With a net sales of $513.98 billion, Amazon has become the third largest brand worldwide. It was also the fourth Company to reach 1 trillion market capitalization.
In this post, I have compiled all the latest Amazon statistics after extensively researching from all the trusted sources. If you are looking forward to becoming a seller on Amazon or an Amazon influencer, these stats will surely help you.
Amazon Statistics: At A Glance
Without further ado, let us take a glance at the top Amazon Statistics.
- As of Q1 2023, Amazon generated net sales of $127.4 billion.
- It is predicted that Amazon will generate net sales of $513.98 billion by the end of 2023.
- Amazon generated a profit of $3.17 billion in the first quarter of 2023.
- Amazon makes approximately $1.4 billion per day in net sales revenue. Besides, it makes $16.3 million per second on average.
- Amazon has more than 300 million users. 80% of them are registered users from the United States.
- There are almost 2 million sellers on Amazon. Out of these sellers, 1.1 million sellers are from the United States.
- More than 600 products are listed on Amazon. Out of them, 12 million products are sold by Amazon itself.
- Per day, more than 1.6 million packages are shipped by Amazon. At the same time, it processes 20 products in a second.
- Amazon has a valuation of $705.65 billion as of 2023.
- 2.4 billion visits were recorded worldwide on Amazon.com as of 2022.
- As of 2023, 1,541,000 employees are working at Amazon.
- Electronics are the most frequently bought items on Amazon. Approximately 44% of the shoppers prefer to buy electronics from the platform.
- Fast and free shopping is the most common reason consumers choose to buy products from Amazon. Almost 80% of the shoppers said that they buy from Amazon for this reason.
|Launched On||July 1994|
|Founders||Jeff Bezos (executive chairman),Andy Jassy (president, CEO), Brian Olsavsky (CFO)|
|Number of customers||300 million+|
|Number of sellers||2 million|
- Amazon makes more than $ 1.4 billion of net sales revenue in a day as of 2023.
According to the latest calculations, Amazon makes between $1.36 billion to $1.42 billion each day. That is equivalent to $16.3 million per second on average.
- Amazon generates more than $496 billion in revenue every year.
According to the latest revenue calculation, Amazon makes an average of between $496 billion to $498 billion every year.
Did you know Amazon grabbed the 2nd position in the Fortune 500 list of companies in 2023? You can read the list of all the companies that it at the top here.
- Amazon has more than 300 million active consumer accounts.
According to the latest data from Amazon, it has more than 300 million customers, and around 80% of them are from the United States.
- Amazon has over 1.9 million-selling partners worldwide.
According to Amazon, there are almost 2 million sellers on the platform worldwide as of 2023. Of these, almost 1.1 million sellers are from the United States.
- More than 600 million products are listed on the Amazon Market place.
We come across hundreds of products listed on Amazon daily, making it hard to predict the exact number of products on the platform. However, according to the latest data from Amazon, over 600 products can be found in the marketplace. Out of these, 12 million products are sold by Amazon itself.
- Amazon ships more than 1.6 million packages per day.
Breaking down the numbers, Amazon processes almost 20 orders per second on average. However, these numbers do not include the packages of items fulfilled by merchants or the multiple orders shipped together.
- Amazon.com owns almost 37.8% of the e-commerce market share in the United States.
At the same time, Walmart and eBay own just 6.3% and 3.5% of the market share.
Here is a table displaying the market share of top e-commerce platforms in the United States.
|E-Commerce Platform||Percentage Of Market Share|
- Amazon generated net sales of $127.4 billion in the 1st Quarter of 2023.
According to the latest reports released by Amazon, there was an 11% increase in net sales compared to that generated in the first quarter of 2023. While in the Q4 of 2022, Amazon generated $149.2 billion.
The following table displays the net sales revenue generated by Amazon over the past quarters.
|Quarter||Net Sales Revenue|
|Q1 2023||$127.4 billion|
|Q4 2022||$149.2 billion|
|Q3 2022||$127.1 billion|
|Q2 2022||$121.23 billion|
|Q1 2022||$116.44 billion|
|Q4 2021||$137.41 billion|
|Q3 2021||$110.81 billion|
|Q2 2021||$113.08 billion|
|Q1 2021||$108.52 billion|
|Q4 2020||$125.56 billion|
|Q3 2020||$96.15 billion|
|Q2 2020||$88.91 billion|
|Q1 2020||$75.45 billion|
- Amazon generated net sales of $513.98 billion in 2022.
There was an increase of 9.1% in the revenue generated by the platform in 2022 as compared to the revenue generated last year. Besides, the net sales revenue generated increased from $470 billion in 2021 to almost $ 514 billion in the year 2022.
The following table displays the net sales revenue generated by Amazon over the past years.
|Year||Net Revenue Generated By Amazon|
- Amazon web services generated $21.4 billion in the first quarter of 2023.
Amazon web services witnessed a 16% year-over-year growth in the AWS sales segment. Comparatively, the AWS sales generated in the Q1 of 2022 was $ 18.4 billion.
The following table displays the AWS net sales revenue generated over the past quarters.
|Quarter||AWS Net Sales Revenue|
|Q1 2023||$21.4 billion|
|Q4 2022||$21.3 billion|
|Q3 2022||$20.5 billion|
|Q2 2022||$19.7 billion|
|Q1 2022||$18.4 billion|
- AWS’s net sales generated annual revenue of $79.9 billion in 2022.
Comparatively, in 2021, it generated $62.1 billion in revenue. While in the year 2020, $ 45.3 billion was generated by AWS.
Here are the details about the net sales revenue generated by AWS in the past years.
|Year||AWS’s Net Sales Revenue|
- Amazon generated a revenue of $35.2 billion through Annual subscriptions in 2022.
The revenue generated by Amazon subscriptions is recorded to be more than $20 billion over the past three years. In the year 2021, Amazon was able to make $31.7 billion, while in 2020, it made $25.2 billion through subscriptions.
The following table displays the revenue generated by Amazon over the past years.
|Year||Revenue Generated By Amazon Subscriptions|
- Amazon generated $37.7 billion in 2022 through advertising.
The advertisements on Amazon are run in-store and have been able to generate decent revenue over the past years. It managed to generate $31.1 billion in 2021 and $ 15.5 billion in 2020 through advertising on the platform.
Here is a table displaying the revenue generated by Advertising over the past years.
|Year||Revenue Generated By Amazon Advertising|
- In the first quarter of 2023, Amazon generated a profit of $3.17 billion.
Comparatively, in the fourth quarter of 2022, Amazon generated a profit of $ 278 million. While in the first quarter of the year 2022, Amazon has to face a loss of $3.84 billion.
The following table displays the profit generated by Amazon in the past quarters.
|Quarter||Profit Generated By Amazon.|
|Q1 2023||3,172 million|
|Q4 2022||278 million|
|Q3 2023||2,872 million|
|Q2 2023||-2,028 million|
|Q1 2022||-3,844 million|
Source: Business of Apps.
- In the year 2022, Amazon had to face a loss of $2.72 billion.
The profit of Amazon went down from $ 33.36 billion in 20201 to -$2.72 billion in 2022. This was a huge loss compared to the ones in the past years. The highest loss faced by Amazon before this was $0.27 million in the year 2013.
The following table displays the profit and loss faced by Amazon over the past years.
|2022||– $2.72 billion|
Source: Business of Apps.
- Amazon generated net e-commerce sales of $142.43 billion in the year 2022.
Besides that, it generated $131.01 billion of net e-commerce sales in the year 2021 and $120.90 billion in the year 2020.
The following table displays the e-commerce net sales made by Amazon.com over the past years.
|Year||E-Commerce Net Sales Of Amazon.com|
- Amazon generated the highest net sales in the United States as of 2022 and is expected to generate more as of 2023.
Amazon generated net sales of $356.113 billion in the United States as of 2022. Comparatively, it generated $30.07 billion in the United Kingdom.
Let me provide you with the details of net sales generated by Amazon over the past years in different regions worldwide.
|United States||$356.113 billion||$314.006 billion||$263.520 billion|
|Germany||$33.598 billion||$37.326 billion||$29.565 billion|
|United Kingdom||$30.074 billion||$31.914 billion||$26.483 billion|
|Japan||$24.396 billion||$23.071 billion||$20.461 billion|
|Rest of world||$69.802 billion||$63.505 billion||$46.035 billion|
- Amazon generated net sales of $220 billion through its online stores.
While through Physical stores Amazon managed to generate a revenue of $18.63 billion. Besides, Third-party seller services generated a revenue of $117.71 billion in 2022.
The following table displays the revenue generated by Amazon over the past years in different ways.
|Means Of Revenue||2022||2021||2020|
|Third-party seller services||$117,716||$103,366||$80,461|
Source: Amazon investor report.
- The Brand value of Amazon was recorded to be $705.65 billion as of 2022.
While in the year 2021, the brand was valued at $ 683.85 billion, and in 2020, it had a valuation of $415.86 billion.
The following table displays the value of Amazon over the past years.
|Year||Value Of Amazon|
- Almost 200 people have subscribed to Amazon Prime as of 2023.
The number of Amazon subscribers increased by 10% from the year 2021 to 2022. In the year 2021, the number of Amazon Prime subscribers was 200 million.
The following table displays the percentage of Amazon Prime subscribers recorded over the past years.
|Year||Number Of Amazon Prime Subscribers.|
- There are 168 million Amazon Prime subscribers in the United States.
This number in the year 2021 was 174 million, while that in the year 2020 was recorded to be 147 million.
The following table displays the number of Amazon Prime users recorded over the past years in the United States.
|Year||The Number Of Prime Subscribers.|
Source: Business of Apps.
- The annual advertising expenditure made by Amazon in the year 2022 was $20.6 billion.
Amazon has increased its investments in advertising after the year 2020. The advertising costs of Amazon in the year 2021 were recorded to be $16.9 billion, an increase from $10.9 billion invested in 2020.
The following table displays the advertisement expenditure of Amazon recorded over the past years.
- The global traffic recorded on Amazon.com in 2022 was 2.4 billion worldwide.
In April 2022, the online traffic on Amazon.com was 2.3 million. While that in January 2022 was 2.7. These numbers indicate that the traffic on the platform has declined over the past months.
The following table displays the traffic recorded on Amazon.com over the past months.
|Month||Number Of Visits To Amazon.com|
|May 2022||2.4 billion|
|Apr 2022||2.3 billion|
|Mar 2022||2.4 billion|
|Feb 2022||2.2 billion|
|Jan 2022||2.7 billion|
|Dec 2021||2.9 billion|
- Direct visits to Amazon.com was recorded to be 5.6 billion as of 2022.
At the same time, 2.1 billion traffic came from organic searches, and 616.8 million visits were recorded through referrals.
The following table displays the number of visits recorded on Amazon.c0m through various sources.
|Source Of Visit||Visits On Amazon.com|
|Organic searches||2,100 million|
|Paid search||388.5 million|
|Display ads||28.3 million|
- 1,500,000 employees are working at Amazon.com as of 2023.
As per the data recorded in the year 2021, 1,608,000 employees were working at Amazon. This number reduced to 1,541,000 in 2022 due to the recession as the brand had to lay off many employees.
The following table displays the number of employees working at Amazon over the past years.
|Year||Number Of Employees|
- One of the most expensive acquisitions made by Amazon is Whole Foods.
Amazon acquired Whole Foods in the year 2017. It paid $13.7 billion for its acquisition. The second most expensive acquisition made by Amazon was Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. They paid 8.450 billion for this acquisition.
Let us take a look at the list of the most expensive company acquisitions made by Amazon over the past years.
|Acquisition Made By Amazon||Year||Value Of Acquisition|
- More than 65% of Amazon consumers shop through their desktops.
According to Statista, 64.9% of the people that shop on Amazon use the desktop to make purchases. At the same time, 16.6% of the consumers reported shopping through the mobile website, and 13.6% said they used the Amazon shopping app.
- Electronics are the most frequently bought products on Amazon.
Almost 44% of shoppers choose to buy electronics from Amazon. Besides, 43% of the shoppers prefer buying items like clothes, shoes, and jewelry from the platform.
Here is a table displaying the most frequently bought products from Amazon.
|Products||Percentage Of Consumers|
|Clothing, shoes, and jewelry||43%|
|Home and Kitchen||39%|
|Beauty and personal care||36%|
|Cell phones and accessories||28%|
|Movie and TV||25%|
- 80% of people shop from Amazon due to the fast and free shopping.
Amazon offers a wide range of services to its users. This provides various reasons for shoppers to choose Amazon over other e-commerce platforms.
However, according to Statista, 80% of shoppers prefer Amazon due to its shipping services, while 69% said they prefer the platform as they can select from a wide range of products.
The following table displays the top reasons shoppers prefer Amazon over other platforms.
|Reasons||Percentage Of Shoppers|
|Fast and free shipping||80%|
|Desire to use Prime membership||66%|
|Wide selection of products||69%|
|Best prices on products||49%|
- Approximately 66% of consumers search on Amazon for a new product they wish to buy.
Almost 90% of Americans prefer to buy from Amazon compared to other platforms. At the same time, around 7 out of 10 consumers said that they started to search for their new purchases from Amazon.
The following table displays the platforms where consumers start to search for their new purchases.
|Platform.||Percentage Of Consumers.|
44.) Amazon sales increased by 476% in Italy during the Black Friday sales in 2022.
Comparatively, Amazon sales increased by 440% in Germany and just by 269% in the United Kingdom during the Black Friday sales.
Conclusion: Amazon Statistics (2023)
As e-commerce is gaining more popularity with time, Amazon is expected to break its net sales record and create new milestones for itself and set benchmarks for the e-commerce industries. However, In 2023, the brand’s main goal will be to overcome the losses it faced in the previous years.
What’s more? Let’s wait and watch if Amazon will successfully create new records and if it can take over other brands.
You can check out our website for other such latest Statistical articles.