Launched in 2005, YouTube is the biggest video-sharing platform and the second-biggest social media in the world, with over 2.70 billion users.
Being the #2 website in the world, It is estimated that the number of YouTube’s global user count will reach 2.85 billion by 2025.
If you are a creator or a marketer who wishes to know more about the platform, then you are at the right place. I have compiled a list of up-to-date and detailed statistics related to YouTube, which will help you gain insights and make informed decisions for your future ventures.
Let’s begin, shall we?
Here is a quick overview of YouTube
|Founded||14th February 2005 (18 Years ago)|
|Headquarters||901 Cherry AvenueSan Bruno, California, United States|
|Key People||Susan Wojcicki (CEO), Chad Hurley (Advisor), Sundar Pichai (Alphabet CEO)|
Youtube Statistics Top Picks (2023)
Here are some of the key YouTube statistics in brief that every marketer should know:
- YouTube has more than 2.70 billion active users as of 2023.
- Youtube Premium has 80 million active users worldwide in 2023.
- 52% of internet users access YouTube at least once a month.
- Over 122 million people visit YouTube every day via its Website and Apps.
- YouTube has generated $14.358 billion via advertising so far in 2023.
- India is home to most YouTube users accounting for 467 million users. The USA follows with 247 million.
- 53.9% of YouTube users are Males, and Females make up around 46.1% of the user base.
- 720,000 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every day.
- YouTube Shorts surpassed 50 billion daily views in February 2023.
- Alphabet Inc. (Youtube’s parent company) earned $29.243 billion via YouTube ads in 2022.
- Technically, YouTube is the second biggest search engine after Google.
- T-Series (an Indian music record label) is the most subscribed YouTube channel having 247 million subscribers.
- Mr. Beast is the highest-earning YouTuber who earned $54 million in 2022.
- Users consume 1 billion hours of videos on YouTube every day.
- The majority of YouTube users are between the age of 25-34.
- YouTube is the second most popular platform for Influencer Marketing. Instagram tops the list.
- Comedy is the most-watched genre on YouTube.
- YouTube is currently banned in 6 countries.
- YouTube removed the dislike button from the platform in 2021.
- Before removing the dislike button, YouTube’s Rewind for 2018 was the most disliked video of all time, with 20.8 million dislikes.
In-depth YouTube Statistics
Let me show you the more detailed side of YouTube in this section.
YouTube Monthly Active Users.
As of 2023, YouTube has over 2.70 billion monthly active users.
- 52% of internet users worldwide access YouTube at least once a month.
- Over a quarter of the world’s population uses YouTube once every month.
- More than 50% of mobile internet users access YouTube every month.
Below is the table showing the growth in YouTube’s Monthly Active Users from 2010 to 2023:
|Year||YouTube Monthly Active Users|
YouTube Daily Active Users
It is estimated that over 122 million people visit YouTube every day via its Website and Apps.
- 62% of YouTube users in the U.S.A. access the platform daily. That is equivalent to 153.14 million people.
- Users consume 1 billion hours of videos on YouTube every day.
- Content worth 500 hours is uploaded on YouTube every day.
YouTube Premium Subscribers
YouTube Premium is the ad-free version of YouTube. You also get access to Youtube music when you purchase YouTube premium.
YouTube Red was rebranded as YouTube Premium in 2018. As of 2023, there are 80 million YouTube premium users globally.
Being Ad-free is not the only perk of YouTube Premium; it also lets you play videos in the background when you close the app.
Recently, YouTube ended the trial in which it was offering 4K videos to only the premium members. The Good news is that now 4K videos on the platform are not just exclusive to the premium members. Still, getting the premium plan is worth the money spent.
YouTube Music is another great addition to the package; I personally love YouTube Music’s audio output more than Spotify’s (talking about both on the highest Settings). Also, the autoplay suggestions are better than Spotify.
Here is the overview of YouTube Premium users as of 2022
|Year||Number Of Youtube Premium Subscribers|
YouTube Revenue Statistics
YouTube experienced over 30% growth in revenue in the past 4 years.
Youtube managed to register a revenue of $14.358 billion in revenue in the first two quarters of 2023
YouTube generated $28.8 billion in 2021, which is a 46% increase compared to 2020’s figures.
Here is the Overview of YouTube’s Yearly Revenue From 2010 to 2023:
|2023 (As of Q2)||$14.358 billion|
Youtube IAP Revenue By Region
The United States ranked first in generating the most revenue from YouTube in-app purchases in June 2023. Users spent over $35 million on the platform via their mobile devices. Japan and South Korea follow the US with $20.31 million and $8.65 million revenue respectively
Here is a table showing countries with the most YouTube In-App Purchases in 2023:
|Country||Youtube IAP Revenue|
YouTube Users by Country
The majority of YouTube users come from India (467 million). That means 18.68% of YouTube users are from India.
The U.S.A. is the country with the second-most YouTube users (247 million).
Here is the breakdown of the Top 15 countries with the most YouTube users as of 2023:
|Country||Number of Users|
|United States||247 million|
|United Kingdom||57.6 million|
|South Korea||46.4 million|
It is also important to note that YouTube is banned in 6 Countries.
Here is the list of the countries where YouTube is currently banned (2023).
- China (excluding Hong Kong and Macau)
- North Korea
- South Sudan
Amid the Russia-Ukraine War, YouTube is still not banned in Russia.
YouTube’s Rank Among Social Media.
As of 2023, YouTube is the second biggest social media in the world, with over 2.7 billion active users.
Only Facebook (2.9 billion) has more active users than YouTube.
There are 4.9 billion active social media users worldwide. This means that 55.10% of active social media users in the world access YouTube.
Here is a list of the biggest social media platforms in the world.
|Social Media Platform||Users|
|Facebook Messenger||931 million|
|Sina Weibo||584 million|
Related Reads: Social Media Checklist
YouTube Usage Statistics
YouTube users consume 1 billion hours’ worth of video every day. This figure translates to approximately 5 billion videos every day.
- A typical user spends around 20 minutes and 23 seconds on Youtube.
- YouTube hosts more than 800 million videos on the platform.
- 500 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube every minute.
YouTube Usage Statistics by Device
87.7% of all YouTube views come from a mobile device. It is no wonder that YouTube’s Android app has more than 10 billion downloads to date.
YouTube also states that more than 450 million hours of content is viewed on Smart TVs.
Gender and Age of YouTube Users
- 53.9% of global YouTube users are Males. Females make up around 46.1% of the user base.
Here is the overview of YouTube Users by their gender
|Gender||Share of YouTube Users||Share In Number|
Below is the Breakdown of YouTube Users As per their age and gender:
|18 to 24||8.5%||6%|
|25 to 34||11.6%||8.6%|
|35 to 44||9%||7.5%|
|45 to 54||6.2%||5.7%|
|55 to 64||4.4%||4.5%|
- The majority of global YouTube users are between the age of 25-34.
Here is the overview of global YouTube users as per their age
|Age Group||Share of Users|
|18 to 24||14.5%|
|25 to 34||20.2%|
|35 to 44||16.5%|
|45 to 54||11.9%|
|55 to 64||8.9%|
YouTube Penetration Statistics
The Netherlands is the country with the most YouTube penetration as of 2023.
YouTube’s penetration rate in the Netherlands is 94.9%.
Although India and the United States are the top two countries with the most YouTube users, they don’t even make it to the top 20 in Penetration rate.
India’s Penetration rate of YouTube is 37%, while the U.S.A. has a 79.3% penetration rate.
YouTube’s Worldwide penetration rate is 37.6%.
Here is the overview of YouTube’s Penetration Rate as of 2023
|Country||YouTube Penetration Rate|
YouTube Shorts Statistics
YouTube launched YouTube Shorts, a competition to Tik Tok in September 2020.
YouTube shorts was first launched in India. It was later rolled out for the U.S.A and 26 other nations. Currently, YouTube shorts are available in more than 100 nations.
- YouTube Shorts surpassed 50 billion daily views in February 2023.
Here is a table showing the daily views in June 2021 and February 2023:
|June 2021||30 billion|
|February 2023||50 billion|
- During the launch in India, the maximum time period to record a short was 15 seconds. Later, when it was launched in the USA and other countries, the time was lengthened to 60 seconds.
- 72% of YouTube Shorts are more than 15 seconds long.
- In the second quarter of 2021, YouTube announced a $100 million fund for YouTube Shorts which ran until 2022.
YouTube Channel Statistics
As of 2023, YouTube has over 51 million Channels.
T-series, an Indian music record label, is the most followed YouTube channel with 217 million subscribers.
PewDiePie is the individual YouTuber with the most subscribers. He has 111 million YouTube subscribers.
SET India is the most subscribed channel in the entertainment category with 133 million subscribers.
Blackpink, a K-pop girls group, is the most followed music artist channel with 74.2 million subscribers.
Here is an overview of the most followed YouTube Channels as of 2023:
|Channel||Link to their YouTube Channel||Subscribers|
|T-Series||YouTube Channel Link||247 million|
|MrBeast||YouTube Channel Link||176 million|
|Cocomelon Nursery Rhymes||YouTube Channel Link||163 million|
|SET India||YouTube Channel Link||161 million|
|Kids Diana Show||YouTube Channel Link||113 million|
|PewDiePie||YouTube Channel Link||111 million|
|Like Nastya||YouTube Channel Link||106 million|
|Vlad and Niki||YouTube Channel Link||100 million|
|Zee Music Company||YouTube Channel Link||98.1 million|
|W.W.E.||YouTube Channel Link||96.7 million|
|Blackpink||YouTube Channel Link||90.7 million|
|Goldmines Telefilms Pvt Ltd||YouTube Channel Link||88 million|
|Sony SAB||YouTube Channel Link||84.3 million|
|5-Minute Crafts||YouTube Channel Link||80.2 million|
|BANGTANTV||YouTube Channel Link||76.1 million|
|HYBE LABELS||YouTube Channel Link||72.3 million|
|Justin Bieber||YouTube Channel Link||71.7 million|
|Zee TV||YouTube Channel Link||71.5 million|
|Pinkfong||YouTube Channel Link||68.9 million|
|Canal KondZilla||YouTube Channel Link||66.6 million|
YouTubers With the Most Revenue
Mr. Beast is the highest-earning YouTuber as of 2023. Last year he earned around $54 million through YouTube.
Here is the overview of YouTubers with the most revenue:
|Mr. Beast||54 million|
|Jake Paul||45 million|
|Rhett and Link||30 million|
|Ryan Kaji||27 million|
|Dude Perfect||20 million|
|Logan Paul||18 million|
|Preston Arsement||16 million|
Additional YouTube Facts and Insights
In this section, we will go through some important data associated with YouTube in a quick manner!
Only 9% of Small Businesses In The United States Use YouTube
That means only 2.98 million businesses out of the 33.2 million use YouTube for their video marketing strategy. If you are a small business owner or a marketer who caters to small businesses, you should tap this untapped vast market to gain an edge over your competition.
In current times, it has become easier than ever to produce videos with generative AI.
Around 30% of Youtubers face difficulties in locating and engaging their desired audience
These problems include identifying the ideal time to post on the platform, doing the YouTube SEO, finding relevant hashtags and more.
Around 34% of videos removed from YouTube are deleted due to child safety reasons
An additional 5% of flagged videos were taken down because they were spam or had content that was misleading. Around 8% of the removed videos were deleted because they contained cyberbullying and harassment.
Here is a table showing the top reasons for the removal of YouTube videos:
|Reason For Removal||Share of Flagged Videos|
|Harmful Or Dangerous||17.1%|
|Violent or Graphic||16.4%|
|Budity or Sexual||12.1%|
|Harassment and Cyberbullying||8.3%|
|Spam, Misleading and Scams||4.6%|
|Hateful or Abusive||3.8%|
|Promotion of Violence and Violence Extremism||1.3%|
66% of people say their YouTube usage will increase in the future.
Around 66% of respondents in a Statista survey said that their YouTube usage will increase in the future while 19% said their usage will stay the same. 1% said it will remain the same.
Conclusion: YouTube Statistics (2023)
All the figures point towards one thing: YouTube’s popularity has been soaring through the years, and its usage is increasing. Creators are earning millions, and Businesses are spending more on advertising on the platform.
I hope I was able to give you an in-depth view of YouTube to plan out your next YouTube growth strategy. If I have missed anything, let me know in the comments below. As I keep updating all my articles regularly, I will go through the comment section and add your statistics on demand in my next update!