Whether you’re an established business or just starting, everyone has seen the great digital shift. Digital Marketing was once considered to be a passing trend. Today, it has grown beyond our wildest dreams and taken over every aspect of a business.
Digitization has become an essential part of the business environment. While businesses may have garnered most of their sales in the past through traditional advertising, the landscape has now changed. Most businesses have already adapted to the shift, and those who have not done so will be out of business in the near future.
By understanding how other businesses operate online, you can determine which areas of your own business may require more attention.
We’ve compiled various digital marketing statistics in this post to help you understand the digital marketing environment and make informed decisions in the future. Let’s get into it real quick. Shall we?
Importance of Digital Marketing Statistics
- They can help you stay competitive. You can learn what everyone else is doing with the available data. This way, you stay ahead of your competitors and never lose an edge.
- Statistics assist you in prioritizing your actions. If you’re incorporating a cross-marketing strategy, you’ll want to know how different platforms perform compared to each other. With statistics to back up your decisions, you can determine which channels may necessitate more resources than others.
- When using digital marketing statistical data, you have complete confidence in what will work. This allows you to spend less time strategizing. The time you have saved can be utilized in other crucial tasks such as SEO and auditing.
Highlights From Digital Marketing Stats
- Digital advertising spending is forecasted to reach US$565.20bn in 2022.
- Search Advertising is the market’s biggest segment, with a volume of $202.40 billion.
- The United States will have the largest ad spending globally with $232.70 billion.
- The avg. spending per user on an advertisement in the Social Media segment is forecasted to be $45.11 in 2022.
- If we talk about 2026, 69% of the overall advertisement spending will be generated via smartphones.
- Roughly 87% of the Digital Advertising revenue will be generated via programmatic advertising in 2026.
- Digital marketing’s compound annual growth rate is expected to be 17.6% between 2021 and 2026.
- Social Media advertisement spending will amount to 230.30 billion in 2022.
- Facebook and Google Ads have the highest ROI rate in paid advertising.
- Digital advertising spending in 2021 was $436 billion US dollars. Traditional advertising was at $196 billion.
Source: Statista, WordStream, PR Newswire.
General Digital Marketing Statistics
- The Digital Marketing industry is predicted to reach $807 billion by 2026.
- Desktop takes 39% of the share in ad spending as of 2022, while smartphones take the remaining 61%.
- By 2026, desktops will have 31% of the ad spending share, and mobile phones will have 69%
- Non Programttic ad spending holds a mere 16% share in 2022, while programmatic holds 84%.
- 49% of marketers say that organic search has the best ROI.
- 20% of businesses say they measure Digital Marketing’s success by measuring the number of leads generated.
- 72% of the marketing budget goes towards Digital Marketing, according to a survey from Gartner.
- Google process 8.5 billion searches each day as of 2022.
- Google is the world’s biggest search engine catering to 92% of global searches.
- The marketing job demand is set to increase by 10% by 2026 as per a survey by the Bureau of labor.
- Customers spend 50% more with businesses that respond to reviews at regular intervals.
- Over 90% of people read reviews online before making a purchasing decision.
- Digital Advertisements can increase a brand’s awareness by 80%
- 62% of marketers use software for Customer Relationship Management.
Sources: TechJury, Statista, Wikipedia, Gartner, Bureau of labor, WordStream, Hubspot.
Email Marketing Statistics
Email Marketing is a crucial element in Digital Marketing. Every $1 spent on Email Marketing has an ROI of $36. That is 3600% returns. Crazy right? When you form your email marketing strategy, keep these statistics mentioned below in mind.
You can check our dedicated post on Email Marketing Statistics Here.
- Emails have 4.14 DAUs (Daily Active Users) as of 2022.
- Email Marketing generates $36 for every $1 spent.
- Globally 319.6 Emails are exchanged every day.
- More than a quarter of emails (36.6%) are opened by smartphone users every day.
- Mobile-friendly email is the second most popular strategy implemented by email marketers to increase their ROI.
- 20% of marketing email campaigns are not optimized for mobile phones.
- Revenue from Email Marketing is worth $8.49 billion as of 2022.
- Mondays have the highest opening rate – 22% while Sundays have the lowest with 20.3%.
- Tuesdays have the highest click-through rates – 2.4%, while Saturdays and Sundays observe the lowest CTR – 2.1%.
- 82% of digital marketers implement email marketing globally, out of which 65% use automated emails.
- 48% of brands make use of videos in their email marketing campaigns.
- Nearly 70% of email recipients can tell if an email is a spam simply by reading its subject line.
- Conversion rate increases by 56% if an Email has an emoji in its subject line rather than plain text.
- Marketing emails have an opening rate of 18%, CTR of 2.6%, and CTOR of 14.1% globally.
- The unsubscription rate of marketing emails is 0.1% globally.
- Customers spend 10 seconds going through brand emails on average.
- 46% of customers prefer to be contacted by brands via emails
The e-commerce scene has been booming for the last decade, and the Covid 19 pandemic gave a huge push to that craziness. The Ecommerce sector is now worth $4.9 billion. These Ecommerce Statistics are crucial for your Digital Marketing Strategy.
You can check our dedicated post on Ecommerce Statistics Here.
- 2.14 billion people, equivalent to 27% of the world’s population, are shopping online.
- 69% of total eCommerce traffic comes from an organic source (Google)
- 60% of Millennials will visit Amazon.com before making a purchase online.
- People trust the product reviews from their friends and family 80% of the time.
- Ecommerce websites have a conversion rate of 2.90%
- Shopify has the most out of 24 million e-commerce websites globally, with 5.6 million.
- 64.7% of online shoppers prefer to buy products that have content written in their mother tongue.
- The CRO strategy is not present in 68% of small-scale businesses.
Mobile commerce Statistics
Mobile e-commerce accounts for $3.4 trillion in retail e-commerce sales. That is HUGE! While mobile phones are now the preferred way of doing almost anything online due to the ease of use and availability, Optimizing your marketing campaigns for mobile phones is important. Here is a list of statistics that will help you do so.
- Smartphones account for 70% of all eCommerce visits.
- 93% of millennials use smartphones to compare online deals.
- 53% of smartphone users prefer to shop from their favorite business’s app.
- 65% of customers surf similar products on their mobile phones while in a store.
- $3.4 trillion worth of online retail e-commerce sales come from smartphones.
- Mcommerce websites’ bounce rates increase by 32% when their loading times jump from 1 to 3 seconds.
- 32% of customers decide their position about buying something in a store after looking up a similar product online on their smartphones.
- Mobile application conversion rates are 3x higher than a mobile website.
- Over 70% of online buyers prefer to buy from well-optimized websites that offer them a smoother shopping experience.
- 62% of customers are less likely to shop with you again if they have a bad experience with your website’s functioning.
- Adding Call To Action buttons can increase clicks by 45%.
- 61% of people tend to shop on mobile websites that allow them to apply search filters.
SEO is the backbone of any Digital Marketing strategy. No matter how quality leads you generate through an ad campaign if the leads are unhappy with your site’s experience, they just won’t convert. SEO is an umbrella term and has many aspects to it. These statistics below will help you understand its importance.
- The SEO industry is worth over $50 billion in 2022.
- Organic traffic is responsible for 53% of traffic to all websites.
- Brands with a dedicated blog have a 55% more traffic rate than those that don’t.
- 75% of people don’t go beyond Google’s first result page.
- Leads generated via SEO have a 15% closing rate.
- The #1 page on Google’s search results has an average 32% click rate.
- The #1 page has 1500 words on it on average.
- Nearly 50% of businesses claim that SEO is their best ROI generator.
- 86% of people ignore paid advertisements.
- More than half (55%) of the world’s internet traffic comes via smartphones.
- 92% of keywords have less than 10 searches each month.
- 25% of small business websites don’t have an H1 tag.
- Semrush and Ahrefs are the two most popular SEO tools globally. You can check our Semrush vs Ahrefs unbiased comparison here.
Social Media Marketing Statistics
Social Media Marketing, or SMM, is a popular branch of Digital Marketing. Social media usage is growing day by day especially short-form video consumption. In this section, we will discuss Statistics from various social media. This will help you plan your next SMM strategy
- The social media marketing sector is worth $160 billion and is projected to reach $223 billion by the end of 2022.
- There are over 4.26 billion social media users globally.
- Businesses allocate around 15% of their marketing budget toward social media marketing
- Over 90% of brands do social media marketing.
- Facebook advertising is the most popular ad program globally.
- Nearly 86% of businesses on Facebook make use of its advertising platform.
- Tik Tok is the fastest-growing social media.
- Below is the list of Top Social media as of 2022:
|Social Media Platform||Monthly Active Users|
|Tik Tok||1,000 million|
|FB Messenger||988 million|
|Tencent QQ||574 million|
|Sina Weibo||573 million|
Sources: DemandSage, WordStream, Meta, Bytedance, Wikipedia, Tik Tok, Influencer marketing hub, Bloomberg, The verge, NY Times.
Social Media Platform Specific Statistics
We have gathered statistics from all the top Social media so that you can have a better idea about them.
Check our In-depth statistics blogs here..
Let’s dive into the top statistics from each Social Media Platform
- Facebook has 2.9 billion monthly active users and 1.9 billion daily active users. It is the most used social media on the planet.
- 37% of the world’s population uses Facebook
- India is the country with the most Facebook users, with over 330 million people using it.
- South Asia is the region with the most Facebook users – 456.8+ million.
- 56.8% of facebook’s users are males, while 43.2% are females.
- Facebook has an advertisement reach of 2.14 billion.
- 27% of the world’s population sees Facebook ads.
- The average age of Facebook’s ad audience is 31 years.
- People aged 25-34 comprise most of the Facebook audience, with over 643 million users.
- Over 98% of facebook’s audience login to the platform via mobile phones.
Source: Meta, DemandSage, Detareportal.
- Instagram has 2 billion monthly active users and over 500 million daily active users
- Instagram’s audience consists of 50.7% males and 49.3% females.
- 2 billion people interact with Instagram’s story feature every month.
- Instagram is the 4th most used social media platform with 2 billion MAUs.
- It is estimated that around 95 million (9.5%) bot accounts on Instagram.
- India is home to most Instagram users – 230.25 million.
- An average user spends 30 minutes on Instagram.
- Cristiano Ronaldo is the most followed person on Instagram with 457 million followers.
Tik Tok Statistics
- Tik Tok is the Sixth most popular Social network in the world, with 1 billion MAUs.
- 57% of Tik Tok users are females, and 43% are males.
- It is predicted that Tik Tok will have 1.5 billion MAUs by the end of 2022.
- 20.83% of global internet users access Tik Tok
- Over 1 billion videos are viewed on the platform every day.
- Tik Tok’s ad reach is 885 million.
- As of 2022, Youtube has over 2.5 billion monthly active users.
- Youtube is the world’s biggest video-sharing platform and 2nd biggest social media.
- 52% of the internet users access youtube at least once a month globally.
- Over 122 million users visit youtube each day via its Website and Apps.
- India has the most Youtube users – 467 million.
- 53.9% of Youtube’s audience are males. 46.1% make up the female audience.
- People watch 1 billion hours of videos on Youtube each day.
- Most Youtube users are between the age of 25 to 34.
- Youtube is the 2nd platform of choice for Influencers. Instagram is first.
Influencer Marketing Statistics
Influencer marketing is yet another crucial part of Digital Marketing. This set of influencer marketing statistics will help you understand why your business needs to start investing in influencers ASAP!
- The influencer marketing sector is worth $14 billion.
- Influencer marketing has an ROI of 650% as marketers get $6.5 for every $1 invested
- Influencer marketing has surpassed print advertising in effectiveness
- Nearly 56% of marketers from the United States and the United Kingdom use Instagram to collaborate with influencers
- Micro-influencers are more popular than mega influencers among marketers.
- By 2028, the Influencer marketing industry will be worth $85 billion.
Conclusion: Digital Marketing Statistics (2022)
This is our detailed list of statistics associated with digital marketing. Use this data to make informed decisions and plan your next digital marketing strategy. With our up-to-date figures sourced from top research platforms globally, you can rest assured about the legitimacy of each stat.
We will keep on updating this pace as we get our hands on more data related to Digital Marketing.