You will find the most important email marketing statistics to curate a well-converting campaign for your brand in 2023. Learn everything there is to know about the power of email marketing in business.
How will this post help you? Well, the importance of email marketing for increasing sales and brand awareness is recognized by marketers globally. But most of them are unaware of the trends and strategies that can be implemented to get the best bang for their buck.
So, we’ve compiled the most useful email marketing statistics based on reliable reports to help marketers understand what they need to do differently so that they will gain an edge over all the mainstream email marketing campaigns. Whether you’re a newbie or have some experience, these email marketing statistics are sure to help you.
Let’s get right into it!
Key Email Marketing Statistics 2023 (Top Picks)
While we recommend you read the article in full to get the maximum insights, we understand that some of the readers won’t have time to go through it. So, here is a list of the top picks from our post that will serve as a TLDR section.
- 4.37 billion people use emailing services every day.
- 347.3 billion emails are exchanged on a daily basis.
- Email marketing revenue stands at $10.89 billion as of 2023.
- 82% of marketers globally implement email marketing.
- 65% of marketers globally use automated email marketing.
- 47% of businesses use videos in their email marketing campaigns.
- Marketing emails have an opening rate of 18% worldwide.
- Marketing emails have a CTR of 2.6% worldwide.
- Marketing emails have a 14.1% Click to Open Rate globally.
- The unsubscribe rate of marketing emails is just 0.1% worldwide.
- Email marketing has an ROI of $36 USD.
- An average customer spends 10 seconds going through brand emails.
- 36.6% of emails globally are opened via mobile devices.
- 20% of marketing email campaigns are not optimized for mobile phones.
- 46% of customers prefer to be contacted by businesses via e-mails.
General Email Marketing Statistics
By staying up-to-date with these statistics, businesses can optimize their email marketing strategies and maximize their ROI in today’s competitive marketplace.
- The email marketing sector is valued at $10.89 billion as of 2023. It is expected to reach $17.9 billion by 2027. (Statista)
- There are 4.37 billion daily email users globally as of 2023. The number is set to reach 4.6 billion by 2025. (Statista)
- 347.3 billion emails are exchanged daily worldwide. The number is set to reach 376.4 billion by 2025. (Statista)
- As per a Litmus study, over 40% of marketers witnessed budget drops in email marketing after the pandemic. (Litmus)
- Across all sectors, the average email open rate is 18%, the click-through rate is 2.6%, and click to open rate is 14.1%. (Statista)
B2B Email Marketing Statistics
These essential b2b email marketing stats will empower marketers to assess and fine-tune their strategies, making sure they connect with their targeted businesses in a meaningful way and achieve tangible outcomes. By embracing the potential of B2B email marketing, businesses can cultivate lasting relationships and tap into exciting opportunities for growth.
- 77% of B2B implement email marketing to distribute content. (Optin Monster)
- B2B has a higher CTO ratio than B2C emails. (emfluence)
- Email marketing software is 2nd most used tool after analytical tools, with 85% of b2b marketers implementing it. (Content Marketing Institute)
- 90% of b2b businesses use email engagement as a metric to measure performance. That makes it the most popular metric. (Content Marketing Institute)
- Mailchimp is the top SaaS b2b email marketing software company. (Statista)
Additional B2B Email Marketing Statistics
- 59% of B2B marketers consider email marketing as their top revenue-generating channel.
- B2B Businesses have a 22% unique email opening rate.
- 81% of B2B marketers claimed they use email newsletters as the most common form of content marketing.
- B2B companies carry out one email marketing campaign in a month (25 days) on average.
- 89% of email campaigns are sent out using the businesses’ names.
- B2B emails have a 15% click-to-open rate.
B2C Email Marketing Statistics
B2C email marketing plays a significant role in connecting businesses directly with their end customers, enhancing brand awareness, and driving consumer engagement. Take a look at these informative stats on b2c email marketing below.
- 42.3% of American users subscribe to emails for savings and discounts. (elevently)
- Cart abandonment emails sent one hour after a customer leaves are the most effective, converting 6.33% of visitors. (Convince and Convert)
- More than half of customers say that emails affect their purchasing decision (Sale Cycle)
- 46.1% of people open abandonment cart emails (AdRoll)
- If you send less than 5 newsletters per week, your business will experience higher open and CTR (Get Response)
- Almost 22% of all email campaigns are opened within the first hour of being sent. (Get Response)
- 45% of internet users do not open emails from unknown senders. (Statista)
Additional B2C Email Marketing Statistics
- 60% of consumers returned to complete their pending purchase after they received a personalized email about their abandoned cart.
- B2B emails have a 13% click-to-open rate.
- B2B Businesses have a 25% unique email opening rate.
Mobile Email Marketing Statistics
Mobile email marketing has become increasingly important as consumers continue to rely heavily on their smartphones for communication, shopping, and seeking information. This section hilights the need for businesses to optimize their email campaigns for mobile devices, ensuring that content is easily accessible, visually appealing, and engaging on smaller screens.
- 36.6% of emails globally are opened via mobile devices. (Statista)
- 20% of marketing email campaigns are not optimized for mobile phones. (Statista)
- Apple’s native email app is the most popular email client on smartphones. Gmail comes in the second spot. (Litmus)
- Gmail is the most popular mailing service, with 1.5 billion active users as of 2023 (Wikipedia)
- 75% of Gmail users access their accounts via mobile devices. (Tech Crunch)
- A mobile device is responsible for one out of every three email clicks. (Campaign Monitor)
- Mobile phones account for nearly 55% of global website traffic. (Statista)
- Mobile-friendly email is the 2nd most popular strategy used by email marketers to boost their performance. (Hubspot)
- When a consumer reads an email on a mobile and then again on a desktop, the likelihood of clicking through increases by 66%. (Campaign Monitor)
Email Marketing Demographics
Understanding demographics for email marketing allows businesses to optimize their email marketing strategies for the people, resulting in more engaged recipients, higher open rates, and improved conversion rates.
- 96% of people check their email inbox every day (99 firms)
- Users check their email around 15 to 20 times a day (Hubspot)
- Independent professionals have the highest open rate (34.4%), followed by education (34.1%) and travel and tourism (32.6%). (Constant Contact)
- 26% of retail emails bounce. (Constant Contact)
- Personalization of emails based on demographics is used by 20% of retail, e-commerce, and FMCG companies. (Litmus)
- Nine out of ten American aged over 15 are using email. (99 firms)
- 74% of Baby Boomers believe emails are the most private channel for receiving advertising, followed by 72% of Generation X, 64% of Millennials, and 60% of Generation. (Bluecore)
- In the United States, 91% of women and 89% of men use email. (Statista)
- Asian Americans are the most common email users in the United States (92.1%), followed by other non-Hispanic users (91.8%), White non-Hispanic 91.7%), African American users (88.3%), Hispanic users (85.4%), and American Indian or Alaskan Native users (83.5%. (Statista)
Ideal Days to Send Marketing Emails
Finding the ideal days to send marketing emails can maximize engagement and effectiveness. Typically, Mondays Tuesdays and Wednesdays see higher open and click-through rates, making them an optimal choices for reaching your audience.
- Monday has the highest opening rate (22%)
- Tuesday is the best day for click-through rates (2.4%)
- Tuesday & Wednesday have the highest click-to-open rates (10.8%)
- The whole week has a stable unsubscription rate of 0.1%
Source: Campaign Monitor
Days to Avoid for Email Marketing
To minimize the risk of your marketing emails being overlooked, avoid sending them on weekends. These days generally experience lower open rates and engagement, reducing the overall impact of your campaigns.
- Sunday has the lowest opening rate, with 20.3%
- Saturdays and Sundays have the lowest click-through rates, with 2.1%
- Friday, Saturday, and Sunday have the lowest click-to-open rates, with 10.1%
Source: Campaign Monitor
Other Important Email Marketing Statistics
- 69% of email recipients can tell if an email is a spam by its subject line. (Optin Monster)
- On the iPhone email app, only the first 30 characters of a subject line are seen on the notification screen. (Yola)
- If you include emojis in an email’s subject line, your conversion rate will increase by up to 56% compared to text-only subject lines. (Campaign Monitor)
- Emails with personalized subject lines increase open rates by 35%. (Campaign Monitor)
- The United States has the most spam emails sent worldwide, followed by China and Russia. (Statista)
- More than 20% of emails do not reach the inbox. (IT Pro Today)
- Less than half of email marketers split-test their campaigns (Phrasee)
- Welcome emails typically have a 91.43% open rate.
E-mail marketing performance metrics worldwide
Here is a table showing the e-mail marketing performance metrics worldwide by business type:
|Business Type||Unique Open||Click||Click-to-open||Bounce||Unsubscribe|
- Affiliate Marketing Statistics
- YouTube Stats
- Ecommerce Statistics
- Quora Statistics
- Shopify Statistics
Conclusion: Email Marketing Statistics
This is our set of the most up-to-date and researched collections of email marketing statistics as of 2023. Use it to your advantage and gain an edge over your competitors with an awesome email marketing strategy.
Let me know if we have missed any important statistics. If you have any questions, feel free to comment below, we will be happy to answer.