Quarter 3 2021||96||80||130|
|Quarter 4 2021||97||82||140|
Here is the table for Snapchat Share of Daily Active Users by Region
|YEAR||North America||Europe||Rest of the world|
Snapchat Users by Country
- With 144.35 million users, India is the country with the most number of Snapchat users.
- The United States has the second-biggest share of Snapchat users accounting for 107.94 Million users.
Here is a Table Ranking Top 20 Countries with Most Snapchat Users:
|Rank||Country||Users (in millions)|
|2||United States of America||107.94|
Snapchat In a Day
A “Snap” is a photo or video that is exchanged using the Snapchat app.
- Snapchat claims that more than 5 billion snaps are produced in a single day.
This figure is up From 4+ billion in Quarter 2 of 2020. It is a 25% rise.
Snapchat Revenue Statistics
- Snapchat made a revenue of $1.128 Billion in the third quarter of 2022. That is a 6% year over year increase.
- This brings Snapchat’s overall revenue for 2022 till the three quarters to $3.3 billion.
Below is the table showing Snapchat’s revenue over the years.
|2022 (Up to Q3)||$3.30 Billion|
- Snapchat had registered a revenue of $2.5 Billion in 2020.
- Snapchat has a net loss of $360 million as of Q3 2022, That is a 400% year over year increase.
Snapchat claims that this increase in net loss largely reflects $155 million in transition costs associated with our reprioritization efforts, the flow-through of the $102 million decline in adjusted EBITDA, unfavorable investment impacts of $47 million, and income tax expense of $8 million.
- In Quarter 3 of 2022, Snapchat’s operating cash flow is $245 million, up from $55 million in Q3 2021.
Snapchat Revenue Statistics by Region
- Snapchat earned a revenue of $811,6027 from North America as of Q3 2022.
- From the European region, Snapchat made a revenue of $161,396 as of Q3 2022.
- The rest of the world contributed to Snapchat’s revenue by $155,478 as of Q3 2022.
Below is the growth of Snapchat revenue over the years based on regions:
|Year||North America||Europe||Rest of the world|
Snapchat Advertising Spending Statistics
- Snapchat reported advertising expenses of $62.4 million US Dollars in 2021.
- The advertising spending went up from 29.5 million dollars in 2020, representing a 50% rise.
Below is the table for annual advertising expenditure of Snapchat
Snapchat Profit Statistics
- Snapchat registered a net income (loss) of $359,502 in Q3 2022.
- Snapchat made a profit for the first time in the fourth quarter of 2021.
- Ever since going public, Snapchat’s net income is in negative.
Snapchat Demographics Statistics
- Snapchat has more Female users than Males.
- Snapchat’s userbase consist of 51.8% females and 47.4% males.
|Gender||Share of Users|
- Most of Snapchat users are between the ages of 18 and 24, accounting for 39%
- 9.9% percent of all people aged 13 or older around the world use Snapchat.
- If we only consider the United States of America, then the share of Snapchat’s female users is 55.1% and Males is 44.9%
Snapchat Downloads Statistics
- Snapchat is the fifth most downloaded social media app in the world. As of 2021, Snapchat has 327 Million downloads globally.
- Snapchat is the third most downloaded social media app in the United States. It was downloaded 56 million times in 2021 alone.
Snapchat Usage Statistics
- The average daily user of Snapchat uses the app’s camera more than 30 times each day and spends at least 30 minutes on it.
- 82% of US teenagers use Snapchat once a month.
- AR filters are used by 63% of Snapchat’s daily active users.
- On a monthly basis, over 125 million users interact with Snapchat’s Spotlight feature. On average, the spotlight receives around 525,000 entries every day.
- Snapchat’s other exciting feature Snap Map has more than 250 million monthly users.
- 30 Million Snapchat users play snap games each month.
Snapchat Statistics for Advertisers
- Snapchat users hold $4.4 trillion US Dollars in global spending power.
If we break it down further:
- North American Snapchat users hold $1.9 trillion US dollar spending power.
- European Snapchat users hold $1.05 trillion US dollar spending power.
- Middle Eastern and North African Snapchat users hold $425 billion US dollar spending power.
- Latin American Snapchat users hold $425 billion US dollar spending power.
- Asia Pacific Snapchat users hold $425 billion US dollar spending power.
More Snapchat Statistics for Advertisers
- Snapchat is used by 75% of millennials and Gen Z.
- Users of Snapchat are 60% more likely to make spontaneous purchases.
- Snapchat users share 35% of snaps of things they want to buy, increasing the brand’s online visibility.
Snapchat Acquisition Statistics
- Since 2014, Snapchat has made 30 acquisitions.
The estimated $500 million purchase of WaveOptics, a firm that makes lenses and other parts for augmented reality glasses, is one of Snapchat’s recent large purchases.
Snapchat announced 37.93% of its acquisitions in 2016 and 2017.
Snapchat Workforce Statistics
- As per LinkedIn, Snapchat currently has 6481 full-time employees.
- Snap Inc. pays an average of $110,642 in yearly remuneration.
- Snapchat pays a median salary of $134,098 to foreign workers.
Conclusions: Snapchat Users (2023)
This is all from our side on Snapchat statistics. The future looks promising for the photo and video sharing platform. With the company heavily investing in AR-based companies, they are sure to gain some edge when the world gets more immersed in Metaverse.
Comment below if you have any fun statistics to share with us that we have not included in the post. Also, check our other Statistical blog posts on other social media platforms.