Digital assistants like Siri, Alexa, and Google Assistant have made it easier for people to find information, complete tasks, and make purchases using voice search. It is predicted that by 2024, the global voice recognition market will be worth $26.8 billion, and there will be 8 billion voice-enabled digital assistants.
This trend has prompted businesses to optimize their websites for voice search and marketers to adapt their strategies to changing consumer behavior.
In this blog post, we will explore the latest voice search statistics and what they mean for businesses and marketers in 2023
Voice Search Statistics 2023 (Top Picks)
- There are 4.2 billion voice assistants in use as of 2023. This number will reach 8.4 billion by 2024.
- Voice search assistants answer 93.7% of search queries on average.
- More than 1 billion voice searches take place every month.
- More than 50% of the adults reported that they use voice search daily.
- 27% of people use voice search on mobile as of 2023.
- More than 40% of the voice search results are from the featured snippets.
- An average voice search SERP requires 4.6 seconds to load.
- More than 20% of the searches in the Google App are done using voice search.
- Voice search is used by approximately 58% of consumers to find a local business.
- 41% of the adults in the US use voice search daily.
- More than 30,000 smart home devices are supported by Google Assistant.
- 45.1% of the voice assistants reported that they prefer Apple’s Siri for voice search.
- Voice search shopping is expected to cross $40 billion.
General Voice Search Statistics
Here are some of the general statistics related to voice search.
- 27% of people use voice search on mobile.
- The average voice search result is 29 words in length.
- 36.6% of US residents use voice assistants.
- 123.5 million people used voice assistants in the year 2022. In comparison, there were 132 million voice assistant users in the year 2021.
The following table displays the number of voice assistant users in the past few years:
|Year||Number Of Voice Assistant Users.|
- Voice search results tend to load faster by 52% than the average search results.
- Only 1.71% of the exact keywords appear in the title tag of the results displayed through voice search.
Keywords in the voice search do not play an important role as Google scans the entire page and displays the most relevant section in the searches.
- Google Assistant and Apple’s Siri are consumers’ most popular digital assistants. They are used by 36% of people.
The following table displays the digital assistants used by consumers.
|Digital Assistants||Percentage Of People|
Why Is Voice Search So Popular?
The popularity of voice search has grown over the years with its increasing use. Let us take a look at the reasons for the popularity of voice search.
90% of people believe that voice search is easier than searching online. On the other hand, 70% of the people said that they use voice search because it’s fast and easy. Furthermore, 89% of the users think that it is more convenient to use voice search.
Apart from that, 71% of people said they would use the voice assistant to search for a query rather than physically typing it.
Voice Search Usage Statistics
A significant number of individuals across markets acknowledge the value that voice assistants bring to their daily lives. Around 50% of the respondents from Barilla’s Voice Consumer Index agree that using voice search is quicker than traditional text-based search methods. They also find that voice search enables them to efficiently find the information they need
- 27% of people use voice search on mobile.
- 58.6% of US consumers have used voice search. While 41.4% of people have not used Voice search.
- 68% of people use digital assistants to search for quick facts.
- The most popular age group that uses voice search is 18-34. 77% of them said that they use voice search on smartphones, while 37% of them used voice search on tablets. Besides, 34% of them used voice search on desktop.
The following table displays different age groups using voice searches from different devices.
|Device||18 to 34 Years||35 to 54 Years||55 Years +|
|Not used, but would consider using voice search||15%||24%||33%|
|Don’t want to use||9%||12%||30%|
- 72% of people used voice assistance in the past 6 months.
- In the year 2020, 4.2 billion people used voice assistants worldwide. In comparison, it is forecasted that by the end of the year 2024, 8.4 billion people will use voice assistants.
The following table displays the use of voice assistants worldwide over the past years.
|Year||Number of Digital Voice Assistants Used.|
- 75% of the people in the United States use voice search to know about the weather details. At the same time, 71% of them use voice search to search for music.
The following table displays the usage of voice search in different sectors by people in the United States.
|Sector||Voice Search Users In US|
|Food delivery and restaurants||52%|
|Healthcare and wellness||51%|
|Consumer packaged food||49%|
|Making a reservation||47%|
How Often Do People Use Voice Search?
- Most people use voice search when they are home alone.
More than 60% of people said they use voice search when they are alone. Additionally, over 50% of people use voice search when at home with their friends.
The following table displays the environment in which people use voice search the most.
|Environment||Percentage Of Users|
|Home with friends||Over 50%|
|Office alone.||Approximately 50%|
|Restaurants with friends||Over 40%|
|Office with Coworkers||Over 30%|
|Restaurant alone.||Over 30%|
|Restaurants with acquaintances.||Over 20%|
|Public restroom||Over 20%|
Voice Search Statistics For Business
- 52% of the smart speaker owners reported that they wanted to receive information about the deals, promotions, and sales from the brands. Besides, 48% of the owners wish to receive personalized tips and information.
The following table displays the needs of the people from the brands using voice search.
|Information about sales, deals, and promotions.||Percentage Of Voice Search Users.|
|Information about sales, deals and promotion.||52%|
|Personalized tips and information||48%|
|Information about upcoming events or activities.||42%|
|Options to find information about store location and hours.||39%|
|Access to customer support or service.||38%|
- 56% of the users said that they had used voice search to search for information about a business or a brand through their smartphones.
The following table displays the different devices used by voice search users to search for different brands and businesses.
|Devices||Percentage Of Voice Search Users That Scratched For A Brand.|
|Would consider using voice search to search for business||25%|
|Don’t want t use voice search to search for brands and businesses.||18%|
- 51% of voice search users search for restaurant businesses online. Another most searched industry using voice search is grocery stores, food delivery, and clothing stores.
The following table displays the most searched industry using the voice search feature.
|Industry||Percentage Of Voice Search Users.|
- 74% of consumers worldwide use voice search to play music, while 66% of the users use it to check the weather.
The following table displays the top activities carried out using voice search.
|Activities||Percentage Of Consumers That Use Voice Search To Perform Activities.|
|Setting alarms and reminders||58%|
How Accurate Is Voice Search?
On average, voice assistants are able to answer 93.7% of all search queries. Besides, the average answer match on Google Assistant across all the devices is 22%.
Smart Speaker Statistics
- 52% of smart speaker users said that they use smart speakers daily in their life.
- 52% of voice search users place their smart speakers in the family room, while 25% of them place them in their bedrooms.
The following table displays the room where users place their smart speakers.
|Room||Percentage Of Smart Speaker Users|
|Common room/ Family room||52%|
- 146.9 million recliners have been sold as of the year 2019.
- 42% the smart speaker users can’t imagine using it without it.
- The smart speaker market is expected to grow to $30 billion by the end of the year 2024.
- Over one-third of consumers reported that they have used the smart speaker for voice search.
- 41% of the people who own smart speakers reported that they have two more devices.
The following table displays the number of smart speakers owned by consumers.
|Number Of Speakers.||Percentage Of Consumers|
SEO And Voice Search Statistics (VSEO)
Voice Search Engine Optimization (VSEO) is like Search Engine Optimization (SEO) in that they both aim to increase organic website traffic and boost brand visibility through content optimization and targeted keywords. However, VSEO focuses specifically on the natural, conversational language used in day-to-day life.
have a look at some VSEO statistics that will help you in optimizing for voice search better:
- More than 80% of the voice search answers on Google Assistant are from the top three search results.
- Voice search is considered to be the most significant emerging SEO factor by 22.8% of SEO professionals.
- Voice search answers across all the devices come from SERP features.
- Pages that rank for the voice search is found to load 52% faster.
- The average word count of the pages that rank for voice searches has approximately a word count of 2,312.
- More than 70% of the websites that ranks on Googles voice results are HTTPS secured.
- Out of total voice search results, only 1.71% of voice search results are from pages with an exact match of the title tag.
Voice Search And Consumer Behaviors
- 51% of online shoppers in the United States reported that they use voice assistance to research products.
- Voice assistants are used by consumers to track the post-checkout stages.
30% of online shoppers use voice assistants to track their packages, while 20 % use them to rate a product. On the other hand, 17% of online shoppers said that they use voice search to repurchase items.
- 38% of the users reported that voice ads are less invasive, and 39% of them said that voice ads are more tempting as compared to other ads.
Moreover, 40% of the users reported that they had purchased a product after listening to its voice advertisement.
- 72% of US customers are engaging with voice search with the help of digital assistants.
Furthermore, 35% of them use smart home speakers.
The following table displays the device that people use to engage with voice searches.
|Device||Percentage Of Consumers|
|Voice search using digital assistant||72%|
|Smart home speaker||35%|
|TV or a smart home device||36%|
|Voice commands to vehicles||31%|
Purchasing Using Voice Search
- 33.2 million US consumers said that they shop using smart speakers.
- Voice search is growing in UK and US retail sectors but steady in Germany. Over 54% retail searches in US are done through voice while around 40% in UK and Germany
- 8.9 million consumers purchased health and beauty products through smart speakers. Also, 8.8 million electronic products were purchased online.
- More than 50% of consumers expect that they will make purchases with the help of digital assistants in the next five years.
- 34% of the people reported that they purchased takeout food using their voice assistants. Comparatively, only 3% of people have ordered clothes with the help of voice assistants.
The following table displays the percentage of items that are purchased by people using voice assistants.
|Items Purchased Using Voice Search||Percentage Of Consumers||Would Consider Purchasing In The Future Using Voice Search|
|Homecare items, electronics||22%||26%|
Google Voice Search Statistics
- Google recognizes 119 languages for voice search. Furthermore, voice dictation uses emojis.
- 20% of the searches in the Google App are voice searches.
- More than 63% of smartphone said that they are more likely to purchase from companies that provide personalized recommendations.
- Google Home is the best-performing voice search device. It is reported that it delivers correct answers 81% of the correct answers.
Voice Search Challenges
- 41% of people said that they have a fear that their digital assistants are actively hearing or recording them.
- More than 40% of people are concerned bout their privacy when having digital assistants in their boxes.
- 64% of the people reported that they had accidentally used a voice assistant in the last month.
Voice Search Trends And Forecast
- According to a SkyQuest survey, the speech and voice recognition market will be worth $53.94 billion by 2030, with a CAGR of 24.4% over the forecast period (2023-2030).
- Voice search technology is easily adopted by people aged between 18 to 24 years.
- Shopping based on voice searches is expected to reach $40 billion in revenue.
- By the end of the year 2024, the sales of smart speakers are expected to cross $30 billion.
- In the future, voice assistants are expected to understand your mood and respond accordingly.
- Google Ads Statistics
- Google Muse
- How to Import Data From One Google Sheet
- How To Setup Google Analytics
Wapping Up: Voice Search Statistics (2023)
That’s all about Voice search statistics.
With more than 50% of people using voice search in their day-to-day life, voice search is expected to take over text searches in the upcoming years. The majority of the youth use voice search today and prefer it over text searches.
You can check out our websites for other updated statistics if you have enjoyed reading the above article.