With a 68% market share, Tesla has been a pioneer in the electric car market, outperforming all traditional Automakers in terms of innovation in recent years. Tesla is currently the most valued automobile firm in the United States. Tesla’s market value is $951.79 billion as of 2022.
In this post, I have gathered and stated all the latest and most important facts and figures associated with Tesla. Dive into the electrifying world of tesla with these statistics. Let’s begin, shall we?
Tesla Statistics (Top Picks)
- At the time of writing this article, Tesla has a market cap of $951.79 billion.
- Tesla is the World’s 6th most valuable company in terms of market cap.
- Tesla is the first and only car manufacturer that sells cars directly to customers.
- Tesla is the most valued brand within the automotive sector as of 2022, with a brand value of 76 billion.
- Tesla has a total revenue of $16,394 million as of Q2 2022, an increase of 42% YoY.
- In total, Tesla produced 258,580 units in Q2 2022 alone.
- In total, Tesla delivered 254,695 units in Q2 2022 alone.
- Tesla has a 68% market share in the United States.
- Tesla Model Y is the most sold electric vehicle in the United States so far in 2022.
- Over 3 million Teslas have been produced until now. Tesla achieved this milestone in August 2022.
- Currently, Tesla has 99,920 employees.
Tesla Car Production Statistics
Back in 2012, Tesla rolled out its first model S. Fast forward to today, Tesla has produced 258,580 units in Q2 2022 alone. Let us look at Tesla’s latest production numbers in this section.
- Tesla produced 16,411 units of model S and X in Q2 2022, a 601% YoY increase.
- Tesla produced 242,169 units of model 3 and Y in Q2 2022, a 19% YoY increase.
- June 2022 was the highest vehicle production month in Tesla’s history.
- Here is a table showing Tesla’s quarterly vehicle production since Q1 2016 to Q2 2022:
|Year||No. of Tesla Vehicles Produced|
- Tesla has produced over 3 million vehicles to date. They achieved this feat in August 2022. Elon Musk himself revealed this fact over Twitter.
Tesla Delivery Statistics
How many cars is Tesla delivering in 2022? Let me answer this question in this section with full-proof facts and figures.
- Tesla delivered 16,162 units of models S and X in Q2 2022, a 753% increase YoY.
- Tesla delivered 238,533 units of model 3 and Y in Q2 2022, a 20% increase YoY.
- Tesla delivered 254,695 units in the second quarter of 2022. This is a 27% Year over Year increase.
- Tesla intends to reach a 50% average yearly growth in car deliveries over a multi-year period.
- Here is a table showing Tesla’s quarterly vehicle delivery since Q1 2016 to Q2 2022:
|Year||No. of Vehicles Delivered|
Sources: Tesla, Statista.
Tesla’s Brand Value in Automobile Sector
With $75.93 billion in brand valuation, Tesla is the most valuable brand in the automotive sector as of 2022.
- Here is a list of the top 5 automotive brands with the highest brand value:
|Mercedes Benz||30.35 billion|
- Tesla’s brand value was 42.6 billion in 2021.
How many Teslas are Sold to Date?
- To date, Tesla has sold 2,889,793 vehicles globally. Founder Elon Musk believes that There will be over 4 million Teslas on the road by the end of 2022.
Tesla Financial Statistics
- Tesla’s revenue for Q2 2022 was $16.934B, a 41.61% increase year-over-year.
- Tesla’s annual revenue for 2021 was $53.823B, a 70.67% increase from 2020.
Here is a table showing Tesla’s Annual Revenue since 2008 to 2022:
|2022 (Q1 + Q2)||16,934 million|
- Tesla made a full-year profit for the first time in 2020. According to the latest data for the financial year 2021, Tesla has the following numbers:
- $5,519 million attributable to common shareholders.
- $125 million attributable to noncontrolling interests.
- Tesla’s R&D costs more than tripled between 2014 and 2021, from around 465 million to almost 1.5 billion. Tesla’s significant R&D investment was partly due to the company’s emphasis on cutting-edge technology, such as electric car batteries and charging infrastructure.
Here are a table showing Tesla’s R&D expenses over the years:
- Tesla’s selling, general, and administrative (SG&A) costs came to roughly $4.517 billion.
Here is a table showing Tesla’s selling, general, and administrative expenses over the years:
- Tesla has a free cash flow of $621 million in Q2 2022.
- 75% of Tesla’s Bitcoin acquisitions were converted into fiat cash. These conversions in Q2 added $936M cash to Tesla’s balance sheet.
- In Q2, 2022, the operating margin of Tesla was 14.6%, down from 19.2% in the previous quarter.
- Tesla generated most of its revenue through automotive sales in 2021.
Here is a table showing Tesla’s revenue for FY 2021 in different segments:
|Automotive Sales||$44,125 million|
|Automotive Leasing||$1,642 million|
|Services and Others||$3,802 million|
|Energy Generation and Storage||$2,789 million|
- Tesla registered a $23,973 million revenue in the United States in 2021. In the Chinese market, Tesla generated a revenue of $13,844 million.
Here is a table showing Tesla’s Domestic and International revenue in 2021:
|United States||$23,973 million|
Sources: Statista, Tesla.
Tesla Competitor Statistics
- Tesla ranks first in terms of most plug-in electric vehicle sales worldwide, with 936,172 units sold in 2021. Following Tesla is BYD (593,878 units), SAIC (456,123 units), Volkswagen (319,735 units) and BMW (276,037 units).
- Tesla Inc. has a 13.84% market share in the global plug-in electric vehicle market.
Here is a table showing the market share of automotive companies in PEVs globally:
|Mercedes- Benz Group||4.15%|
|Gelly-Volvo Car Group||3.22%|
|Toyota Motor Corp.||1.9%|
Tesla Supercharger Statistics
With 36,000+ Superchargers globally, Tesla owns and operates the largest global, fast charging network globally. Here are some of the facts and figures associated with it.
- Tesla has 3,971 supercharging stations as of 2022. On average, these supercharging stations have 9 supercharging points.
Here is a table showing the number of Tesla superchargers globally over the years:
|Time||No. of Tesla Superchargers|
- 247 supercharging stations were added to the list in Q2 2022 only.
- Superchargers can add up to 200 miles of range in just 15 minutes.
- Tesla superchargers have a maximum charging rate of 250 kW.
- Tesla superchargers are cheaper than gasoline.
- United States has the most number of superchargers in the world.
Here is a table showing countries with the most number of supercharging stations:
|Country||No. of Superchargers|
- California has the most number of superchargers in the United States, with 302 stations. Alaska is the state with the least number of Tesla supercharging stations, with just a single station.
Here is a table showing the top 10 states in the United States with the most number of Tesla supercharging stations as of 2022:
|State||No. of Superchargers|
Tesla Factory Statistics
Tesla has 6 factories worldwide across 3 different nations. Four of the tesla factories are in the United States and one each in Germany and China. This particular section highlights the factory-related statistics of Tesla. Let’s have a look:
- Tesla’s Gigafactory in Texas is their newest edition. This gigafactory has 10 million square feet of floor space and spans 2,500 acres along the Colorado River.
Below is the list of Tesla’s factories:
- Tesla Factory in Fermont, California. (2010)
- Tesla Gigafactory, Nevada. (2016)
- Tesla Gigafactory, New York. (2017)
- Tesla Gigafactory, Shanghai. (2019)
- Tesla Gigafactory, Berlin–Brandenburg. (2022)
- Tesla Gigafactory, Texas. (2022)
- Tesla’s factory in Fermont, California, provides employment to over 17,000 people.
- Nearly 463,000 vehicles were produced in Teslas’s Fermont factory in 2021.
- Tesla’s Gigafcatory in Nevada has 13 battery cell production lines as of 2022.
- Gigafactory Nevada is the biggest among Tesla’s factories in terms of floor area. It has a floor area of a 492,000-meter square.
- Gigafactory Shanghai is Tesla’s highest-producing factory. It recently produced its millionth, Tesla.
Tesla Employee Statistics
As per the latest data, Tesla currently has 99,290 employees all over the globe. The number of Tesla employees has increased by 40.33% since 2020. Below are some interesting statistics associated with Tesla Employees:
- The employee strength of Tesla is over 99,000.
- In 2020, Tesla had around 70,575 full-time employees.
Image credits: Statista.
Here is a table showing tesla’s employee strength over the years:
|Year||Head Count||Annual Growth Rate|
- Tesla is planning to cut down 10% of its employees in the near future. Elon Musk emailed all the Tesla employees on June 3rd and revealed this fact to them.
- Elon musk revealed in his letter that he would rely on more hourly workers.
Conclusion: Tesla Statistics (2022)
Would like to conclude this post with one more interesting fact, Elon Musk intended the first three Tesla models to spell “SEX,” but Ford holds the trademark on “Model E,” so he made the Model Y to spell “S3XY.”
Enjoy these statistics while you wait for the Cybertruck!
If you liked this post, make sure to check out our other statistical work as well!